GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

The finale was akin to having somebody remove every few pages from the last couple chapters of a really good book you've been reading for eight years, and passing it off as the finished work. 

The pieces you have are reasonably good, but you can tell that you are missing parts of the story. Characters make decisions without the proper motivations. Everything felt rushed and undeserved. 

And having one of the show creators admit in a "behind the scenes" that the most motivated character on the show rushed into battle against a naval foe and simply forgot that he had surface-to-capability even though her air support had perfect long range vision was an absolute crime against logic. It was the moment of artificially converting a major protagonist into final villain. 

• 1 month later...

Confederate Officially Axed: HBO Confirms Controversial Slavery Drama From Game of Thrones EPs Is Dead

So D&D rushed Game of Thrones to the finish line because they'd been hired to do a new HBO show and new Star Wars trilogy, then got fired off both of those, but for some reason Netflix gave them $200mil anyway

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The coronavirus has put George in isolation, and he's (finally) writing the book:

For those of you who may be concerned for me personally… yes, I am aware that I am very much in the most vulnerable population, given my age and physical condition.   But I feel fine at the moment, and we are taking all sensible precautions.  I am off by myself in a remote isolated location, attended by one of my staff, and I’m not going in to town or seeing anyone.   Truth be told, I am spending more time in Westeros than in the real world, writing every day.   Things are pretty grim in the Seven Kingdoms… but maybe not as grim as they may become here.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/03/17/strange-days/

He didn't mentioned specifically that he's writing The Winds of Winter. Maybe he already finished it, and now he's doing A Dream of Spring, to release them with little time separating the release of both books? One can hope.

Glad to hear he is staying isolated. Also glad to hear he is writing. It is definitely still TWoW, though. When he’s done, he will announce it, and it will get published ASAP.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Don't bet on it. He's probably writing the Complete History of Tarth...

This was my thought. It could be that second history of the Targaryens book too. Or a new Westeros project. As much as I'd love to think it's Winds of Winter, I see no reason to make assumptions one way or the other.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, A. A. Ron said:

This was my thought. It could be that second history of the Targaryens book too. Or a new Westeros project. As much as I'd love to think it's Winds of Winter, I see no reason to make assumptions one way or the other.

I wouldn’t say ‘no reason.’ We can at least tentatively rely on his statements of the past year, which have been pretty emphatic and repeated on this point. The Winds of Winter is next, followed by a ‘Dunk & Egg’ story, followed by A Dream of Spring. He has made no promises past that, except that he would probably like to do more ‘Dunk & Egg’ stories, and he would like to do another ‘Targaryens book’ (as you call it), but IF this happens it will not be till after A Dream of Spring.

If he has any business sense, he would write The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring to make bank. All these off-shoots are not going to sell nearly as well as the those 2 books are. The iron's still hot, GOT hasn't faded from consciousness. He can capitalize in a big way still.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

If he has any business sense, he would write The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring to make bank. All these off-shoots are not going to sell nearly as well as the those 2 books are. The iron's still hot, GOT hasn't faded from consciousness. He can capitalize in a big way still.

He’s raking $20 million a year already. He’s more interested in winning Hugos than anything else. Anyway, one short story is not going to derail A Dream of Spring in any significant way. ASOIAF has clearly become a chore. Whatever he’s motivated to write is fine with me, at this point. Have you read the Dunk & Egg stories, by the way? Delightful stuff!

I have sadly myself outgrown fantasy entirely. I will never be able to really read fantasy fiction ever again, not at this length anyways.

I would say given the delays, almost anything else apart from TWOW or ADOS is a derailment. He's setting himself up for never writing them. 

He should swallow his pride, get a co-writer or ghost writer, just put it the hell out and make a lot of including himself some money.

36 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I have sadly myself outgrown fantasy entirely. I will never be able to really read fantasy fiction ever again, not at this length anyways.

Eh, well, never say never. I read voraciously in my youth, then it pretty much dried up for a decade or two, and now I’ve at least got a pretty steady stream going, mostly through audiobooks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:10 AM, Jay said:

That's not the theme that's the ostinato that plays before the theme

The first 6 notes of the main theme are exactly the same notes as the ostinato.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

this really is never happening. To think in 2015 he thought he was nearly ready... imagine if the TV show had waited for him?!?

I think maybe he was very nearly finished the book but I reckon he scraped it all and started again.

He's still less behind schedule than Tolkien was on LOTR, if I remember correctly. (Of course, Tolkien then proceeded to get The Silmarillion ready for publication, and failed to get that done in the remaining 18 years of his life, but thanks to his son Christopher we got to see tons of material that wasn't finalised for publication during J.R.R. Tolkien's lifetime).

6 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Will this be a novelisation of the last season of the television series?

Yes.

One thing I cannot possibly imagine is how is he going to be able to resolve all the plot threads in those two books. It's safe to say Bran will still end up on a throne and Dani will  still go mad. Everything else might be very different though. But how can you get there with this little time?

I have yet to finish reading the existing books but based on what I've read they're more satisfying than the show. I really love the unreliable narrator(s) framework and things being left out.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

One thing I cannot possibly imagine is how is he going to be able to resolve all the plot threads in those two books. It's safe to say Bran will still end up on a throne and Dani will  still go mad. Everything else might be very different though. But how can you get there with this little time?

In his most recent statement, he said something to the effect that he's finishing a new chapter every few days, but it'll still take until next year because it's a long book. Two long books are plenty of time to resolve a lot of stuff (though of course there really is an awful lot of stuff to resolve).

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I have yet to finish reading the existing books but based on what I've read they're more satisfying than the show. I really love the unreliable narrator(s) framework and things being left out.

That Arya cliffhanger in book 3 (was it?) was worse (in a positive sense) than the Red Wedding. And that still was much more intense than the (to me) rather disappointingly tame version in the series. I read those chapters on a business trip to Germany - I left the office in the afternoon to fly there, but only had the first customer appointment the next day. I started reading at the airport in Vienna (not at the beginning of the book, I'd already been reading it for several days), and couldn't put it down until I turned out the light in my hotel room hours later.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Did GRRM actually write the last season of GOT? That was never clear to me. 

He didn't write any season of GOT, the show is based on his books (but he did do the scripts for 1 episode each in the first 4 seasons)

If you're asking when the shows passed the published books, it goes like this:

Season 1 = book 1

Season 2 = book 2

Season 3 = first 2/3 of book 3

Season 4 = rest of book 3, some of books 4/5

Season 5 = heavily condensed and altered version of books 4/5, some material beyond the published books

Season 6 = heavily condensed and latered version of books 4/5, some more material beyond the published books

Season 7 = beyond the published books

Season 8 = beyond the published books

The only thing that happens in Season 7 and 8 that are certainly events GRRM told the showrunners about, that will likely be the same in books 6 and 7 if he finishes them, is the origin of Hodor, and the true parents of Jon Snow.  Anything else that happens in those later seasons could be based on ideas GRRM told them, or could be stuff D&D completely made up themselves, we have no idea.

That's what I meant, is it based on his writing? And when I ask that, I'm thinking mainly of the dialogue, whether some of it was taken over or not. So it's definitely not the case for S7 and S8. Hmm ...

If he finishes the book next year, then it'll be exactly 10 years since he published the last one and the premiere of the show.

If he continues this pattern, book 7 will be released at some point in 2031.

The first 4 seasons are full of dialogue taken directly from his books, and seasons 5 and 6 feature some of his dialogue too.... but by season 7 & 8 there was no more books to pull dialogue from so they made it up themselves

32 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

If he continues this pattern, book 7 will be released at some point in 2031.

Bearing in mind that the wait between books is increasing, if he continues this pattern book 7 will be released at some point in 2037...