GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I agree with GRRM.

Me too, for the most part. I mean, 12 seasons probably would've been enough. Hell, 10 seasons would have been a hell of a lot better than the rushed final two seasons we got, especially since they even cut the number of episodes. (WTF?)

Yavar

Yup. Without knowing how the story would actually end and where it was going, the writers had little way of knowing early on what was filler and what wasn't, so we ended up with a lot of filler. Maybe in a decade or two when the books are complete by Martin or his estate, we'll get a definitive animated version.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The sad truth is...

ga6ucesw1tr31.jpg

ok, but those were the 5-10 minutes that dragged every episode. The final two seasons were all drag.

Well, it had great direction, great production values, the battle scenes were expertly filmed by Miguel Sapochinik, the score was not bad...

It's just the writing that was horrible.

In a way, it's like a pretty bad Hollywood blockbuster movie: come for the spectacle, try not to think too much about the screenwriting.

5 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

More interested in what Amazon will do with Wheel of Time now.

I remember when Lost was a huge success, so TV networks thought that people were interested in serialized sci-fi with lots of intriguing misteries and enigmas. So a lot of Lost-like TV shows premiered on American TV back then, some were good (I loved Fringe), some started good and then became terrible (Heroes), and most of them were awful and got cancelled without an ending (FlashForward, the V remake, The Event, the Spielberg-produced Terra Nova). I can easily see the same happening with GOT, these streaming services will get so anxious to have their own epic fantasy series that most of them will flop - like Netflix's The Witcher, which seems a dumpster fire.

They're still doing Lost rehashes and they're still shit.  Difference is the Robert Jordan books are pretty good source material and it's a completed story that can be freely adapted.  Decent chance of it surpassing GOT in quality if they do it right, if not necessarily in cultural impact.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:09 AM, Docteur Qui said:

Jesus, 13 seasons? No thanks.

Well, considering HBO is trying to write 5 prequel series from scratch, and they had to write the last 3 seasons of GOT from scratch (which didn’t go so great), they’ve got to be wishing they had a bit more thoroughly milked the 5,200 pages GRRM has published.

• 2 weeks later...

This has got to be the biggest con job in television history.

If we would've known this information from the beginning, I think we would've been more understanding when it all started to break apart and fall off a cliff. The details they give sound completely scummy and incompetent - didn't want to hire other writers because of simple greediness, eschewed fantasy to appeal to other demographics, wanted shots of baby penises... what the fuck??

This is just ridiculous. It's why I thought this was the attendee's satirical take on the event...

I'm sure all this info that comes from a twitter account is absolutely unbiased. Sure.

Besides, most of the info isn't new: they've talked about the horrible pilot (it couldn't have been so horrible since a significant part of it was still retained for the actual first episode, which I hear it was considered rather good), the first season's episodes being too short (and learning to create new scenes that weren't on the books from that experience), not having previous experience, actors influencing their characters (doesn't this happen in virtually any series?) and so forth many times before.

But yeah, let's trust a random twitter user and create an article with a click-baiting headline without  contrasting with any other sources.

Actually, their gambit worked. I can't tell about NFL players, but my mom loved the show. Every monday morning she used to talk about the latest episode with her friends from work, which are about the same age as her.

:(

HBO‘s ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Series Starring Naomi Watts Is Dead – Report
This particular “Game of Thrones” prequel series was set to take place thousands of years before the story of the HBO series.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/hbo-game-of-thrones-prequel-series-naomi-watts-1202185932/

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Thankfully, she is alive and well, although probably disappointed that she won't be starring on an big budget HBO show that is part of the most popular TV franchise of the decade.

For all we know she dodged a bullet!

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

:(

HBO‘s ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Series Starring Naomi Watts Is Dead – Report
This particular “Game of Thrones” prequel series was set to take place thousands of years before the story of the HBO series.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/hbo-game-of-thrones-prequel-series-naomi-watts-1202185932/

Why isn't @mstrox complaining about this? They should never have announced this new show and cast Naomi Watts if they're not gonna make it.

HBO should start committing to ideas rather than committing to people!

It seems like they shot a whole bunch and were in post production when shit hit the fan. Test audiences and everything so they were committed @Stefancos just not enough it seems to pick up the pieces.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why isn't @mstrox complaining about this? They should never have announced this new show and cast Naomi Watts if they're not gonna make it.

HBO should start committing to ideas rather than committing to people!

Well, TV shows have no-go pilot episodes, early cancellations, etc. - so a slightly different beast.  If HBO promoted the GoT prequel more aggressively than they would any other pilot, then they met it with a level of pomp that should probably be reserved for something going straight-to-series, or at least greenlit after a pilot.

But really, I'm not criticizing HBO's press department over here because even though I liked GoT and thought the final season was fine, I don't have a particular interest in watching any other stories in that universe - whereas I am very interested in Star Wars!  I think they should have developed a movie with the GoT guys behind the scenes, and then once they had at least a satisfactory plan, announced the movie.  All of these hires-and-fires is pretty bad press.  (If you want my other Star Wars opinion, they should also not commit to series/trilogies a'la Johnson and the GoT guys, and instead develop single self-contained movies in the hopes that they are good enough to continue those characters' stories)

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw that tweet, I (along with probably a lot of people) thought that the announcement of GRRM's much delayed sixth ASOIAF book The Winds of Winter was imminent... But it's probably just a reference for the actual winter on the Northern Hemisphere :( 

The social media intern probably wanted to make a joke, but because of Martin's book the tweet became viral.

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

When I saw that tweet, I (along with probably a lot of people) thought that the announcement of GRRM's much delayed sixth ASOIAF book The Winds of Winter was imminent... But it's probably just a reference for the actual winter on the Northern Hemisphere :( 

The social media intern probably wanted to make a joke, but because of Martin's book the tweet became viral.

I assumed it was related to the upcoming BluRay release. The show twitter account wouldn’t have anything to do with a book that is never going to be released anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's akin to making a cake and then right as you take it out of the oven, your mitten snags on the door and you drop the cake - and the ensuing, but still delicious mess is Season 8. The delicious parts, or what's edible are the things we love from the show, the characters , the acting, the nudity. The hair and toenail encrusted side is the fucking awful ending that can't ever be undone.

Oh, and then you find out the mitten didn't catch on the door, but it was actually your doofus twin siblings, D&D who were running through the kitchen when they knew you were about to take the cake out. Little bastards.