GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

In some way I am, but it still doesn't mean I couldn't have hope for a better ending and clearly I wasn't alone in that. 

Let's also clarify what I mean by investment: The time one devotes or sets aside to watch a series like GoT, the money one spends to purchase a DVD or Bluray, the emotional gratification of wanting to know how a story continues or ends and what happens to the characters in it. Most of the time, those investments are small. @PuhgreÞiviÞm bought Godzilla toys, therefore he was invested enough in the character and whichever version he prefers of the films. 

If you're expecting an ROI from Hollyweird, good luck. Often it's best to just have a laugh and get on with it.

And yes, I love the character. He's flexible and usually so are the fans – they're lucky they have such a variety of films to pick. But that said, I've noticed an interesting phenomena about fans who collect Godzilla dolls... a fair few of them claim they've never seen a Godzilla film, aside from the Legendary films, rather they just like the novelty of it all.

Even as far back as season 2 I could feel the cracks forming. It's a myth that Game of Thrones only started to go downhill from S7. I watched the whole thing because when it was good, there was nothing else like it on telly. But all along the way I had issues with various aspects of the series, it was never this stupendously fabulous 1-6 series that some like to revise it as being. Some were more invested than others, so what? Some also just stuck it out for the cool battle scenes. Btw, even those went to shit in S8. 

I never had much fun with it personally. That sequence was probably my single biggest disappointment of the climax (the entirety of S8 was intended to be climatic, right?). Coming from the Battle of Helms Deep and the Pelennor, I had been told (by the producers of GoT themselves) to expect a melee spectacle which would outdo even those two benchmark battle scenes. The reality was though that the Long Night wasn't even as good as the Battle of Rorke's Drift. It's a terrible set piece actually, probably Game of Thrones' worst battle sequence. 

• 2 months later...

I'm sure nobody cares, but HBO went ahead and made all 8 seasons available in 4K now, physically

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection in 4K UHD

THE WORLDWIDE PHENOMENON NOW IN 4K UHD

Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne begins.

Based on the bestselling book series by George R.R. Martin and created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss,

Game of Thrones : The Complete Collection is available to watch in stunning 4K UHD for the first time!

73 Episodes. 8 Epic Seasons. Over 15 Hours of Bonus Features.

The Best Possible Viewing Experience in 4K UHD!

IT IS TIME TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS GAME IS PLAYED

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJLXT1M/

You still can't stream the show anywhere in 4K thanks to their terrible streaming app(s)

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm sure nobody cares, but HBO went ahead and made all 8 seasons available in 4K now, physically

Heck, I'm probably one of the few here who has every GOT season on Blu-ray. In stark contrast, I don't own any Star Wars movie on blu-ray, let alone 4K. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Heck, I'm probably one of the few here who has every GOT season on Blu-ray. In stark contrast, I don't own any Star Wars movie on blu-ray, let alone 4K. 

I have them all bar the last season on BluRay. Just waiting for a bit of time to pass before doing an 8 season rewatch and I’ll pick up the last season then. 

• 1 month later...

Notice how that report on the murder took its sweet time to actually get to the breaking news part but only after a couple of paragraphs going on about how D&D really fucked up Game of Thrones. Priorities and all that. 

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it’s just the paradigm we live in now, where every franchise feels it must church out as much new content as possible. I thought it was crazy when they announced 6+ new Star Trek shows would all be coming out at once, but now everyone is doing it.

I remember after reading the book and enjoying the Robert Baratheon character, I was like whaaaaa? after learning they'd cast Mark Addy in the TV version. But he did okay really, he wasn't bad. Addy was nowhere near as imposing and larger-than-life than the Martin original, though 

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 1:58 AM, Jay said:

I'd suggest a series telling the story of a campaign to make Gilly's dad the King-beyond-the-Wall. It would be called Pro-Craster Nation.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

For some reason, HBO cut a brand new trailer for season 8 two years later and released it this week.  Weird.

It might be for the Snyder Cut from Season 8 with new footages and a 4:3 ratio :lol:

• 1 month later...

Amanda Segel has been tapped to write GOT spinoff "10,000 Ships"

The drama is expected to follow the journey made by warrior queen Princess Nymeria and the surviving members of the Rhoynars, who traveled from Essos to Dorne following their defeat by the Valyrian Freehold in the Second Spice War.

This migration took place around 1,000 years before the events depicted in the A Song of Ice and Fire novel

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I wonder just how bad the Naomi Watts one must’ve been to not make it past the pilot.

Right?  Even the original GOT pilot was refilmed when they ordered it to series

I suspect they’re trying to find the next long-form, multi-season smash hit, but to me it would’ve been more interesting to watch multiple single season-long stories set in different points of the universe’s history. Kind of like what Bryan Fuller’s Star Trek series reboot was going to be before they decided to go all in on just Discovery. 

• 4 months later...

Game of Thrones has been irrelevant for a while now. Unfortunate because it started so strong. But after what they did with the main show, I would certainly never invest any further time in this universe.

When George finishes the books, I'll finish those but if they end the same way as the series, then this will go the way of The Wheel of Time.

And then everybody will have more time to read Tad Williams, whose fantasy is infinitely superior and is where George lifted all of his ideas, so George agrees. Imitation is the sincerest and all that.

I seem to be one of the very few who was completely ok with the finale of the show.

Yes, in season 6 they began perticularly to repeat themselves. But season 7 and eight were again quite strong again. And yes, this whole night king plot was never really explained until the end. It was somehow just ... there. And then finished. Maybe we will learn more about it in the future.

I have absolutely no expectation to this new series. Probably it is crap. In general, I am not a fan of prequel stories.

In a way they are doomed to be just cheap fan service, because you know, where this is all leading to, e.g. look at the Solo movie. 

Here I would call Lucas Star Wars prequels a noble exception. But apart from that I am not aware of any interesting prequel films, series or what ever.

44 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The_Hound_in_'The_Children'.jpg

got-the-mountain.jpg

i8PWXebo_400x400.jpg

game-of-thrones-s8-e5-cersei-jaime.jpeg

gameofthronesseason8episod5didvarysdie.j

I should have clarified. I meant in a massive battle where it would be believable. I was merely commenting on the final episode of Season 7 and The Long Night where just absolute hordes of walkers died multiple times and every important character walked away. Even the filmmaking is obviously just pending time. This is not a show like Indiana Jones where groups of fighters send one man in at a time. Or at least I thought it wasn't.

Bran was utterly irrelevant and wasted, Arya's significance is somewhat exaggerated and all the other characters we care about are dropped or their characters neutered of their potential growth. I have to stress: potential growth. The show needed more time to develop. 

D&D were transparently disinterested with the show and were clearly inept without consultation from better writers - what's more is that they jumped ship when Disney dangled the dollars in front of their faces with a potential Star Wars film series! 

How did they justify this series and the prospect of an audience watching a prequel to a series that is an eight season train wreck?

GoT's finale was so poorly received by audiences in general that it pushed the show towards complete irrelevance. During the harshest months of the pandemic people should've been re-watching but no one even bothered with that because the ending was so terrible.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

In seasons 1-6, absolutely.

1-8 for me. Yes, we all know the writing wasn't what is once was, but I was still fond of the characters. For example, I still wanted The Hound to defeat The Mountain. 

I liked most of them but I never cared for Grey Worm or Missandei for they were too straightforward good (which is boring). They weren't good actors either.