GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

21 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I didn't like the Jamie/ Cersei or Hound/ Mountain ending either.

But, the scene where Hound convinced Arya to forgo revenge, was classic!

Even the weaker eps had good things.

Agreed on all counts. Every episode did have at least something good in it.

Write your own damn scripts. Im sure there is lotsa fan fiction out there that tells the story the " right way".

Ah yes, the cliche but idiotic notion that I shouldn't complain about a story unless I've written something better myself. No, fan fiction is not an adequate substitute for a mediocre or disappointing sequel, prequel, or ending.

19 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Yeah that's completely fair enough. But I thought the real tragedy was when she turned, her death was just the logical conclusion of that action. Might've helped if Kit Harington had the chops to pull off the death scene, or we had more time with them together.

Admittedly, writing with the acting abilities (or lack thereof) of your cast must be challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the first time the actors have spoken out about this. Personally, I think it's too late for a reboot. The damage is done.

This is a senseless petition. As if HBO is going to redo anything. In fact, you can say the whole second half of the entire series suffered a bit from the writing.

26 minutes ago, AC1 said:

This is a senseless petition. As if HBO is going to do redo anything. In fact, you can say the whole second half of the entire series suffered a bit from the writing.

Dance is just playing the " fans" for the fools they are.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

This is a senseless petition. As if HBO is going to redo anything. In fact, you can say the whole second half of the entire series suffered a bit from the writing.

Yeah, it was the same with the 'Remake The Last Jedi' petitions. Why can't people understand that it's not a popularity contest, it's millions of dollars, logistics, time that the studios can't just throw away to satisfy the minority. The Snyder Cut should be an example in that even taking preexisting material and making a new cut can't be done for free. I really think the people who believe remakes could be a possibility are ignorant to the filmmaking process and all the shit that's attached to it.

6 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Blah blah blah...

People are upset.

I don't like people being upset -- I must insult them!

Pathetic.

Just put him on ignore.

I dunno, Hollywood does reboots, remakes, and reimaginings constantly. It seems to me it’s literally only a matter of time before they go back to this very profitable well, and not just with some lackluster prequel. You’ve gotta believe they have at least talked about a ‘Khaleesi’ movie, perhaps preceded by a ‘Winterfell’ movie or even a ‘George R.R. Martin’s The Winds of Winter’ mini-series. Maybe 20 years from now, or maybe just now, if they determine that audiences have an appetite for it, and while we still have Dinklage.

Once upon a time I'd laugh at the idea of studios ceding to fan demands like that, but nothing would surprise me these days. It seems they're more desperate to please than ever, even if the resulting product is sub-par (The Rise of Skywalker being a prominent example). HBO releasing Snyder's Justice League cut will be interesting to see.

I hate to imagine a world where creative endeavours become a democratic process based on fan approval. Imagine Breaking Bad, only the ending is left to popular vote à la American Idol, text in your preferred ending out of the four options and that's the one we'll air! Turns out Walt is the hero after all, gets off scot free and becomes president, and Skyler dies because she was mean to Walt. Etc.

I think it's terrifying the power that social media gave to the fans. If they complain enough, studios will do everything to please them, even if the final product is a mediocrity like TROS. 

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing someone take another shot at it, some day in the more distant future and once the books are complete (IF the books are ever completed), but I'd prefer it to be a fresh adaptation and not some dumb fan-driven reshoot.

3 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

I dunno, Hollywood does reboots, remakes, and reimaginings constantly. It seems to me it’s literally only a matter of time before they go back to this very profitable well, and not just with some lackluster prequel. You’ve gotta believe they have at least talked about a ‘Khaleesi’ movie, perhaps preceded by a ‘Winterfell’ movie or even a ‘George R.R. Martin’s The Winds of Winter’ mini-series. Maybe 20 years from now, or maybe just now, if they determine that audiences have an appetite for it, and while we still have Dinklage.

Weren't they planning to do a new TV series about the Mad King or something? I wanna see that but the writing needs to be as good as the early GOT episodes.

HBO simultaneously began developing 5 different spinoff shows as GOT was heading towards its final season, all that would take place years before the start of the show

• one about the golden age of Valyria, the place where Dragons and Targaryens came from
  • one about Aegon The Conquer's initial conquest of Westeros
  • one about The Long Night, the first time man fought the White Walkers and ultimately built the wall
  • one about Robert's Rebellion, the story of Robert, Ned, and Tywin killing the Mad King and putting Robert on the throne
  • and a fifth one we know nothing about

The 5 different showrunners developing each one were Jane Goldman, Bryan Cogman, Max Borenstein, Brian Helgeland, and Carly Wray, but we don't know which showrunner was assigned to which premise, other than one:

Jane Goodman's was eventually greenlit; it was called "Bloodmoon", and took place during "The Age of Heroes" (10,000 years before GOT).  They filmed a pilot episode, directed by SJ Clarkson and starring Naomi Watts; HBO ultimately passed on the whole show after seeing it.

Instead, HBO announced they had ordered direct to series a show called "House of Dragons" about the end of House Targaryen.  They haven't filmed anything yet and it's supposed to come out in 2022.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I am not convinced that TROS was a product of kowtowing to the fans, as much as JJA just blowing it.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Perhaps not kowtowing, but Disney/LFL preemptively over-correcting to avoid a TLJ backlash. I could see this being the case just by the cuts and reshoots, and half of the artwork for the film being withheld from publishing.

I don't put much stock in the multiple theories and speculation that some want to be the case, but there is enough of a figurative gap in the official explanation to make me question what their intentions were.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I think it's terrifying the power that social media gave to the fans. If they complain enough, studios will do everything to please them, even if the final product is a mediocrity like TROS. 

Right on.

They act like trolls represent the fandom at large, instead of being a tiny population of social misfits

20 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

What was wrong with the finale? I suppose they had to end it somehow.

Nothing is wrong.

It's the " fans' that need help.

Like, psychos need help. Arkham had vacancies. Now filled up with GOT loonies.

It's atrocious writing. It came off like a last-minute scramble to end a story more complex than the writers could think of. Individual components of the finale have potential to work, or even be great, but the way they were handled in the short amount of time they had was where they stumbled. Bran becoming the King, fucking awful. Bron the Master of Coin? What the fuck? The way Dany and Jon's stories are wrapped up. Just poo.

Just now, Arpy said:

Don't act confused @PuhgreÞiviÞm sixty pages of other members who've also gone through how and why it's a disgrace. I felt like I was beating a dead horse having to write that.

Too much. They're all fusspots.

In some ways, they have more reason to be upset than I ever had as I wasn't as invested as others were. Either way, it seems reasonable to be upset after being invested in a show with great writing only for it to be squandered in the last season. 

33 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I don't know why I bother visiting this thread.

A bunch of losers who want their mommy.

I bid you adieu.

You can Carry on crying and whining just fine without me

Imagine being a blustery big mouth who loves taking the piss out of others but then having unconditional Game of Thrones adulation as an achilles heel 😂

1 hour ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

I love how you scorned fictional franchise fanatics throw around the word "invest" as if you plonked your life savings into Enron shares.

Says the Godzilla fanatic. You invest in that character and franchise and you know the meaning of the word in this context.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Says the Godzilla fanatic. You invest in that character and franchise and you know the meaning of the word in this context.

You pick a bad example. The Godzilla franchise is a highly diverse series of individual films of varying quality. The films in the franchise I'm not keen on, I can just ignore them and move on. No real loss at all.

But you GOT loons act like a scorned spouse just because you didn't get some arbitrary ending you imagined in your heads. It was an epilogue episode, so it is what it is.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

People wanted to see Snow and Khaleesi get married and reign over the Seven Kingdoms.

Most people I know tend to cite this as their biggest grievance. But thankfully the showrunners were smarter than that.

25 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

You pick a bad example. The Godzilla franchise is a highly diverse series of individual films of varying quality. The films in the franchise I'm not keen on, I can just ignore them and move on. No real loss at all.

But you GOT loons act like a scorned spouse just because you didn't get some arbitrary ending you imagined in your heads. It was an epilogue episode, so it is what it is.

It's true, franchises like Godzilla, Star Trek and others have had so many different iterations, that it makes the fans callused to a degree.  They can easily separate themselves from the bad and the good, and choose what to like without getting into such a fuss about it.  Yeah you can bitch and moan, but it's usually to the extent of "ugh fuck it, we'll get 'em next time and move on."

I mean, I only saw a few episodes of GoT, it was good, but the production value was so high that it's impossible to not be somewhat pleased with show.  But aren't the books the source material? Be happy you have fucking source material, most of these franchises don't!  I understand the show outpaced the books, but wtf are peopled supposed to expect?  You had 7 good seasons, get over it.

Star Wars is an interesting bunch, because all of those films are CONNECTED, unlike other film series.  So they lose their minds when a movie doesn't fit their idea.  How many different fucking people have been involved with Star Wars, they are not going to make everyone happy.  Just fucking eat the popcorn, buy the ticket and more importantly, LISTEN to the scores, the only thing I care about from Star Wars.  The OT is a treasure though.

The trouble is thinking fans of any franchise are allied or a united front. They're fickle and varied, and can't agree on anything. 

When I was younger I thought Trekkies were quite a strong faction of a fandom that it was almost as utopian an idea as Star Trek would represent, you know, the gathering of people of different beliefs and walks of life under one banner. Now, it's almost like a religious cult or denomination: Prime, Kelvin, Anti-Kelvinist, Orvillian etc. etc. 

I think it's the constant gratification of today's media that everyone is constantly expecting more, more, more of what they love and have become a savage people for it. 

Funny, I could have sworn one of the most popular fan theories/hopeful expectations was that Night King himself would take the throne. It was certainly the sort of dark wickedly satisfying ending I had long craved for. People even created quite superb digital mock-ups of the final shot, it was badass. 

So again, I reckon this is just another one of those times where the distinctly really out of touch contrarian contingent of JWFan thinks they know all about what the public at large wants, but in actual fact these armchair census takers know sweet FA about it. It's all ego driven bollocks. 

@Quintus My point isn't to say you are wrong or right in your hatred or enjoyment of the GoT season 8.  There are some who loved it, I assume.

My point is that when a franchise like this gets removed and morphed from it's source material and original mind behind it, and other creators get involved, you have to expect it will never please everyone.  And in my opinion, for better or worse, when it's from one person's mind, from start to finish, it's usually better.

If season's 8 ending was in a book, as crazy as it is to assume it would have been, the outcry for this would not been as big, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

The thing is, Arpy, you did not lose precious time on it. In fact, you had a blast with it for 7 seasons long.

No I didn't have a blast, I was watching with my family and sometimes it was a chore. See, when @PuhgreÞiviÞm made the joke about investment, what greater investment is there than one's time? I'm not sorry for the hours of my life I sat watching the series, I'm annoyed that it just ended the way it did. 

8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

No I didn't have a blast, I was watching with my family and sometimes it was a chore. See, when @PuhgreÞiviÞm made the joke about investment, what greater investment is there than one's time? I'm not sorry for the hours of my life I sat watching the series, I'm annoyed that it just ended the way it did. 

If you don't care about the series, then I just don't see why you talk of investments or why you can be disappointed. You should be happy that it's over.