GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

There are no pictures! :P Most of those names have absolutely no meaning to me. EDIT: And I don't really want to spend a whole bunch of time researching this show just to get a basic understanding of who's who. Part of the show's job is to communicate that, and it's not doing a good job of that, from my perspective.

Ok, here is HBO's viewer guide. They did it to make non book readers the life easier. This time with pictures :)

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/

Here for example is House Stark with character pictures: http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/stark/

To be fair, the books have a ridiculous amount of characters who all are important (some only in later books) so they couldn't just cut these characters

to make it easier for new viewers. But trust me, this level of complexity pays of big time in later episodes and seasons!!!

Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff.

In the defence of George Martin I have say that he wrote the first book in the mid-90's and had no idea it would be turned into a TV series. The book has sex and violence for a completely different reason than making the main readerbase (young adult men) happy. His instinct was to write something different in the medieval fantasy setting, more gritty and more realistic and less the knightly romance most fantasy novels is bursting with. His world is warts-and-all story of medieval life and power, not romaticized but how it most likely was in our Middle Ages. The society was heavily class based and feudal and the king was truly the king and peasants knew their place in the order of things. Martin's novel presents a lot of sex, nudity and violence and as others have said in this thread, the show actually has downplayed that aspect. This is not to say Martin's novels are full of orgies though. But it is a gritty and real world in a sense, not wrapped in a comforting rosy hues of ideas of knights in shining armor on their way to rescues the damsel in distress all pure and valorous. It is not black and white but has infinite shades of grey which is fantastic.

To those who have watched the prime time dramas from HBO and other networks this nudity and sex have become gratuitous as it is so commonplace it becomes a trope, something networks do to get rating from certain demographic or they think some viewers expect it. I agree that e.g. in the HBO series Rome it felt redundant (a bit demeaning) to see the main cast cavorting in bed in nearly every episode for no other reason than to show how immoral the Ancient Romans were. It is the mark of the times really, that you have to show all and everything. I do not like this too much myself either if it does not serve the story in some way. And I do not deny that some of the need for HBO to show nudity in Game of Thrones comes from expectation and somewhat of the modern need to peep at such things at every opporturnity but on the other hand most of this material is present in the original novel, but Martin does not wallow in it, it is just part of the story where people use different things to have power and keep it and how power is abused in different ways.

And all those who have not read the novels I have to say that Martin thought the character centric episodes first (so don't go praising Lost too early for that invention). :P Every chapter in his book is dedicated to the point of view of a single character so we get into their heads more frequently and more intimately than in most novels. Every chapter is titled with the name of the character like Bran, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya or Eddard and then the events are told from that aspect and perception. It was definitely new and exciting way to tell the story when I first read these books. This also helps with the information overload that comes with the legion of characters and places etc. In the TV-series you have to be very observant and follow it keenly so that you can keep up with everything. They do not tell you who is who in the series, making constant exclamations of everyone's name or rank or affiliation. They actually trust an intelligent viewer to find their way around this story but it can be difficult I admit. Also I think you should not be expected to leap to internet every once in a while to check up on the face and name of some character either. Perhaps the show has been rather merciless in some respects when the characters and their introductions are concerned. The series takes some things as given and does not explain them much which can leave a new viewer somewhat stranded. I think the best policy is to focus on the most recognizable characters and let the supporting cast be just that.

But again in my opinion you can tell quite easily who the main characters are after a couple of episodes. Of course I can't speak very authentically for those who have not read the book but as I have watched the show I can say that they make very clear who will be the focus of the story in the series from early on. And I like the idea that the show took time in the couple of the first episodes to build up the characters as it is what this show is all about. We get our bearing in the world, get to know the people a little before the real action starts (if you can stomach the few nude scenes here and there). It is a challenge to bring these people alive with all the psychological implications and twists and turns that the book can tell so much more easily in the inner thoughts of the characters but the show has succeeded exceedingly well. Patience will be rewarded after a few episodes as things get rolling.

As for a well built world like Martin's or Tolkien's there is always the danger of having too much information. We are all different and relish different things but I love the details in these two works, all the history, legend, places, characters etc. They give feel of depth and background and a solid backdrop in which these stories can happen. Tolkien for example does not explain the Elder Days in LotR to great detail but they and all the information about them, offer a backdrop to the current events of the novel however mythical they are. I know that some people are absolutely lost in this kind of information flood but others are more than happy with all the minutiae of the world. In the Game of Thrones series they present enormous amount of the background information very subtly in the sets, props etc. and not some long explanations from the characters which would be at most times awkward exposition. Of course this is more apparent to those who have read the novels but is the only way it can be implemented. This is very much what they did in the LotR films where a bigger amount of detail and effort went into the sets and the world they were building than could ever be captured by the camera or shown directly in the film yet it was there. The TV-series Rome is the same. A whole world of information about the day-to-day life of Ancient Rome during the last years of the Republic has been implemented into the sets and props etc. that is only subliminal to the viewer but to someone who knows what to look for it is a veritable catalogue of cultural detail that shows how deeply the makers of these series have cared for the story, be it that there is sex and violence and crude aspects to it.

Here is an interesting interview with G. Martin (new viewers beware: contains some spoilery footage from the show for those who have not watched it more than a few episodes):

Part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAyG1BiArd4&feature=player_embedded#at=489

Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4IrK7MkBYY&feature=player_embedded

As I said, I appreciate the fact that the book is the source and that much of the eroticism stems from it; however that medium is subject to the reader's imagination and not the cheap designs of some sleazy producer who is clearly thinking about ratings - the proof of which is blatantly obvious when one just takes a look at the girls who are stripping: drop dead gorgeous with perfect bodies, lit just right by the crew. I mean, how is that realistic? It's unwanted gratuity.

This is a tough, gritty world, and I personally would prefer it if the necessary sex and nudity reflected that instead of being in stark contrast of it.

As I said, I appreciate the fact that the book is the source and that much of the eroticism stems from it; however that medium is subject to the reader's imagination and not the cheap designs of some sleazy producer who is clearly thinking about ratings - the proof of which is blatantly obvious when one just takes a look at the girls who are stripping: drop dead gorgeous with perfect bodies, lit just right by the crew. I mean, how is that realistic? It's unwanted gratuity.

This is a tough, gritty world, and I personally would prefer it if the necessary sex and nudity reflected that instead of being in stark contrast of it.

I agree that there is a bit of gratuitous sex and nudity going on in the Game of Thrones. But can you get past those scenes and concentrate on the characters and plot?

I agree that there is a bit of gratuitous sex and nudity going on in the Game of Thrones. But can you get past those scenes and concentrate on the characters and plot?

Of course and I am :)

I'm enjoying the show so far; I'm merely stating my initial criticisms of it.

Incanus, you should really learn to develop your argument. Stop writing just 4 lines and expect us to understand your point of view !

Nonsense! I shant' cater to the bite size tastes of modern internet audience! I have Game of Thrones Thread commentary- The Novel underway! Wait until that to criticize. You have seen nothing yet!

On a side note I love how the action is handled in this. The violence is a threat ever lurking in the world of the series and drawing swords means real business in this, not jolly swashbuckling. Someone is probably going to die so it is not an idle matter. This creates a whole different sense of respect and edginess to the combat as life it literally at stake. The mere possibility of violence has you at the edge of your seat with tension.

Oh and I wish they would get Tywin Lannister into the series already! I want to see the iron cold snobbery of Charles Dance in this series!

I am almost getting tired of saying this but it was another terrific episode. The events have a great drive at this point and I was so engrossed with the story and acting that the 50 odd minutes just seemed to fly by leaving me anxious for more. By the way the final scene is, shall we say, pure gold. ;)

We watched epi 4 last night. Very much enjoying the slow burn style, and just about managing to keep up with the various plot strands, names and places. Annoyingly, it has that Sopranos gimmick of having something very dramatic happen in the final five minutes of each episode, bloody cheap addiction tactics!

I just hope the very slow pace does culminate into something worthwhile. It would be disappointing if it didn't, since the rising tension per-episode is palpable.

The little dwarf is a brilliant character, but the most intereting so far is the Bastard. The upstart prince with the face you wanna punch is also a very good character, perfectly cast.

Show is slowly drawing me in, but my girlfriend is hooked already.

Wow the 7th seventh episode was a shocker! You definitely can't accuse this episode for being slow. So much crucial stuff happening.

I would not mind having 2 hours of this series back to back every week like it was done this time.

P.S. Tywin Lannister finally appeared (even if for one scene). Yay! :)

It's the same theme as in episode 1 during the King's Arrival. Great to see him use it again, now in romantic mode.

The two best melodies so far are this theme and the Winterfell/Stark theme

Wow. I seriously cannot understand half of what happens in this show. I feel so stupid every time someone in the show mentions a name that means nothing to me and everyone looks around with meaningful glances and I have no idea what's going on. :P I guess I usually catch on sooner or later, at least for the big stuff...I guess...

Wow. I seriously cannot understand half of what happens in this show. I feel so stupid every time someone in the show mentions a name that means nothing to me and everyone looks around with meaningful glances and I have no idea what's going on. :P I guess I usually catch on sooner or later, at least for the big stuff...I guess...

You just have to pledge yourself fully to this show and follow it very very fanatically. And go to the internet and find out more about every aspect of it. :P

Or perhaps, gasp, you are not interested enough. :eek:

But seriously, I have spoken with several friends who have not read the books beforehand and they have no difficulties following the characters and the plot. One of them was more concerned that the first season was over all too quickly.

Here is a preview of the 8th episode The Pointy End:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoQQjkL2gc

You just have to pledge yourself fully to this show and follow it very very fanatically. And go to the internet and find out more about every aspect of it. :P

Or perhaps, gasp, you are not interested enough. :eek:

It's the show's responsibility to make me interested. :P One could argue that I'm still watching the show, so it must be doing well enough at that, but I really would like it if I had an easier time following what was going on. Again, I feel like I have a decent understanding of the major plot points, so it's not like I'm totally in the dark...I guess my biggest problem is just remembering all the names and connecting them to the faces. I have a lot of trouble with that in real life, too, so maybe it's not ALL the show's fault. ;) But a lot of shows do either force me to remember the names or make remembering them unnecessary. Game of Thrones has a tendency to use bizarre names that sound alike, to use some of them pretty infrequently, and to use them in ways that give few context clues as to who they're talking about. Some of that is just due to the source material, I know, but still.

By the way, the girl-on-girl action in episode 7 was just gratuitous. Like I said, I like boobies as much as the next guy...but seriously. Maybe that scene will have some huge significance later on, but I doubt it. That was also the first time I've seen male full frontal nudity in a TV show, I think.

I haven't watched a whole lot of these HBO/Showtime/etc. shows beyond this and Dexter, which certainly has some nudity in it, but it somehow feels a lot more tasteful.

I'm going to wait til the first season ends (which should be in about 18 days) to watch the whole thing. I've seen one spot, I think, and know virtually nothing about the plot. I wonder whether it's going to disappoint?

Oh one more thing: Is it better to read the book first or to watch the show?

Karol

By the way, the girl-on-girl action in episode 7 was just gratuitous. Like I said, I like boobies as much as the next guy...but seriously. Maybe that scene will have some huge significance later on, but I doubt it. That was also the first time I've seen male full frontal nudity in a TV show, I think.

I haven't watched a whole lot of these HBO/Showtime/etc. shows beyond this and Dexter, which certainly has some nudity in it, but it somehow feels a lot more tasteful.

Yeah I was thinking that as well when I watched the episode. The character moment with Littlefinger could have been done a bit more tastefully as the information we gained from his speech was good, but the way they presented was too gratuitous. Luckily those scenes are few and far between at least.

Here is a preview of the 8th episode The Pointy End:

Hey ! That is my job to post that ! Never thought I would say that, but : Damn you, Incanus ! :stick:

Well, here is another thing, then : details on Djawadi's soundtrack. Yay ! Hope we get a complete score release !

Sorry if I have upset you but I was wondering where the next preview clip was and resorted posting it myself. But okay, you can be the messenger to all perpetuity from now on. Deal? ;)

I wonder, the RCP skeptic that I am, how will the music sound outside the show on CD since it is the only part of the production I have nothing to say about. It just is there from episode to episode, I hardly ever notice it in any way, positive or negative. I had wished something that would leave a more memorable mark but apart from the main title there hasn't been anything worth noting for me. I hope the album will rectify it but fear more that it won't.

I'm going to wait til the first season ends (which should be in about 18 days) to watch the whole thing. I've seen one spot, I think, and know virtually nothing about the plot. I wonder whether it's going to disappoint?

Oh one more thing: Is it better to read the book first or to watch the show?

Karol

If you do not mind fantastic cast, interesting characters, a plot full of interesting twists and high production values (not to mention mandatory scenes of gratuitous nudity) then you might not be disappointed.

The book has a different perspective than the series obviously as the chapters are all written from the view point of the main characters, every chapter prensenting a different person's views whereas the series presents a more straightforward narrative. Also the novel has naturally more information and background and characters that won't be apparent in the series and some minor plot points and scenes have been excised from the series to make it flow more coherently and smoothly. But all in all the series is surprisingly faithful to the novel.

If you want to have preconceived notions about the world and the characters of the book then read the novel. If you want a clean slate then watch the show before reading the novel. I read the entire book series before watching the TV-series, although it was several years ago, and am currently re-reading it, and I have to say I have had very little to complain in any department in the show. Also it could be helpful to read the book so that the information flood in the series won't become too much for you.

But there you, ah, have it.

Done six episodes now and shit suddenly got real.

Brilliant stuff, I'm bloody loving it. The Imp is my favourite character.

Need to have a little break from it for a few days though, because I like to stay a couple of episodes behind.

Oh and I'm having no problems whatsoever keeping up with the plot and characters - one just needs to pay attention!

Oh and I'm having no problems whatsoever keeping up with the plot and characters - one just needs to pay attention!

Oh, you have to actually pay attention? No wonder I'm having problems! If only I'd thought of that on my own. :rolleyes:

Please don't tell me the soft porn develops into a subplot.

Well...it develops, at least...actually, if it had some sort of significance to the plot, it'd at least feel more justified...but it doesn't.

Well, I've said before the only issue I have with this is the gratuity.

Everything else is marvellously good.

Yeap. That's about the only thing I don't like about the series. And they actually added some of the nudity just for the series, which I guess is the trend with modern shows where you have to have it for so some demographic is pleased as we have previously discussed.

Still we should be glad there is no Caligula level of gratuity in this series. :P

To be honest it's got to the stage now where I overlook the tits and arse completely and just think about the story and the characters.

I'm a convert to Game of Thrones, I freakin' love it. I suspect it'll just keep getting better and better.

I'll be glad when the first season comes to an end though - so that I'll at last be able to discuss the damn thing here (in detail) without worrying about spoilers.

To be honest it's got to the stage now where I overlook the tits and arse completely and just think about the story and the characters.

I'm a convert to Game of Thrones, I freakin' love it. I suspect it'll just keep getting better and better.

I'll be glad when the first season comes to an end though - so that I'll at last be able to discuss the damn thing here (in detail) without worrying about spoilers.

Glad to hear you're a convert! And yes, it does get better and better.

I just started Book 4. Avoiding spoilers, but I will say Books 2 and 3 have their fair share of "Oh, shit, no way!" moments, just as Book 1 did. Will see where Book 4 goes.

I will say Books 2 and 3 have their fair share of "Oh, shit, no way!" moments, just as Book 1 did.

What moments do you have in mind for book 1? (Er, season 1, since I haven't read the books...) Sorry to be such a downer again, but I really haven't felt that way at any point so far.

I will say Books 2 and 3 have their fair share of "Oh, shit, no way!" moments, just as Book 1 did.

What moments do you have in mind for book 1? (Er, season 1, since I haven't read the books...) Sorry to be such a downer again, but I really haven't felt that way at any point so far.

Hmmm, well, trying not to get too spoilery...

(but with spoiler tags just in case...)

...on a lesser scale I'd say Bran's fall and the situation he witnessed that led to his fall, the golden crown moment with Viserys, and the death of King Robert (though that one I kind of expected... but the big ones have yet to come on the TV series so I won't even mention them...

There are so many things happening in the 8th episode! Cool stuff all around! This part of the story (and the season) is beginning the final rise to a dramatic finale. Some of my favourite moments from the book are in this episode. I really have to congratulate the writers for such a faithful and fluid and dramatic in its own right adaptation of this mammoth of a book. :)

There are so many things happening in the 8th episode! Cool stuff all around! This part of the story (and the season) is beginning the final rise to a dramatic finale. Some of my favourite moments from the book are in this episode. I really have to congratulate the writers for such a faithful and fluid and dramatic in its own right adaptation of this mammoth of a book. :)

Grrr, can't come up with a clever, pithy, yet gently teasing reply to that last sentence so I'll just say... Episode 8, written by the book's original author, George R.R. Martin. :) (Of course I might be misinterpreting your smiley face there and you already knew that, in which case, never mind...)

Seriously, though, one of the best episodes of the season so far. It almost felt like two episodes, there was so much.

Grrr, can't come up with a clever, pithy, yet gently teasing reply to that last sentence so I'll just say... Episode 8, written by the book's original author, George R.R. Martin. :) (Of course I might be misinterpreting your smiley face there and you already knew that, in which case, never mind...)

Seriously, though, one of the best episodes of the season so far. It almost felt like two episodes, there was so much.

I meant my last sentence to cover the writing of the entire 1st season.

And I have to be honest and say I did not notice that it was Martin himself who had written this episode but it shows in how naturally his words from the novel are adapted to suite the screen, presenting so many events to the viewer, keeping a brisk pace but still succeeds in keeping it all together very nicely. Not a wasted line in this episode.

Episode 8 : done !

The episode starts and.. all hell breaks loose ! Lannister guards are wreaking havoc in King's Landing, slaughtering any Stark guard they might find. But then, they stumble upon Syrio (which I like to call Forel The Great). Time for some ass-kicking! Anyway, the scene ends pretty quickly, leaving us unsure if he managed to survive or not (but I'm confident he did). After all, he is Forel The Great.

One thing that bugged me at the beginning of this episode is the way each scene ended. They used the same old technique for three scenes, with the back of the bad guy(s) covering the screen, leaving us unsure of what happens to good guys. One time is OK. Three times, it starts to feel cheap. And it felt unnecessary for Sansa scene, since apparently, nothing happened to her. Bah! I'm just nitpicking here.

Back at the Wall, things are finally moving, with White Walkers "infiltrating" the camp. And we finally get to see more of Ghost. It was about damn time ! I was slightly disappointed by the White Walker scene, though. Not as frightening as it could/should have been.

On the Winterfell side, Robb is finally getting something to do. And I liked that, a lot. Robb's character is getting more depth, and that can only be a good thing.

Concerning Daenerys storyline, not much is happening, except Drogo decides to kill someone. After all, he is good at doing that, so why wouldn't he do it, right ?

On a sidenote, Tyrion and Tywing scene was great.

And loved Barristan Selmy "exit" scene. I will miss that dude (or will I ?)

War is coming. Can't wait for episode 9!

You do realize that the creature attacking Mormont and Jon was not a White Walker but a corpse of a man, much like the little girl in the first episode with those blue eyes. In all the fast ruckus of the fight we did not get to see those burning blue eyes too well this time but the scene itself was well done in my opinion. They are a mere harbinger you know, not the actual threat.

And you just wait with the Daenerys storyline. All has its purpose in the story, even the "unmeaningful" fight in this episode.

Charles Dance is always great and just perfect as Tywin Lannister. His scene with Tyrion was excellent. There was also a terrific contrast between him and his brother Kevan, Tyrion's uncle.

Most of all you should remember there are 4 more books of this and 2 more in the works so there is going to be A LOT happening before everything is over. White Walkers can wait a while. ;)

Watched epi 7 tonight; still purposely staying behind.

This show is turning into a BEAST. Absolutely brilliant. Well - apart from that fuckin' ridiculous lesbo arsehole-fingering sequence. It's a shame that such low-brow rubbish made it into an otherwise excellent instalment. And yes - I got the devious "point" of the scene. Yawn.

Anyway, this LA Times comment is particularly noteworthy (SPOILERS):

"Also, the series has been using a handful of music cues over and over, and there's a particularly intrusive one in the middle of the scene with Danaerys and the unfortunate wine merchant. Just before he drops his cup and bolts for it, the "guess what? this scene involves the Dothraki!" drums start up, which makes it seem like he's been attacked by the horsemen before he tries to run away."

Source

Apart from the genuinely superb main theme, the rest of the music in this show is utterly non-eventful and completely forgettable. I guess that makes it serviceable, just. Such a wasted opportunity really. Ah well, I suppose that's just the way it is nowadays.

But yeah - so far at least - Game of Thrones is easily the best thing I've seen on tv since The Sopranos.

You don't need to put spoiler tags on episodes that have already aired

This is what keeps me from getting fully involved with this thread. When I do update my progress my eyes are firmly fixed on my own post and nobody else's.

:lol: They showed about as much as you can get away with without it being legitimately classifiable as porn. Like Quint, I thought it was more gratuitous and unnecessary than anything else.

:lol: They showed about as much as you can get away with without it being legitimately classifiable as porn. Like Quint, I thought it was more gratuitous and unnecessary than anything else.

Yes, indeed.

And this scene was in episode, ah, 7 was it? :whistle:

Yes, indeed.

I could have done without "naked Hodor" scene in Episode 8....

I could do without any scene involving male nudity. :P But yeah, that seemed especially pointless and weird. Am I even supposed to have known who that guy was?

Most of all you should remember there are 4 more books of this and 2 more in the works so there is going to be A LOT happening before everything is over. White Walkers can wait a while. ;)

WHAT ?! Are you telling me we won't see more of the White Walkers before Season 2, 3, 4 or 5?!

No not exactly. They do remain in the game but I do not want to spoil things for you. Wait and see (or read the novels). By the way they are also referred to as the Others in the novels. ;)

I could have done without "naked Hodor" scene in Episode 8....

Am I even supposed to have known who that guy was?

Do not mock poor Hodor! He is a simpleton who carries Bran around. A good decent guy, little soft in the head. Can only say his own name.

Whew! The 9th episode was powerful and emotional.

Got to love Bronn, the mercenary Tyrion hired. Nothing seems to shake him.

And Tyrion is the Man! Or should I say the Half-Man. ;)

The Late Lord Frey was also terrific, great piece of casting there indeed.

So much is happening now, as it does in the novel, the events just flying from one to the next. Could be somewhat confusing for the people who have not read the books but the brisk pace really keeps the climb to the finale steady. A lot of info to take in to be sure.

Just watched episode 9.

Nooooooooooooo... Gutted.

Oh and in posting this my eye accidentally caught sight of a post above regarding the White Walkers.

[post edited]

Admin note:

Somebody needs a chill pill