GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Here's a good article that explains HDR10 vs Dolby Vision vs HDR10+

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

Seems like HDR10 and now HDR10+ is really becoming much more of a standard because companies have to pay a licensing fee to use Dolby Vision.  And it seems like HDR10+ made a lot of improvements over HDR10 to bring it more in line with what Dolby Vision was capable of

On 12/08/2022 at 11:46 AM, Edmilson said:

They probably just wanted him to finish the damn books so they had something to work with lol

The turning point for the TV series came in S4 E2, (“The Lion and the Rose” — the one with Joffrey’s wedding). The episode, which mainly adapts Chapter 60 (out of 80) of the third book, had originally been written by GRRM himself, who (up through this point) wrote one episode per season. But the showrunners changed the episode in ways that were unacceptable to GRRM, and that’s when he ragequit his involvement in the show, supposedly to go work on his books. The episode turned out pretty good, IIRC, but several plots were set in motion in a very different direction from GRRM’s novels — i.e., failing to set up several of the plotlines of the fourth and fifth books (which were already published at that point).

On some level, can you blame GRRM for not finishing his books after all? Because even if he had finished them, the showrunners had already shown that they were going to do whatever they wanted. That’s got to be demoralizing AF.

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

The episode turned out pretty good, IIRC, but several plots were set in motion in a very different direction from GRRM’s novels — i.e., failing to set up several of the plotlines of the fourth and fifth books (which were already published at that point).

How so?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The sixth book is coming! Eventually... In about a year or ten...

George R.R. Martin Says ‘The Winds of Winter’ Is Now Three-Quarters Finished

The author gave Stephen Colbert an update on the long-awaited 'Game of Thrones' novel — and how he wishes he could take a dragon to the Kremlin.

• 3 weeks later...

I already shared it on the House of the Dragon thread, but I might as weel leave it here.

This is the first part of a series of videos I will upload analyzing the soundtrack for House of the Dragon, this first part being about familiar themes returning from the Game of Thrones show, and how Djawadi repurposes them in new and interesting ways. I hope you enjoy this part and the rest of my analysis which will also be shared in here. Feel free to share any thoughs, corrections or additions you might have!

Here's the second part of my breakdown of the themes of the show, this time focusing on all the different themes and motifs for the central character of the show, Princess Rhaenyra.

Djawadi created several different ideas that he develops through the season (and I'm sure will come back in future seasons) and I tried my best to comment them all, their meaning, and their development in each episode. I even did a complete analysis on one of my favorite cues of the season, The Crown of Jaeharys, which features almost all of Rhaenyra's themes into one single, glorious cue.

Hope you enjoy it! Feel free to share your thoughts and be sure to stay tuned for next part, where I will cover the different themes for the Black side of the story (Viserys, Daemon and House Velaryon).

And here's the third part of my breakdown of the themes of the show, this time focusing on all the different themes and motifs for the character in the black side of the story, Viserys, Daemon and the members of House Velaryon.

Djawadi created many different ideas for all this characters, some more prominent than others, and I'm sure he will get to develop many of them as the seasons go on. I tried my best to comment them all, their meaning, and their development in each episode, so I hope you enjoy it, and feel free to share your thoughts!

Next in line is the last part of my analysis, covering the themes for the greens, as well as some secondary ideas worth mentioning. Enjoy!

And finally, my fourth and last part of my analysis is here. I hope you all enjoyed my breakdowns as much as I enjoyed doing them! This time we cover the Hightower themes, plus some secondary ideas like the Dance of Dragons theme, the Betrayal theme or the Funeral theme.

Hope you enjoy, and feel free to share your thoughs!

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2010 at 4:04 AM, SF1_freeze said:

This will for sure be the best new show on television next year. The books this show is based on are on par with Lord of the Rings quality wise, but more realistic, dark and gritty. By the way "Game of Thrones" is scored by oscar winner Stephen Warbeck, not bad in my eyes and this further shows the ambition and quality HBO is known for!

This is a 10 minutes behind the scenes look

This is crazy to look at now wow.

• 2 months later...

GRRM will be so busy overseeing all of these GoT spin-offs that he won't have any time to write the sixth and seventh ASOIAF books.

Not that he was that interested in finishing the books anyway. Being a TV executive is much more fun and lucrative!

Yeah. He was never finishing those books anyway. At least now he has an excuse.

The Dunk and Egg stories aren’t finished yet though so he better have outlines for all the stories. 

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

GRRM will be so busy overseeing all of these GoT spin-offs that he won't have any time to write the sixth and seventh ASOIAF books.

Not that he was that interested in finishing the books anyway. Being a TV executive is much more fun and lucrative!

I wouldn't have any interest. I don't even understand how Eiichirō Oda has been doing One Piece for almost as long. I think GRRM is in the right to just stop.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Yeah. He was never finishing those books anyway. At least now he has an excuse.

The Dunk and Egg stories aren’t finished yet though so he better have outlines for all the stories. 

I still think he’ll finish the books. At least Winds if Winter. This Dunk and Egg show is great news though, I can’t wait to see that as the book is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

I still think he’ll finish the books. At least Winds if Winter. This Dunk and Egg show is great news though, I can’t wait to see that as the book is fantastic.

Winds of Winter will probably get released. But there’s no way he’ll finish the series. Not a chance.

26 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Winds of Winter will probably get released. But there’s no way he’ll finish the series. Not a chance.

I'm sort of hoping the reason it's taking so long is he's just going to wrap up the story with Winds of Winter and call it day. Because I fear you're right...if he doesn't we'll never see the end.

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I'm sort of hoping the reason it's taking so long is he's just going to wrap up the story with Winds of Winter and call it day. Because I fear you're right...if he doesn't we'll never see the end.

Wrap up the storyline? 😂 oh my sweet summer child that is beyond impossible at this stage. The whole thing is too big and spread too far. If anything he’ll release it and there’ll be a dozen new subplots included!!

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Wrap up the storyline? 😂 oh my sweet summer child that is beyond impossible at this stage. The whole thing is too big and spread too far. If anything he’ll release it and there’ll be a dozen new subplots included!!

I’m still optimistic as I said before but it’s true that he really made it difficult for himself with all the different plots in books 4 and 5. On the other hand I love the subplots so if he manages to tie it together it will be quite an achievement. I read that he wrote a certain chapter in book 5 multiple times 

Spoiler

(where Quentin arrives in Meereen),

taking place at different times (in the story) to see which he likes the most. That meant writing all the interactions between characters differently given the different time frames in the different versions of the chapter. I’m sure he has already written one or more version of Winds that he has scrapped throughout the years. I think that the final book will be easier to write as Winds will wrap up or at least streamline/merge many of the different subplots which will reach their climax in book 6.

I still think 2 books to conclude the story seems at least one book too little, given the massive scope of the story. Winds has so much ground to cover, from Stannis in Winterfell to the resolution of the pink letter (BOTB) to Siege of Meereen etc that I think one book might not be enough. My guess is that Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring will turn into 3 or even potentially 4 books (split into volumes).

Alternatively I was thinking that GRRM’s old title for Dream of Spring (Time For Wolves) might become a potential title for Vol 2 of Dream, if it is ever released.

I also have the same (maybe foolish) hope that GRRM is taking so long with the 6th book because he wants to conclude the story in it. It'll be a larger book (even for ASOIAF's standards) but at least will conclude the story.

But if he's still keeping to his original plan of writing two more very long books, of which he hasn't finished not even the first one despite "working" (?) on it for over a decade, then yeah... We may not see an ending for the main story.

Alternatively, if he does not live to write the final books, then maybe someone he trusts may do it for him? Sure, we may get another situation like the HBO show, but still.

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I also have the same (maybe foolish) hope that GRRM is taking so long with the 6th book because he wants to conclude the story in it. It'll be a larger book (even for ASOIAF's standards) but at least will conclude the story.

But if he's still keeping to his original plan of writing two more very long books, of which he hasn't finished not even the first one despite "working" (?) on it for over a decade, then yeah... We may not see an ending for the main story.

Alternatively, if he does not live to write the final books, then maybe someone he trusts may do it for him? Sure, we may get another situation like the HBO show, but still.

He has said that nobody will finish his books except him so that’s not an option. The problem is that he keeps rewriting and changing what he has written for Winds. I think his story plans have changed quite a bit since he started writing winds.

Regarding the new HBO show, I’m happy about Ryan Condal and Vince Geradis being listed as executive producers as this will bring continuity and expertise to the series. Vince was involved with GOT and Condal is the showrunner of HOTD. Im confused about this show though because the story is set with the Blackfyre rebellions as an important historical backdrop, directly influencing the story. If they were ever going to do that as a part of HOTD, it seems weird to do Dunk and Egg before the Blackfyre Rebellions Rebellions have been done on HOTD.

The best way would probably have been to start HOTD with Aegon’s conquest amd then just move forwards in time with the dance, the Blackfyre rebellions etc as far as they want to go (maybe even robert’s rebellion). Doing Dunk after Blackfyre makes much more sense.

Here is GRRM's latest blog post that gives further details on the "Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" show. S1 will have 6 episodes (or maybe 7) and will cover the first novella, the hedge knight.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/04/14/a-knight-and-a-squire/

He also confirmed that the Nymeria show (a thousand ships) and the Corlys Velaryon show (the sea snake) are still in development and have not been shelved as was reported a while back! I hope that both these shows get made.

No, as in the woman who founded Dorne a thousand years prior to GOT/HOTD.

Arya named her wolf after her in GOT, and in HOTD young Rhaenyra and Alicent discuss her in one of the first episodes when Rhaenyra was studying under a tree.

Did you watch that show at breakfast time too? :)

I'd happily give up every spin-off, prequel and sequel series, including House of the Dragon (which is excellent), if it meant George would just finish the fracking books.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did you watch that show at breakfast time too? :)

Probably yeah. That's the time I watch stuff.

It releases during nighttime in the US, so when I watch stuff during breakfast. Been doing for years now.

But I do watch a lot of stuf, so I can't remember everything that's happening everywhere🙄

23 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Here is GRRM's latest blog post that gives further details on the "Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" show. S1 will have 6 episodes (or maybe 7) and will cover the first novella, the hedge knight.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/04/14/a-knight-and-a-squire/

He also confirmed that the Nymeria show (a thousand ships) and the Corlys Velaryon show (the sea snake) are still in development and have not been shelved as was reported a while back! I hope that both these shows get made.

I would cast George McKay from 1917 as Dunk. I think he’d be good. He’s not super well known, he’s 6 foot tall so that’s a good starting point for a tall guy, and he’s not exactly classically handsome. He’s a good actor though and I think he could carry the TV show.

Egg will be harder cast but they did a great job when casting all the kids in GoT and HotD. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Meanwhile, no news at all about GRRM and The Winds of Winter. I'm starting to believe he just gave up on writing A Song of Ice and Fire and is now living the life of a famous Hollywood TV producer.

He has been busy on it for years. It’s just tough to juggle all the characters and plot lines he’s written especially when the show has already released and a lot of thing received criticism. I’m sure that a lot of seasons 6-8 are different from what GRRM had in mind but I know that he gave a general outline to the showrunners on what will happen.

For example Jon Snow coming back, Hodor meaning “hold the door,” Jon’s father being a Targaryen and his mom being Ned’s sister, him getting with Danny, Danny going mad, and Bran on the throne were all things he planned for the books.

• 1 month later...

Game of Thrones has been ranked as number 1 best show to binge watch

CDN media

Even with the shit tier final seasons, I guess there's some educational value to rewatching plot, characters, and dialog sink so low so quickly.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Game of Thrones has been ranked as number 1 best show to binge watch

CDN media

Even with the shit tier final seasons, I guess there's some educational value to rewatching plot, characters, and dialog sink so low so quickly.

Did I mention, that I was perfectly fine with the last season? I think it was great. A good finale. 

I also enjoyed the final season. Yes, not everything was perfect, but the production, acting and music were all on point.

And of course I agree that some stuff really should've been handled differently I feel it's far from the atrocity some claim it to be.

Well, at the very least it had great special effects, sometimes much better than those we see in movies.

BTW, IMHO the title of "worst GOT episode ever" is not even for any of the season 8 (as much as I hate The Bells), but rather the Suicide Squad episode from S7 (which, let's not kid ourselves, was as bad as S8), where a bunch of characters travel to beyond the wall to kidnap a zombie or something to show to Cersei (!).

Everything from the premise to the execution was just painfully, embarrassingly bad. It's almost The CW-levels of writing. The action scenes were okay, until they were rescued by Dany who traveled all the way to the North (remember when GRRM said that Westeros was the size of South America) by dragon in Mach 5 to rescue our Suicide Squad. It's just atrocious.

My favorite episode is still Hardhome from S5 though (which ironically involves another battle with the White Walkers).

The show was on a slow decline starting with Season 5. It really went off the rails a bit when they ran out of books to adapt.

That said, I enjoyed all the Seasons, including Season 8. While it was definitely a disappointment and significant step down compared to what came before, it was still better than most of what's on TV.

All in all, one of the greatest TV shows of all time, with certainly one of the all-time great main title themes.