GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Guess what? Another casting announcement for season 2!

Meet Craster

At last, one actor I've heard of !

Man this series has a great cast. And yes Robert Pugh is a little more known than many others amoung the cast. But the list for season 2 is looking excellent. :)

I finished it last week.

Karol

Any thoughts??

I'm on page 600 now, roughly the equivalent of the middle of Episode 8. The end draws near...

A few thoughts:

- Cersei and Robert (well, Jaime, actually)'s children are a bit more present in the book. In the series, I think you only see them in one episode. Don't know if it's a wise move, if there are more active in the following books.

- Ned is an idiot: In Littlefinger We Trust

- Farewell (?), Syrio Forel.

- Sansa told to Cersei about her father's plan to leave King's Landing? Beach! They did well by not including it in the series. People would have hated her more than they probably already do.

- OK, the blue-eyes dude's attack in Castleblack is way better in the book. It's longer, Ghost has an active part in it, and it's way scarier than what was depicted in the show. And, come on, why didn't they show us Lord Mormont naked? That would have been hilarious! We got to see Hodor naked but not Lord Mormont? WTF?

- Talking about naked Hodor, we got to know why he appeared naked when Bran was in front of the weirwood in the series.

- One thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts: in the show, one thing they removed from Old Nan's story to Bran are the Children of the Forest. I'm convinced they'll appear in one the following books. Why didn't they included them in Nan's story?

- We don't get to see Jorah getting the royal pardon, in the book, as it is shown in the series. Is that mentioned in the folowing books, or is it something they added in the show and never mentioned in the books?

- Wow, Data complained about all the names there was in the show, but oh boy, now that the war has started, there is like hundred of names for people, places, and all that shit on every page. I'm completely lost.

Bought A Clash Of Kings yesterday.

- I agree that the wight attack was better depicted in the book. One of the problems with the series is, they do not have time to set up the scenes as well as in the books. The build-up of suspence is lost and horror is dampened a bit. In defence of the series I can see why they minimized the work with the "direwolves" since dogs/wolves in film do not look half as convincing than you can imagine them in the books. No matter how you train a dog it will always look like rather harmless after the growling teeth showing shot. Sadly they usually lose all ferocity in the later shots in the series as well. Unless they put some CGI effort into those wolves later.

- Sansa revealing his father's plans would have made people hate her with burning ire but when you think about it, it fits her character perfectly. She is such a goose and innocent in every way. A 13-year old girl who has lived a sheltered life to a T.

- Hodor is Old Nan's grand(grandgrand) child.

- Jorah Mormont's pardon was not explicitly shown in the way as it is done in the series although it is mentioned as his motive for spying on Daenerys and Viserys. I think the series wanted to make him out as a traitor (or a suspect traitor) in more blunt way, hammering the fact home to the audience.

- You love those Appendices now don't you Bloodboal. Appendixes are your friend. Trust them with your life or you will be lost.

Believe it or not, there are no Appendixes in my edition. The only thing there is is a list of the characters of the five main houses (Baratheon, Stark, Lannister, Targaeryen and Tully). That's it.

I do know that some names are to be remembered, as the characters have been casted for the second season (such as Thoros of Myr, for example), but others, I don't know if they'll play an important part in the following books: for example, is Lord Beric Dondarrion going to be important later in the story? (by the way, this character has one of the most kick-ass names ever. Come on, say it out loud: "Lord Beric Dondarrion". Yeah, right? Kick-ass!)

Well the Appendices (or should we just say an appendix) of the first novel consist of those listings of characters belogning to each major House but that's it. There is no list of all the smaller names of characters and places in any of the books but the following books will have larger and more detailed appendices of these houses and new players as well. The first one's looks short and pitiful in comparison. Moreover the lists include people that we do not even encounter in the novels even once, e.g. more obscure Lannisters etc.

But hey if you are lost you can always try A Wiki of Ice and Fire to find out more about minor characters.

The names are a clever combination of familiar and strange. Martin often just writes common names in a different way but the pronounciation is the same like Petyr = Peter, Tytos = Titus and writing word sir with e to give it a slightly outlandish guise to set it apart from the normal.

But hey if you are lost you can always try A Wiki of Ice and Fire to find out more about minor characters.

Do they talk about Lord Beric Dondarrion, there?

A word of caution though. Beware there be spoilers lurking inside. Dondarrion is there but I would not suggest you look up anything before you have read all the novels. :P

I damnably stumbled upon a few when I was glancing through some articles and they had been updated with the info from Dance with Dragons. I can never unknow what I have learned. The horror of foreknowledge, the horror!

Just checked A Game Of Thrones appendixes in the link you provided (which is a direct retranscription of what is in the first book, apparently): wow! They removed almost everybody in my edition. They just kept something like 4 to 5 people for each house.

The transcription of the Appendix is accurate copy of the one at the back of the regular edition. You obviously bought some cheap-o edition of the book and got a cut version of the Houses. Shame.

Beric "Kick-ass" Dondarrion will appear in later books.

;) That is all I am going to tell you.

Sorry Bloodboal but your underhanded stab under the waistline with the Finnish book cover can't quite reach me as I also think it is awful. For some reason Finnish covers for fantasy novels have a long history of being ungodly awful, and seemingly having often very little to do with the story.

Take a look at this travesty, the two original covers from LotR trilogy in Finnish:

The Fellowship of the Ring

sr_netti.jpg

The Two Towers

kt_netti.jpg

Is the guy in front supposed to be Tom Bombadil? And who are the people in the back supposed to be?

I have no idea. Perhaps the dude with the red barret should be Aragorn or something. With that big red B on his chest it seems rather unlikely though. The guy is featured in the RotK cover as well.

It is just sad how the artist who made the Finnish covers seems to have been on heavy acid or tripping with some other drugs when he created his "masterpieces".

Here is another one of the LotR classics:

The Unfinished Tales:

134.jpg

I have not to this day the foggiest idea who the hell are those people sitting on those chairs with rocks that have eyes around them. Spooky.

Silmarillion:

135.jpg

Obviously some viking is sitting on a throne but nope it is not Morgoth to me. I just gets that mythic epic of Silmarillion with Elves and Valar across, doesn't it?

Going back to the horrible Fellowship cover, WTF is that supposed to be at the feet of the dude on the right? A sheep's head?

It's Gollum, silly! Wasn't it obvious? Doesn't he just look the part!?

STOP THIS IMMEDIATLY! I've seen horrible things in my life, such as rivers of blood, beheaded men, raped women... But this... this... I can't take it!

Silmarillion:

135.jpg

Obviously some viking is sitting on a throne but nope it is not Morgoth to me.

That's Lord Beric Dondarrion!

At least it sort of depicts the Dark Lord of the book. If you have a shit imagination.

At least it sort of depicts the Dark Lord of the book.

Well if Melkor looked like a bluish viking with a hangover then of course he looks like Morgoth.

I am also happy to announce that this guy has not done any more of them. So I can stop derailing the thread with horrible art type stuff.

Going back to the horrible Fellowship cover, WTF is that supposed to be at the feet of the dude on the right? A sheep's head?

It's Gollum, silly! Wasn't it obvious? Doesn't he just look the part!?

Ah, of course. He's got Serkis hair.

I finished it last week.

Karol

Any thoughts??

As I said before, it's a fast, entertaining read. I wouldn't call it excatly the masterpiece though. I think it is more interesting as a TV show. The book is very plot-driven after all, which is not exactly what good piece of literature should be, in my opinion. It should explore things only written word can do. As such, most popular fiction is just more detailed movie scripts. That's oversimplification, I know. But that's how most of it is written. Disappointing after very exciting 20th Century.

Karol

It's my opinion, not a fact. I just don't like very plot-driven novels. I like different things in books that simple plot cannot do. For example you can create entire book with a character that doesn't do anything (in terms of plot/story) or everything is happenning inside his head or whatever. It could make for a great novel (in fact I know a couple), but that would kill a film.

In short: I think books today are way too cinematic. Is that more clear?

Karol

I see.

I always had it the other way around: books are plot-driven, films are more like music.

But in reality both can be both ways. It's curious how tastes in stories change when you change the media.

Well, films use a lot of complex techniques to transmit emotions (not to mention music is part of film, too), literature uses less complicated techniques to tell ideas or concepts. But it can also be the other way around. In the end it depends of your taste. I don't know if I'm making sense here. :|

You do. But then we have to remember these are apples and oranges. Books express plot-oriented elements directly, that's true. But a good book can be much more in a way film cannot even dream of approaching. Besides, conjuring entire world with a couple dozens of signatures is an amazing possibility. On the other hand, film is a fascinating blend of different arts.

Karol

I'm on Karol's side with regards to how he likes to see Game of Thrones play out on tv, rather than the book. I'll read each one after watching each season for that very reason.

At the end of the day that is a huge compliment to the series makers and not at all to the detriment of Martin's achievement.

• 5 weeks later...

Some news:

Dubrovnik will replace Malta as filming destination for King's Landing and filming there starts next week for about a month.

About a third of the shooting for the second season is already finished.

Game of Thrones won the Emmy Award for best Main Title design at the creative emmy awards gala. There are four other chances

for additional emmys at the primetime awards tomorrow for 1)Best Show; 2)Best Supporting Actor: Peter Dinklage; 3)Best Writing: Episode 9; 4) Best Directing: Episode 1

And it should also be said that there has been an awful lot of casting announcements for the last weeks. I'm not gonna post them here. Just google it, you lazy cows!

Oh, yeah! I forgot I promise to Incanus to post the book cover. Is the old finnish faggot here anyway?

You young whipper snapper blatherskite! I have never been called a bundle of kindling before! Preposterous! Ridiculous! Outrageous! Harrumph! My word what manners! No respect for anything these days, you young hooligan!

That cover is pretty good in comparison with the let's just say economic Finnish covers. And most of all it actually depicts a scene or a place from the book and captures the appropriate mood very well. The artist who created the cover images for the Finnish version of GoT is just about the only big name in Finnish fantasy art, Petri Hiltunen, who is more prolific as a comic book artist.

Petri Hiltunen

I shall remember that name. That way, if I ever meet him, I'll spit in his face, and I'll say: "Incanus sends his regards!"

Is it just me or have you become more insulting and aggressive during the 1 month JWFan downtime? What happened to you my good man?

P.S. I never expressed my hate for the Finnish covers of Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire series) but said they are quite different from the international ones, perhaps graphically little less eloborate. However I said that the LotR covers are horrendous and still stand by that statement. So no cause for spitting Mr. Hiltunen in the face since he is not responsible for them.

On an unrelated note: The Mountain is out. A new one rises.

Shame. You will be missed, Horse Slayer!

Oh I thought the actor playing Gregor Clegane was just perfect for the role. A real shame indeed that he is not in the series anymore.

Here is an article I wanted to post a while back, but always forgot to do it: What We Want on the Game of Thrones Season One Blu-ray

I agree with pretty much everything that is said there. The bonus feature I would like to see the most is probably the unaired pilot. I knew it existed even before reading this article, and I would love to see how it is with different actors. Another interesting one would be deleted scenes, but apparently Benioff and Weiss said there was no footage unused: all they shot ended up in the show.

Yes the article makes a good list of what would be nice to have on the release.

I had not heard that there was an unaired pilot. Did they shoot the entire episode before it was scrapped or was there a shoot and they decided suddenly that certain people did not work for their roles and cut it short? It would certainly be interesting to see the material.

not heard that there was an unaired pilot. Did they shoot the entire episode before it was scrapped or was there a shoot and they decided suddenly that certain people did not work for their roles and cut it short? It would certainly be interesting to see the material.

From what I understand, they shot the entire episode, and when they decided to change the actors, they obviously only reshoot the scenes involving their characters (so that means all the scenes with Daenerys and Cat, which is quite a lot, if you think about it).

On an unrelated not: way to go, Dinklage!

P.S.: Hey, how do you post a video, now? I don't see the icon there one was!

First of all congratulations to Peter Dinklage for a well deserved win!

And secondly I have no idea how to embed videos since the old icon from the editing tool bar is gone. Could someone help us, please!

To embed a video you have to go to the Special BBCode menu (on the left side of the font menu) and select Media and insert the link. I tried to use the one in your post Bloodboal but it did not work so I used the non-embedded Youtube address and it worked.