GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Two more casting announcements for A Clash Of Kings:

Tom Wlaschiha is Jaqen H’ghar

Nonso Anozie cast as Xaro Xhoan Daxos (Apparently, this character is described as being "pale as milk" in the book. Talk about an overstatement !)

Interesting choices. Jaqen H'ghar seems pretty good, Xaro on the other hand is nothing like I imagined. Not that I am complaining too loudly. E.g. Syrio Forel was not hawk-nosed and bald but the actor embodied the bravado of the character superbly in the series. The casting has been truly excellent thusfar.

Game Of Thrones Visual Effects Showreel

(Some spoilers ahead if you haven't seen Season 1 in its entirety).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkptadiDABo&feature=player_embedded

Only just watched this, thanks for linking.

Just makes me marvel at the successful execution of the show even more than I do already. It's incredible to think this is merely a production for humble television.

As for the shots themselves - I had no idea the sets in Winterfell weren't as real as they seemed - I assumed they just found what they needed by scouting around and going with it. Castle Black too had some fine FX work which was beautifully seamless and believable. That's not to say it was all great though - I remember noticing the odd fake looking cg vista during the run of the show, but on the whole it's really good stuff.

Nice... music.

Bah! I say Bah to that good sir!

*Grumble, grumble*. Preposterous! Ridiculous! Outrageous! Blasphemous!

I think we are subconsciously alert for CGI these days as it is so prevalent. So we tend to notice those CGI vistas or things that we know that can't be real more easily and pay more attention to them. It is almost like a mental note of "That can't be real, it is CGI. And because I did not believe it then it can't be good CGI." If the story is engrossing enough you can suspend your disbelief and enjoy it fully while knowing it is an effect. Much as you did with regular matte paintings of old. Also these days we are far more aware of the nuts-and-bolts side of film making and effects than in previous decades.

That said the effects are just wonderfully seamless and well done in this show. Subtle but brilliant.

Spoilers ahead ! (for season 1)

OK, I need to play this game. Now !

Awesome :lol:

Finally finished the first season. I'm looking forward to season 2. Love the scope of this whole series.

I do feel almost like episode 9 was really the first season's finale, with episode 10 dealing with the beginning of the fallout and setting things in motion for season 2.

Definitely. It's a "calm before the storm" sort of finale. I think the final scene is just marvellous.

:nod:

I'm on page 200, now (Boy, am I slow !), which is roughly the equivalent of the middle of Episode 3. Jon Snow at the Wall, arrival at King's Landing, entrance of Littlefinger and all that shit... But where the fuck are the Dothrakis ? I want to see them ride, damnit !

It has been said before, and I'll say it myself, the series is pretty damn faithful to the book. That's a shame, though, that the few scenes that did not make it on screen are amongst the best in the book:

I'm thinking of Bran's dream, in particular, and also Jaime killing the Mad King. They should have made a flashback of that scene. Seeing Jaime Lannister on the Iron Throne, with his bloodied sword: that would have been badass !

Jaime_Lannister_The_Kingslayer_by_Tasty_Crayon.jpg

Yeah I missed the flashbacks or character reminiscing past events and some of the grander dream sequences. I think they could have pulled those dreams off quite elegantly seeing how fine their effects work was throughout the first season.

11 stunning (and strange) versions of the Game of Thrones theme

The "violins" version is top notch, and so is the "8-bit" version, (which was already posted in this thread). The "medieval" version is worth mentioning, too.

And gotta love the "accordion" version ! :thumbup:

Yes pretty impressive fan made versions, the violin, violin and piano, accordion (vive la France!) and medieval instrument versions being the best of the lot in my opinion.

I like the Medieval version. I'd like to have someone like Bear McCreary do a BSG type of thing in this style for the series. Could be really cool.

Karol

Yeah, I wouldn't mind gaming her throne.

I wait with great anticipation for that expression to catch on. Most likely it will with this GoT craze. :P

Indeed. I think I'm in love with the violin/piano girl.

It's no because of her chord progression, is it ? ;)

I'm on page 300 now, roughly the equivalent of the end of Episode 4. I wish they shown a bit more of the Hand's Tournament in the series, like Barristan Selmy Vs Jaime Lannister. Would have been cool.

One question, though: where are all the sex scenes ? The main reason I started reading the book is because I wanted to revisit all the sex scenes that were in the show! Incanus told us that these scenes were put in the series because they already were in the book, but apart from Daenerys and Drogo horse-riding thingy, nothing's there. How disappointing! Does anyone know where I can buy the Unrated Version of the book?

P.S.: The more I listen to the "violins" version of the main theme, the more I think they should replace Djawadi's version with that one for the following seasons. Really.

Sorry to disappoint you Bloodboal but I actually said they have put all the sex scenes from the book into the series. I did not say they did not write their own as well and go overboard.

Sorry to disappoint you Bloodboal but I actually said they have put all the sex scenes from the book into the series. I did not say they did not write their own as well and go overboard.

You're a lying bastard, that's what you are.

I'll get you for that. One day, mark my words. One day...

Nobody smears my name, least of all such a sex crazed fiend as you!

Anyway...

Fantastic news. Another great actor. Certainly memorable and I think he will make and excellent pyromancer. He has the suitable academic learned air about him.

And I am sure he will do excellent job kowtowing to the big wigs at King's Landing as well.

:)

EW interview: George R.R. Martin talks 'A Dance With Dragons'

Some interesting stuff here, and only minor spoilers for the fifth book. The first season of the series is also discussed.

P.S.: Martin agrees with me: the tournament should have been bigger.

Yeah I agree with you and Martin.

Some random thoughts:

- I like the fact that in the book, Robert admits that he knows that Joffrey lied about Arya's wolf. Should have been in the series.

- I preferred that it was Littlefinger that told The Hound's story to Sansa, rather than the Hound himself.

- Jaime got his ass kicked at the tournament. Wow.

- I wish Arya's training was a little more developped in the show. We learn a bit more about that in the book. Who wouldn't want more scenes with Forel The Great?

And finally, there is one thing I noticed, reading the book: all the sex scenes that were added in the series have one character in common: Ros. A character that was created for the show, apparently as a way for the creators to let the viewers know the thoughts of characters for which we don't have a point of view in the book, or at least not at some point in the story. Indeed, we have a Ros/Tyrion scene, a Ros/Theon scene, and a Ros and another girl/Littlefinger scene. I wish the creators of the series found another way for them to tell us what these people think without having to resort to sex. They managed to do that for Robert scenes, with Jaime and then with Cirsei, which were great scenes not in the book. Why couldn't they do that with other characters? Bah!

That's the spirit lad! I agree with you. They could have found other ways of showing us some of the non-point-of-view character moments besides showing us nude scenes or sexposition as I like to call it.

Forgot to mention Ros/Mester Pycelle scene. What the fuck was that ? Useless as shit !

Page 400, now, roughly the equivalent of the end of Episode 5. Half of the journey done.

A few thoughts:

- There is nothing going on between Renly and Loras Tyrell in the book. Why did they feel it was necessary to add that in the series? That is beyond my understanding. Another case of sexposition (All Rights Reserved © Incanus, 2011), I guess.

- In the book, Tyrion denies that the dagger belongs to him, and he pretends that Littlefinger lied, whereas in the show, Tyrion never says such a thing. He just says that he wasn't responsible for the attempt of murder on Bran. Interesting...

- I thought that in the book, they would explain why Bronn joins Catelyn's men to the Eyries, but no. Like in the show, we're left wondering who this guy is, and what he is doing here.

- It would have been nice to see a bit more of Catelyn's arrival at the Eyries. Would have made a good sequence, I think.

- I wish we would have seen a bit more of Vaes Dothrak in the show, and learn a bit more about this town. In the show, it never feels like they are in this large, large town. They're just in huts most of the time.

- And another scene (with the prelude) that is very different from what was shown in the show: Ned Vs the Lannisters men. The scene feels more dramatic in the book, with the rain and all that shit. Too bad there is no duel between the lion and the wolf, though.

-Grand Maester Pycelle scene with Ros was odd, but again used sexposition (not my invention though so I can't trademark it) to tell us a little bit of the character, his pretense and survivalist nature. Giving a hint that nothing is what it seems, as it turns out to be much of the time in the series.

-You should think the adaptation in a different light. Different methods for different medium. In the show they had to be a bit blunt with Loras/Renly material, out of necessity or idea that it would add to the success of the show, which in the novels is very subtle. It actually took quite a bit of time to become evident, left ambiguous until the 4th novel and voiced there in the most suggestive tones. I also feel it should have been subtler in the series.

-The Valyrian steel dagger is an interesting piece of weaponry with a convoluted past. ;)

-Bronn is a survivor type with no larger plans than living and becoming to some coin if there is a chance. A mercenary portrait.

-Eyrie was also a wasted opportunity in its grandness but I have to admit a challenge budget and design-wise. Also it would have slowed the pace down if the whole journey up the mountain had been shown.

-I thought the series version of Ned's wounding was appropriate for the character of Jaime, being a sword wielding hothead and further adding hatred between these men. In the book it feels less like a stand off than it is an accident, a dramatic desperate accident, where you feel for Ned and his men, for the unjustice of brutal Lannister justice where Ned can't do anything about it to protect his men.

-Grand Maester Pycelle scene with Ros was odd, but again used sexposition (not my invention though so I can't trademark it) to tell us a little bit of the character, his pretense and survivalist nature. Giving a hint that nothing is what it seems, as it turns out to be much of the time in the series.

-You should think the adaptation in a different light. Different methods for different medium. In the show they had to be a bit blunt with Loras/Renly material, out of necessity or idea that it would add to the success of the show, which in the novels is very subtle. It actually took quite a bit of time to become evident, left ambiguous until the 4th novel and voiced there in the most suggestive tones. I also feel it should have been subtler in the series.

-The Valyrian steel dagger is an interesting piece of weaponry with a convoluted past. ;)

-Bronn is a survivor type with no larger plans than living and becoming to some coin if there is a chance. A mercenary portrait.

-Eyrie was also a wasted opportunity in its grandness but I have to admit a challenge budget and design-wise. Also it would have slowed the pace down if the whole journey up the mountain had been shown.

-I thought the series version of Ned's wounding was appropriate for the character of Jaime, being a sword wielding hothead and further adding hatred between these men. In the book it feels less like a stand off than it is an accident, a dramatic desperate accident, where you feel for Ned and his men, for the unjustice of brutal Lannister justice where Ned can't do anything about it to protect his men.

- I maintain what I said about Maester Pycelle scene: useless as shit

- If you like Renly and Tyrell having sex scenes together, then good for you, but I don't understand your "different methods for different medium" statement in order to justify the sex scenes. You're weird, Finnish boy!

- I'm sure we'll learn more about that dagger in the following books, and the following seasons (during which the true holder of the dagger will be revealed during a sex scene, obviously).

- Concerning Bronn, I would have liked to have at least one sentence saying: "And that Bronn dude decided to join them because he was looking for good fights, good money, and maybe good women, along the way". In the book, his name appears out of nowhere (it was not even mentioned during the inn scene) during their journey to the Eyrie. Odd as hell. And in the series, he's just there. Don't ask too many question, or he might chop off your head.

- I agree with the arrival of the Eyrie being cut down for pacing issue. Still, would have been nice to see a bit of it.

- Yeah, both versions of Ned/Jaime's encounter have their qualities, but I think the best version would have been a mix of both.

-Do you ever read my answers in full? Perhaps I should have written in bold lettering but I did not say I preferred the Renly/Loras relationship to be introduced in such a way, I was just presenting possible reasons for the inclusion of the scene and its justification on the film makers' part, NOT MY OWN. READ DAMN YOU, READ! NOT MY OWN! I SAID I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED SOMETHING SUBTLER, NOT LIKE HERE WHERE I HAVE TO BOLD MY LETTERING!

- Concerning Bronn. To each his own. I like the way Bronn appears out of the crowd so to speak and takes up on the opportunity. He is certainly not the deepest character, support mostly. But he is good grim fun guy doing Tyrion's legwork.

- I maintain what I said about Maester Pycelle scene: useless as shit

- If you like Renly and Tyrell having sex scenes together, then good for you, but I don't understand your "different methods for different medium" statement in order to justify the sex scenes. You're weird, Finnish boy!

- I'm sure we'll learn more about that dagger in the following books, and the following seasons (during which the true holder of the dagger will be revealed during a sex scene, obviously).

- Concerning Bronn, I would have liked to have at least one sentence saying: "And that Bronn dude decided to join them because he was looking for good fights, good money, and maybe good women, along the way". In the book, his name appears out of nowhere (it was not even mentioned during the inn scene) during their journey to the Eyrie. Odd as hell. And in the series, he's just there. Don't ask too many question, or he might chop off your head.

- I agree with the arrival of the Eyrie being cut down for pacing issue. Still, would have been nice to see a bit of it.

- Yeah, both versions of Ned/Jaime's encounter have their qualities, but I think the best version would have been a mix of both.

-Do you ever read my answers in full? Perhaps I should have written in bold lettering but I did not say I preferred the Renly/Loras relationship to be introduced in such a way, I was just presenting possible reasons for the inclusion of the scene and its justification on the film makers' part, NOT MY OWN. READ DAMN YOU, READ! NOT MY OWN! I SAID I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED SOMETHING SUBTLER, NOT LIKE HERE WHERE I HAVE TO BOLD MY LETTERING!

- Concerning Bronn. To each his own. I like the way Bronn appears out of the crowd so to speak and takes up on the opportunity. He is certainly not the deepest character, support mostly. But he is good grim fun guy doing Tyrion's legwork.

-Of course, I never read your your answers in full. They're too damn long! Bold lettering can be subtle, if you use it wisely. But apparently, you can't.

- I have no problem with Bronn being the character he is (taking opportunity of the situation and all that shit). However, I have a problem with how the character is introduced (or, more precisely, I have a problem with the lack of introduction of that character). Do YOU ever read my answers in full?

P.S.: Boy, I'm thinking about all those lads who don't want to spoil themselves, and must be like: "I can't read their posts. I MUST not read their posts. They must be talking about some serious spoilerful shit. Must... not... click... on.... spoiler... button...". Poor lads, indeed..

:lol: So true

He sure looks the part. I hope he is a good actor as well. :P

I wonder why do they create new characters for the show when the book is so full of them. There is a long list of extras who appear as name only in the appendix. They could have used those instead of inventing more people. But I guess they do not want to sully any of them since some fans might complain that their favourite non-descript once mentioned background character should not be doing this and that as it is not mentioned in the novels.

I wonder why do they create new characters for the show when the book is so full of them. There is a long list of extras who appear as name only in the appendix. They could have used those instead of inventing more people. But I guess they do not want to sully any of them

Yeah, because they are going to use these new characters for sexposition, obviously.;)

Exactly. :P

By the way, I wonder if we'll see Ros in Season 2, or if she'll just vanish from existence, never to be seen again.

I am sure she'll be entertaining some major characters so they can give us some exposition while giving her some sexposition.

By the way, I wonder if we'll see Ros in Season 2, or if she'll just vanish from existence, never to be seen again.

I am sure she'll be entertaining some major characters so they can give us some exposition while giving her some sexposition.

I hope for her sake that she's not gonna travel through all of the Seven Kingdoms in order for us to have the point of view of every damn Westeros' inhabitant.

I smell spin-off potential. It should be an adult rated series though. Would be a hit I am sure.