GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

It all feels like just meaningless backstabbing to me.

Whatever, dude! Whenever we ask your opinion on something, you're always like: 'I don't care'. Did you lose your feelings somewhere or what?

If anything, Eddard's death felt far more like "killing a character just for shock value" than Robb's death. Eddard's death to me always felt like Martin did that so that people would talk about his book. "

Wow, the guy just killed the main character! That's totally unexpected! I need to tell my friend about this book!". If you look at this character's journey, you can almost feel like he was created only to be killed. Robb, on the other hand, is a more developed character, with real goals and who is more active in the story, so taking him out was a bit more than just "killing a character just for shock value", in my opinion, even though I don't entirely disagree with you... What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that his death is more naturally integrated into the course of the story than Eddard's.

I do care, I just have a bit of difficulty empathizing fully with this... adult feudal nobility. It's easier with Arya or Bran.

I think Arya, Bran and Rickon will survive. The rest will fall, one by one.

I think GRRM is perfectly capable of killing any of those.

Rickon hasn't done anything, so I don't think his death does anything.

With the direction Bran's character takes, I think he became too important a character to kill.

Bran is that crucial element that brings in the supernatural to the series. He's essentially what bridges the Children of the Forest and all the fantasy concepts with the political drama. He can't be killed off, or at least not yet.

Arya too, in a similar manner, still has much to do before she gets killed off.

I don't see any of them leaving any time soon.

I am afraid that Martin will start meandering too much in the final novels as he has done to some degree with books 4 and 5. He should keep his story from becoming aimless flailing about and give the narrative sharper focus.

At first I thought Jon Snow could become an interesting character but his random drift through the show is a bit disappointing, specially since he's one of the characters in the single most interesting location.

Funny how you continue to bash the score for the Red Wedding although it worked perfectly, enhanced the scene, hit all the right beats and even is enjoyable to listen to on the soundtrack. It reminded me a bit of the famous Psycho scene and if you consider it bland, well i respectfully disagree. Zimmer nowadays is much worse than what you get here. There are some synths in the background but they are in now way distracting or prominent.

Then there is the Mhysa track for next episode that is the best thing Djawadi has composed for the show yet. I am really looking forward to this scene. In addition there is a beautiful choral arrangement of the Game of Thrones theme called "Dark Wings, Dark Words".

Book 4 meandered quite a bit, but still had gripping stuff.

Book 5 was an improvement and is much more focused. Let's hope book 6 continues in that fashion.

Zimmer nowadays is much worse than what you get here.

Despite my quips with the score, I'll have to agree. The GoT Season 3 OST sounds better than what I've heard from Man of Steel.

I am afraid that Martin will start meandering too much in the final novels as he has done to some degree with books 4 and 5. He should keep his story from becoming aimless flailing about and give the narrative sharper focus.

The big advantage the show has is that they can skip a lot of the more boring "travel" material and create a denser and more interesting season 4 and 5 consisting of the highlights of the books.

The big advantage the show has is that they can skip a lot of the more broing "travel" material and create a denser and more interesting season 4 and 5 consisting of the highlights of the books.

True.

And it seems that he music is pretty much the only thing we two can't agree on concerning this show. :lol:

Book 4 meandered quite a bit, but still had gripping stuff.

Book 5 was an improvement and is much more focused. Let's hope book 6 continues in that fashion.

Yet for me there was a strange feeling of "where is this going to lead" throughout the book 5. I do hope that all the plot lines make sense later.

Arya too, in a similar manner, still has much to do before she gets killed off.

So did Robb...

But Robb's were more political goals.

Arya looks like she has much to do in the bigger picture of the series as a whole.

The big advantage the show has is that they can skip a lot of the more broing "travel" material and create a denser and more interesting season 4 and 5 consisting of the highlights of the books.

True.

And it seems that he music is pretty much the only thing we two can't agree on concerning this show. :lol:

I'm excited to see

Cersei's demise on television.

True.

Well yeah, but you have to admit that Djawadi gradually got better even if he is still bad in your opinion :)

So sad that you got spoilered on this, better avoid most Thrones sites. I can recommend the westeros.org site or winter-is-coming.net. Both sites are heavily moderated and provide news and discussions for non readers and readers alike.

And please, don't ever read any comments of articles, youtube, etc concerning the show. Everything till book five is spoilered by some idiots!

The Mhysa track isn't anything too mind-blowing. It's fairly simple writing, and you might be annoyed by the use of the GoT ostinato. But it's satisfying to get a more organic/live recording. It's enjoyable stuff. If you liked the finale music from Season 1, you'll like this track (it's a lot better). It also makes me very curious about how tomorrow's finale will play out.

Book 4 meandered a lot, but still had some gripping stuff.

I stumbled upon a spoiler for Book 4 (seriously, I think I'm gonna have to avoid every fucking site and article that mentions the show not to stumble on spoilers! There's no other way!), which made me go like: "What the fuck?!"

SPOILER BOOK 4 BELOW!!

Zombie Catelyn?

Seriously?!

Yup. It's not as horrifying as you think though. It works.

I'm looking forward to something else from that book though that would make some really dramatic television.

The big advantage the show has is that they can skip a lot of the more boring "travel" material and create a denser and more interesting season 4 and 5 consisting of the highlights of the books.

Wait, don't you mean Season 5 and 6? Isn't Season 4 going to cover the second half of Book 3?

How did you like the Choral performance of the Main Theme? (track called "Dark Wings, Dark Words)

Wait, don't you mean Season 5 and 6? Isn't Season 4 going to cover the second half of Book 3?

Yeah, you are right. Should be Seasons 5 and 6 although it depends on the amount of material from book 4 that makes it into Season 4 and if HBO wants to do 7 or 8 Seasons.

If they finish adapting Book 3 before the end of Season 4, wouldn't the end of Season 4 pull from both Book 4 and Book 5 since they take place at the same time?

I think that's what he meant.

How did you like the Choral performance of the Main Theme? (track called "Dark Wings, Dark Words)

Yeah, you are right. Should be seasons 5 and 6 although it depends on the amount of material from book 4 that makes it into season 4 and if HBO wants to do 7 or 8 seasons.

Again, it's nice to hear live choir for this. But I don't quite love how its used here. He relies on the ostinato too much. And the main theme and the ostinato don't quite work in a choral setting. It would have been more effective if he wrote a more independent choral piece.

The choral work in Mhysa is better.

Has "Dark Wings, Dark Words" showed up on tv yet? I don't quite remember it. Will it be in the finale?

If they finish adapting Book 3 before the end of Season 4, wouldn't the end of Season 4 pull from both Book 4 and Book 5 since they take place at the same time?

I agree, some storylines at the end of season 4 will use material from book 4 and 5. Adapting the books for the end of Season 4 and for Season 5 and 6 won't be easy but they will pull it off and improve on the later books.

Has "Dark Wings, Dark Words" showed up on tv yet? I don't quite remember it. Will it be in the finale?

No, it either is album only or will appear in episode 10. The guitar arrangement of the Thrones theme (track "For the Realm") also didn't appear yet.

I am annoyed that the folksy instrumental versions of the "Rains of Castamere", "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" and the piece reminding of Stan's Theme from Monkey Island 3 (played on both weddings) aren't included on the OST. I really enjoyed those.

Season 3 episode 4

Somehow, I'm starting to appreciate Daenerys more now.

Her plan only works because of the stupidy of the slaver guy, though. Yeah, give her an army right in front of you in exchange for a dragon... oops. Dany's idea was obvious from the moment she said she'd give him a dragon.

About that episode...

I'm not overly fond of the slave army that you can command if you have the whip. It's a bit of a cheap trick, really. And the thing is, Dany-O throws it away at the end of the sequence, so I guess that's supposed to mean that the soldiers are now completely loyal to her, but what has she done in order to gain that loyalty? Nothing, really. Some might say she gave them free will, but the whole point of this army is that it does whatever you command it to do. These guys don't have the slightest idea what free will is. They are robots, really. So, I ask again: why do they follow her if she doesnt have the whip anymore?

Because they as slaves have some kind of weird sense of honor? Because it is convenient as hell? Deus ex machina? A nice platinum blond boob lady is a better master than a bald meanie?

About that episode...

I'm not overly fond of the slave army that you can command if you have the whip. It's a bit of a cheap trick, really. And the thing is, Dany-O throws it away at the end of the sequence, so I guess that's supposed to mean that the soldiers are now completely loyal to her, but what has she done in order to gain that loyalty? Nothing, really. Some might say she gave them free will, but the whole point of this army is that it does whatever you command it to do. These guys don't have the slightest idea what free will is. They are robots, really. So, I ask again: why do they follow her if she doesnt have the whip anymore?

Maybe instead of cutting to the army going out, they should have the episode ended here and later they could have some stuff with Dany and the army in between before the cool "army following Dany" shots on a later moment.

It would work better on a cliffhanger kind of way. But the resolution afterwards could be boring.

Season 3, episode 5

For some reason, I always want to punch the badass Tywin Lannister, but I love it when he gets mad at Cersei.

And when he gets mad at Joffrey. Everyone's afraid of badass Tywin Lannister! :P

Watched episode 9.

uOi6DMG.jpg

So sad that you got spoilered on this, better avoid most Thrones sites. I can recommend the westeros.org site or winter-is-coming.net. Both sites are heavily moderated and provide news and discussions for non readers and readers alike.

And please, don't ever read any comments of articles, youtube, etc concerning the show. Everything till book five is spoilered by some idiots!

You don't really know Blood "Drinker of Spoilers" Boal very well, do you? Pity him not.

I've avoided this thread and all of the Game of Thrones internet. It paid off.

Did the same with Breaking Bad. Paid off there too.

Apparently some people struggle with that shit.

Oh I had no idea what was coming.

Just had this strange feeling there was something a bit too... tame about the first 40 minutes.

Karol

An overall amazing episode, even though the last scene could be improved upon, in my not so humble opinion...(Of course, I'm expecting most of you to disagree with me).

Music sucked yes, but what I especially liked about the episode was the very ending. How Catelyn mercilessly kills one of his daughters, and after some silence and standing still, her own throat gets cut. It was terrifying stuff.

Well, yes and no.

On the one hand, the original music overlaying the actual deaths of the two was indeed a bit bland (and what irritated me the most is that it wasn't a variation on the Stark Theme, just the same ostinato that I'm actually getting tired of...what the hell? But, I think it still managed to do its job, because I was absolutely wrecked emotionally after that episode. Perhaps that was simply due to the enormous budget and the amazing acting of those two...most especially Michelle Fairley.

On the other hand, when The Reins of Castamere started playing, I got the biggest chill I've ever had in my life. Composer outdid himself with the music he set that to. Got to be the most emotionally powerful use of source music I've ever seen.

The Rains of Castamere tune was written by Djawadi. It was already a song written by someone else for season 2. I suppose the source-like cue in context was written by Djawadi, but it doesn't seem like a particularly impressive feat to merit. In context, it sure sends chills down the spine, but I think thats more how the music was handled by the writers, than how it was written.

The Rains of Castamere tune was written by Djawadi. It was already a song written by someone else for season 2. I suppose the source-like cue in context was written by Djawadi, but it doesn't seem like a particularly impressive feat to merit. In context, it sure sends chills down the spine, but I think thats more how the music was handled by the writers, than how it was written.

Oh, I thought he wrote it and The National only performed it. Huh, that's kind of ironic...how the best part of the score is not Djawadi...and also

...now my favorite theme has pretty much no reason to show up.

:( Unless he starts using it with Bran, I guess.

Tywin finally faces the one person who can stand up to him. The high point being her asking him if he's gay.

That was a great scene, with two amazing actors. I hope we'll get to see more of the two facing each other.

Although it has to be said Tywin still goes for the win in that session of diplomatic fencing. The series has also humanized him a good deal when compared to the novels. He is three dimensional now instead of just being the harsh and bullying father/ruler. And Charles Dance delivers an absolutely brilliant performance. I love how his presence fills the throne room as he approaches Joffrey.

Same here, but it's mainly just the tediously embarrassing nudity which bugs me. Every time l think I'm watching something really high end and sophisticated l am always reminded, like clock work, that I'm not.

Diana Rigg is really good in this, scene chewing accepted. But I find her absolutely repulsive on the eye!

SPOILER BELOW...

Another thing I just want to mention is the noticeable raising of the convenient bullshit meter this season. The way Dany and her latest loyal subject (at the drop of a hat) beheaded his dickhead comrades before being entirely trusted (because one of the terminator's in her army reassured her, lol) to go on to sack an entire city, which was apparently a four man job. It works fine for heist movies, but the bullshit barrier was stretched almost to breaking point in this. I hope it doesn't turn into a running joke.

Same here, but it's mainly just the tediously embarrassing nudity which bugs me. Every time l think I'm watching something really high end and sophisticated l am always reminded, like clock work, that I'm not.

Diana Rigg is really good in this, scene chewing accepted. But I find her absolutely repulsive on the eye!

SPOILER BELOW...

Another thing I just want to mention is the noticeable raising of the convenient bullshit meter this season. The way Dany and her latest loyal subject (at the drop of a hat) beheaded his dickhead comrades before being entirely trusted (because one of the terminator's in her army reassured her, lol) to go on to sack an entire city, which was apparently a four man job. It works fine for heist movies, but the bullshit barrier was stretched almost to breaking point in this. I hope it doesn't turn into a running joke.

The conquering of the city was done in the "Rome" style, meaning that they showed the opening and the aftermath but nothing in between for obvious budgetary reasons much in the same way as they handled things in the Rome TV-series for the major battles. But it was also done in a way that made it look like just 4 men sacked the whole city. In the novel there is a larger force infiltrating the place and they go in through an old sewer if I remember correctly. Martin also skips the entire battle as no point-of-view characters are present. But presumably Mormont and Daario Naharis had more troops to help them. But it happened quite conveniently in the novel as well.

Episode 10: After the dramatic events of episode 9 this one had the feeling of set up for season 4. Tying up plots, setting up new ones and giving the characters and the stories a sort of a breather or a midway point. A couple of excellent intimate scenes between characters were a highlight. And no sexposition, making me wonder why do we need any when the drama itself carries this show effortlessly. A less epic and more thoughtful ending to a season. Makes sense since we are midway through the 3rd novel.

Is it midway, or more like 2/3rd into the 3rd book?

Might be. Quite frankly I should read these novels 2 times a year to remember everything that happens. But don't you go picking nits BB!

I wouldn't dare do that! It's just that I've heard people saying that

the Red Wedding

takes place two 2/3 into the book.

Yeah now that I checked it seems it does. Still the book runs about 300 to 400 pages more so there is a good amount of material. Makes me wonder will 4th season feature material from book 4 though.

Oh and the 4th season will feature some great stuff. Awesome scenes. I can't wait. :)

The nudity itself doesn't bother me, but last episode I saw had an hysterical shot of Robb and whats-her-name showing their asses to the camera in a careful composition that cracked me up.