GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Bearing in mind that the wait between books is increasing, if he continues this pattern book 7 will be released at some point in 2037...

Yeah, it'll be released when he's 89 :( .

Let's just hope he remains as strong and healthy as John Williams.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:18 PM, crocodile said:

I have yet to finish reading the existing books but based on what I've read they're more satisfying than the show.

Books 4 and 5 are over long awful, plodding, disasters. I think the TV show saved his ass because I don't think anyone would care about these books at this point without it. 

The Iron Islands and the (f)Aegon stuff... It's just too bloated. The TV show had its own problems but to say the last two books were more satisfying would be false. I read Storm of Swords in about 3 days. I loved it. Couldn't put it down. Feast took well over a month. 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:36 PM, Jay said:

The first 4 seasons are full of dialogue taken directly from his books, and seasons 5 and 6 feature some of his dialogue too.... but by season 7 & 8 there was no more books to pull dialogue from so they made it up themselves

Ah, okay. The dialogue is often full of wit so I was wondering if it came from GRRM or some in-house writer from HBO.

The beginning of each episode tells you the name of the person who wrote the script 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:11 PM, Jay said:

He didn't write any season of GOT, the show is based on his books (but he did do the scripts for 1 episode each in the first 4 seasons)

If you're asking when the shows passed the published books, it goes like this:

Season 1 = book 1

Season 2 = book 2

Season 3 = first 2/3 of book 3

Season 4 = rest of book 3, some of books 4/5

Season 5 = heavily condensed and altered version of books 4/5, some material beyond the published books

Season 6 = heavily condensed and latered version of books 4/5, some more material beyond the published books

Season 7 = beyond the published books

Season 8 = beyond the published books

The only thing that happens in Season 7 and 8 that are certainly events GRRM told the showrunners about, that will likely be the same in books 6 and 7 if he finishes them, is the origin of Hodor, and the true parents of Jon Snow.  Anything else that happens in those later seasons could be based on ideas GRRM told them, or could be stuff D&D completely made up themselves, we have no idea.

Well, season 6 is basically stuff beyond the published books. There are only a few remaining events (Euron's election as King, and Jaime at the Riverlands) that were taken from book 4.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, Alexcremers said:

That's what I meant, is it based on his writing? And when I ask that, I'm thinking mainly of the dialogue, whether some of it was taken over or not. So it's definitely not the case for S7 and S8. Hmm ...

Most of the dialogue of the series is not taken from the books, except for the very first season. Of course, there are some lines here and there, but I'd say the % of dialogue from the books is rather small (and grows smaller with each season).

Long before S7 most of the dialogue is not taken from the books at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Game of Thrones 4K Complete Set is a Must for Fans

Winter is coming… in 4K.

Individual seasons of the hit HBO series have been available for some time, but a new press release from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has revealed the entire Game of Thrones series will be released in 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever.

The Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection is a 33-disc set covering all 73 episodes of the award-winning series. You will also get 15 hours of bonus special features. The collection is available for preorder at Amazon for $210 (or $289.99 in Canada). An exclusive collector’s edition of the set, called the steel book, can be preordered at Best Buy for $240 (or $320.43 in Canada).

Check out the press release below for more information.

Game-of-Thrones-Box-Set.jpg

Just in time for the 2020 holiday season!

The Game of Thrones 4K Complete Set is here!

BURBANK, CA, July 9, 2020 – The #1 selling home entertainment television series of all time*, and most-watched series in HBO history, Game of Thrones remains a blockbuster hit and cultural sensation. Now, for the first time ever, the entire series can be owned in spectacular 4K Ultra HD when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment releases Game of Thrones®: The Complete Collection on 4K Ultra HD Blu-rayTM on November 3, 2020. Featuring all 73 episodes along with over 15 hours of bonus content, plus Digital Copy (US only), this must-have set is priced to own at $254.99 SRP ($289.99 in Canada). Game of Thrones Seasons 1-8 are also available to own on Digital in HD via purchase from digital retailers.

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection on 4K Ultra HD will also be available in an exclusive limited-edition version at Best Buy for $285.43 SRP ($320.43 in Canada). Containing the same episode and bonus content, all eight epic seasons will be featured in individual steelbooks and housed in a striking individually numbered metal case.

Based on the best-selling novel series by George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones has earned a total of 161 Emmy® nominations and 59 wins, which are the most nominations and wins of any Comedy or Drama series in Emmy history. The Cultural Phenomenon also stands as HBO’s most-viewed program ever, with the final season averaging a record-setting 44 million viewers in the U.S.

The ensemble cast includes Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) and Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont).

“We are thrilled to offer Game of Thrones fans an in-home viewing experience worthy of the groundbreaking show with the long-awaited release of Game of Thrones:  The Complete Series on 4K Ultra HD,” said Rosemary Markson, WBHE Senior Vice President, Television Marketing.  “For the first time ever and unavailable anywhere else, loyal fans and collectors will be able to enjoy every extraordinary moment of this iconic show in eye-popping 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision HDR.  Packed with over 15 hours of special features spanning all 8 seasons and a digital copy of every episode, this collectable set also makes a perfect holiday gift!”

The 4K Ultra HD discs of Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame.

Also, the 4K Ultra HD discs of Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection will feature Dolby Atmos® soundtracks remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar; however, Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

The 4K Ultra HD release includes over 15 hours of bonus features originally released on the 2019 Game of Thrones: The Complete Series and The Complete Collection (Limited Collector’s Edition) Blu-ray sets.

Game-of-Thrones-Series-BluRay-1.jpg

MORE THAN 15 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES INCLUDING

• Game of Thrones: Reunion Special: A two-part reunion show shot live in Belfast with the cast, both past and present, hosted by Conan O’Brien and available exclusively on these complete series collections. The reunion special is assembled in segments focused on Houses Lannister, Stark, & Targaryen and concludes with the key players all onstage for their final reflections on the years they shared in Westeros and Essos.
  • Game of Thrones: The Last Watch: A documentary by filmmaker Jeanie Finlay chronicling the making of the final season.
  • Conquest & Rebellion: An Animated History of Seven Kingdoms
  • Audio CommentariesDeleted and Extended Scenes, Behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more from all 8 seasons!

DIGITAL

Game of Thrones Seasons 1-8 and The Complete Series are currently available to own on Digital. Digital purchase allows consumers to instantly stream and download to watch anywhere and anytime on their favorite devices. Digital movies and TV shows are available from various digital retailers including Prime Video, Apple TV, Google Play, Vudu and others.

4K ULTRA HD

Street Date: November 3, 2020

Rating: TV-MA

33 Discs (23 BD-100s, 7 BD-66s, 3 BD-50s)

4K UHD Presented in 16×9 widescreen format

Audio: English, French, Spanish

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Runtime: Feature Approx. 75 hours

Enhanced Content: Approx. 15 hours

On 7/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, Alexcremers said:

Watching it all again, it amazes how effortlessly Charles Dance pulls off 'authority'. 

Tywin.jpg

He always does it very well. Especially aristocratic authority. And he is particularly wonderful as Tywin Lannister and I am so glad they expanded his role compared to the books and fleshed him out. When I first read the novels I remember thinking that he would be an awesome Tywin Lannister and lo and behold he was cast in the role. Apparently somebody in the GoT team thought the same. :)

Finished rewatching Season 5 which is somewhat blemished by:

sandsnakes.jpg

On the other hand, why does no one ever mention Stephen Dillane, the man who played Stannis Baratheon?

game-of-thrones-why-stannis-baratheon-ac

Even Anthony Hopkins wouldn't have done a better job.

Stephen Dillane is really wonderful in this role (as he is in many of his other ones). He usually plays rather likeable people but he portrays Stannis so well as an obsessive and unflinchingly rigid mostly disliked man who in his need to be the king, because he thinks it is his right, tries to force his rule on everyone without any consideration if he should or without true power to back up the claim. His character is also in the end a truly pitiful man who is raised to be this candidate for the Iron Throne by a misinterpretation of a prophecy that never referred to him and by the constant enforcement of this idea by the "oracle" Melisandre who drives him to his doom in her misguided belief that costs him everything. One of the many great performances in the series.

Maybe he didn't get a lot of attention on JWFan, but around the web he was very much praised for Stannis.  He was a fan favorite character until towards the end.  Though a lot of book readers were sad they changed the character so much from how he was in the books, they still heaped a lot of praise on Dillane

On 7/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

honestly, it's GOT, not The War Of The Roses.

...which was literally the inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire:

Westeros is probably closer to medieval Britain than anything else. Geographically, it occupies a somewhat similar position off a larger contintent, although Westeros is considerably larger and is, in fact, a continent itself, more like South America. And although I've drawn on many parts of history, the War of the Roses is probably the one my story is closest to.

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

It’s based on a lot of things, but definitely the whole Stark (= York) and Lannister (= Lancaster) feud is based on the War of the Roses.

I thought the WAR OF THE ROSES was DeVito vs. Douglas?

I've nearly finish season 4 of GOT, which is shaping up to be my favourite season, so far. I cheered when Sansa hit Robin, and laughed out loud, when Lysa took a dive out of the Moon Door...and what The Mountain did to that guy's head...whoa!

Ps, Joffrey was a thoroughly nasty cunt, and he deserved to die.

52 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Mountain did to that guy's head...whoa!

On the other hand, Oberyn Martell was an amusing character and I was sad to see him 'go'. That's the thing with GOT, don't get too attached to the characters. You never know how long they will last.

63d0c2c0e7752f46d6cb35cdf5c94717.jpg

BTW, during his fight with The Mountain, I thought he had the moves of Darth Maul. Did anyone notice that? No? Watch it again then!

Yes, there were a few Maul-esque moves, in there. I really thought that he'd killed The Mountain. Oh, well.

Now, Tywin's dead (on the shitter, of all places!), and Shae (signposted), and Arya has gone fishing. I hope The Hound isn't dead.

Roll on season 5.

Well, season 5 is almost over - just two more episodes to watch.

It's not bad, but I can't help but think that, after season 4, it's all a little shapeless.

The series misses Tywin badly, as he, imo, held it all together. Charles Dance was a towering presence, and one whose passing leaves a massive hole.

It's still good fun, however, and I look forward to finishing it.

What on earth is Jon Snow and his chums going to do, against an ever-growing army of re-animated White Walkers?

On 7/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've nearly finish season 4 of GOT

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, season 5 is almost over - just two more episodes to watch.

Wow, that was fast!

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What on earth is Jon Snow and his chums going to do, against an ever-growing army of re-animated White Walkers?

oh my sweet summer lad

It's incredible:

Jon Snow enters the White Walker's domain and faces the 'White King', the apparent leader of the Walkers and the original White Walker. The duel is arguably one of the best in the show, but the fun doesn't stop there! Snow and his team of merry men narrowly escape the Walkers, and run back to the wall, knowing the undead are in pursuit and will come in numbers that make the legions of orcs in Return of the King look like piss - like billions upon billions of them. Jon manages to convince those in King's Landing that the White Walkers are coming and the whole realm gathers for an epic confrontation. From King's Landing, we learn the Night's Watch has fallen and the army of the dead is pouring into Westeros. Within days, King's Landing is surrounded but the White Walkers wait to press their attack. Three agonizing days go by and the fear of the oncoming slaughter wreaks havoc on those within the city. Then on the third day the White King appears and in his arms he's holding Bran. He launches the siege upon the city and all hell breaks loose. Then, at the last minute before all is lost, not one, not two, not three, but eighty nine huge fucking dragons appear in the sky, lead by Dany who has resurrected the Dragons of Old to rescue the main characters. The Walkers are burned to ashes, but the White King raises his ice sword and all of the dragons fall from the sky. Dany is presumed dead. Jon Snow confronts the King one last time but is killed by Bran, who's being controlled by Cersei Lannister. Cersei's laughter echoes through the city, but is short-lived as a figure emerges from the rubble and corpses. It's Daenerys! She brushes off the ash and blood and sprouts two giant dragon wings and takes to the sky...

I would go on, but alas, that would spoil too much.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've nearly finish season 4 of GOT, which is shaping up to be my favourite season, so far.

I think it's the best season of the show too (with season 3 as second best). Reason why? In part because it's a third of a book, adapted over 10 episodes. Not rushed, good character development. Good writing (some from the books, some new and added in).

Yavar

I didn't think seasons 1-3 felt rushed, or lacked in any character development.  All of seasons 1-4 was pretty consistent in pacing and tone I thought.

Seasons 5 & 6 things started to change, and by Seasons 7 & 8 the characters are no longer acting like themselves (and the pace is ridiculous)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I didn't think seasons 1-3 felt rushed, or lacked in any character development.  All of seasons 1-4 was pretty consistent in pacing and tone I thought.

Have you read the books, though? Season 1 absolutely rushes through some parts, and Season 2 *really* rushes (quite noticeably, IMO). Season 3 is more back to a Season 1 pace (because even though only two-thirds of it is adapted here, the third book is much longer). Season 4 is easily the least rushed, conveying the greatest percentage of book content in the show. And I think it's all the better for it.

Yavar

36 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

the show is better anyway 

Some parts of the show improve on the books (like Arya being cupbearer for Tywin Lannister instead of Rose Bolton, and Brienne and The Hound meeting, etc etc...) while for other parts the books are definitely superior!

Yavar