SF1_freeze

GAME OF THRONES

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Does this

mean we will finally be able to see " The Long Night" battle?

HBO actually made this claim I.e. you need UHD, to " see" it!😳

On 7/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, Alexcremers said:

Watching it all again, it amazes how effortlessly Charles Dance pulls off 'authority'. 

Tywin.jpg

He always does it very well. Especially aristocratic authority. And he is particularly wonderful as Tywin Lannister and I am so glad they expanded his role compared to the books and fleshed him out. When I first read the novels I remember thinking that he would be an awesome Tywin Lannister and lo and behold he was cast in the role. Apparently somebody in the GoT team thought the same. :)

Finished rewatching Season 5 which is somewhat blemished by:

sandsnakes.jpg

On the other hand, why does no one ever mention Stephen Dillane, the man who played Stannis Baratheon?

game-of-thrones-why-stannis-baratheon-ac

Even Anthony Hopkins wouldn't have done a better job.

Stephen Dillane is really wonderful in this role (as he is in many of his other ones). He usually plays rather likeable people but he portrays Stannis so well as an obsessive and unflinchingly rigid mostly disliked man who in his need to be the king, because he thinks it is his right, tries to force his rule on everyone without any consideration if he should or without true power to back up the claim. His character is also in the end a truly pitiful man who is raised to be this candidate for the Iron Throne by a misinterpretation of a prophecy that never referred to him and by the constant enforcement of this idea by the "oracle" Melisandre who drives him to his doom in her misguided belief that costs him everything. One of the many great performances in the series.

Maybe he didn't get a lot of attention on JWFan, but around the web he was very much praised for Stannis.  He was a fan favorite character until towards the end.  Though a lot of book readers were sad they changed the character so much from how he was in the books, they still heaped a lot of praise on Dillane

On 7/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

honestly, it's GOT, not The War Of The Roses.

...which was literally the inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire:

Westeros is probably closer to medieval Britain than anything else. Geographically, it occupies a somewhat similar position off a larger contintent, although Westeros is considerably larger and is, in fact, a continent itself, more like South America. And although I've drawn on many parts of history, the War of the Roses is probably the one my story is closest to.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

...which was literally the inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire:

Kaleesi seems inspired by ALEXANDER the Great and Napoleon Bonaparte.

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

It’s based on a lot of things, but definitely the whole Stark (= York) and Lannister (= Lancaster) feud is based on the War of the Roses.

I thought the WAR OF THE ROSES was DeVito vs. Douglas?

I've nearly finish season 4 of GOT, which is shaping up to be my favourite season, so far. I cheered when Sansa hit Robin, and laughed out loud, when Lysa took a dive out of the Moon Door...and what The Mountain did to that guy's head...whoa!

Ps, Joffrey was a thoroughly nasty cunt, and he deserved to die.

52 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Mountain did to that guy's head...whoa!

On the other hand, Oberyn Martell was an amusing character and I was sad to see him 'go'. That's the thing with GOT, don't get too attached to the characters. You never know how long they will last.

63d0c2c0e7752f46d6cb35cdf5c94717.jpg

BTW, during his fight with The Mountain, I thought he had the moves of Darth Maul. Did anyone notice that? No? Watch it again then!

Yes, there were a few Maul-esque moves, in there. I really thought that he'd killed The Mountain. Oh, well.

Now, Tywin's dead (on the shitter, of all places!), and Shae (signposted), and Arya has gone fishing. I hope The Hound isn't dead.

Roll on season 5.

Well, season 5 is almost over - just two more episodes to watch.

It's not bad, but I can't help but think that, after season 4, it's all a little shapeless.

The series misses Tywin badly, as he, imo, held it all together. Charles Dance was a towering presence, and one whose passing leaves a massive hole.

It's still good fun, however, and I look forward to finishing it.

What on earth is Jon Snow and his chums going to do, against an ever-growing army of re-animated White Walkers?

On 7/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've nearly finish season 4 of GOT

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, season 5 is almost over - just two more episodes to watch.

Wow, that was fast!

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What on earth is Jon Snow and his chums going to do, against an ever-growing army of re-animated White Walkers?

oh my sweet summer lad

It's incredible:

Jon Snow enters the White Walker's domain and faces the 'White King', the apparent leader of the Walkers and the original White Walker. The duel is arguably one of the best in the show, but the fun doesn't stop there! Snow and his team of merry men narrowly escape the Walkers, and run back to the wall, knowing the undead are in pursuit and will come in numbers that make the legions of orcs in Return of the King look like piss - like billions upon billions of them. Jon manages to convince those in King's Landing that the White Walkers are coming and the whole realm gathers for an epic confrontation. From King's Landing, we learn the Night's Watch has fallen and the army of the dead is pouring into Westeros. Within days, King's Landing is surrounded but the White Walkers wait to press their attack. Three agonizing days go by and the fear of the oncoming slaughter wreaks havoc on those within the city. Then on the third day the White King appears and in his arms he's holding Bran. He launches the siege upon the city and all hell breaks loose. Then, at the last minute before all is lost, not one, not two, not three, but eighty nine huge fucking dragons appear in the sky, lead by Dany who has resurrected the Dragons of Old to rescue the main characters. The Walkers are burned to ashes, but the White King raises his ice sword and all of the dragons fall from the sky. Dany is presumed dead. Jon Snow confronts the King one last time but is killed by Bran, who's being controlled by Cersei Lannister. Cersei's laughter echoes through the city, but is short-lived as a figure emerges from the rubble and corpses. It's Daenerys! She brushes off the ash and blood and sprouts two giant dragon wings and takes to the sky...

I would go on, but alas, that would spoil too much.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've nearly finish season 4 of GOT, which is shaping up to be my favourite season, so far.

I think it's the best season of the show too (with season 3 as second best). Reason why? In part because it's a third of a book, adapted over 10 episodes. Not rushed, good character development. Good writing (some from the books, some new and added in).

Yavar

I didn't think seasons 1-3 felt rushed, or lacked in any character development.  All of seasons 1-4 was pretty consistent in pacing and tone I thought.

Seasons 5 & 6 things started to change, and by Seasons 7 & 8 the characters are no longer acting like themselves (and the pace is ridiculous)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I didn't think seasons 1-3 felt rushed, or lacked in any character development.  All of seasons 1-4 was pretty consistent in pacing and tone I thought.

Have you read the books, though? Season 1 absolutely rushes through some parts, and Season 2 *really* rushes (quite noticeably, IMO). Season 3 is more back to a Season 1 pace (because even though only two-thirds of it is adapted here, the third book is much longer). Season 4 is easily the least rushed, conveying the greatest percentage of book content in the show. And I think it's all the better for it.

Yavar

5 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Have you read the books, though?

Nope

36 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

the show is better anyway 

Some parts of the show improve on the books (like Arya being cupbearer for Tywin Lannister instead of Rose Bolton, and Brienne and The Hound meeting, etc etc...) while for other parts the books are definitely superior!

Yavar

One thing I dislike about the books; Martin really revelled in the violence. Like a literary Scorcese!

One example; Tyrian gets his nose completely cut off in the.books.😵

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm now half way through season 7, and I'm enjoying it.

You're going too fast! 

I just watched the Ian McShane episode (S6) and too be honest, it felt a bit like season filler.

43008f5b4fa72046fd489d3f8908b86aaf47f571

17 hours ago, Bilbo said:

the show is better anyway 

They were good editors of the book material. Their own writing is generally pretty awful though.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

They were good editors of the book material. Their own writing is generally pretty awful though.

I will agree for the most part. There are still parts of the last few seasons that are better than the later books and we still don’t know how much of the latter seasons will match the mythical unreleased books

Well, even outside of the outlandish plot events, the actual writing took a real turn. What used to be rich characters, became cardboard plot devices. It's why I really don't think Beinoff and Weiss are very good writers.

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

43008f5b4fa72046fd489d3f8908b86aaf47f571

It acted as a way to re-introduce The Hound (a character I started to like, when he said "Fuck the king"), and to give him renewed motivation (as if he ever needed any!).

Tbh, I was expecting a lot more swearing, from Mr.  McShane :lol:

I'm about to watch the last season 7 episode, accompanied by my good friends, Mr. Beer, and Mr. Doritos.

For the first time since I started watching it, GAME OF THRONES was predictable. As soon as Drogon was taken down, I knew, instinctively, that the last shot would be of his eyes turning blue. I was not disappointed.

I have to say this: Masie Williams is absolutely phenomenal, in this series. Apart from Charles Dance, she is easily the best actor, in the show.

It's very interesting to see people grow up, over the course of a couple of weeks, as I have. What would take eight years, has been truncated, massively. It's fascinating.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I have to say this: Masie Williams is absolutely phenomenal, in this series. Apart from Charles Dance, she is easily the best actor, in the show.

I was happy and relieved when she showed up in Doctor Who and proved that she could shine in another role as well.

31 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't know why, but I actually was scared of her in S7. The way she looked (with a great amount of deadly confidence) at Sansa Stark, or anyone else, for that matter. 

31 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It acted as a way to re-introduce The Hound

Yes! 

I suspect that fans who disliked the last two seasons were primed to pounce on any perceived flaws, and trash the whole series.

Maybe, because they deviated from the books; maybe because it didn't end the way they wanted it to.

The final episode was excellent. Great writing, acting, direction.

I followed this series religiously from s.2. It's one of the greatest achievements in tv history!

Deal with it 😊

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am a fan who disliked the last two seasons, and was not primed for anything of the sort.  I enjoyed the first 6 seasons immensely, and hoped it would continue to be just as good.  I went into every episode completely open-minded, no prejudices, just hoping I would like it.  Overall, I didn't.  There were, of course, many great moments in season 7 & 8, but they were ultimately outweighed by all the bad decisions, especially in season 8.

This, exactly. Season 7 I still liked a number of things (even though the Winterfell/Littlefinger storyline was stupid as hell, and the North of the Wall episode utterly ridiculous even though it had wonderful acting and character moments) and was still in love with the show. That Arya/Brienne fight...awesome. In fact I lasted through the so-so season 8 premiere and was rewarded with season 8 episode 2, which I know people call "fan service" but I thought was an incredible well written episode full of great character development and payoffs. Bryan Cogman for the win. Really it was the last four episodes of the entire series that were so sloppily done they just lost me. :( 

Yavar

Well for one thing it epitomized the "characters do things because the plot needs them to" approach the show had been embracing for a while, as opposed to the "things naturally happen in the plot because of the characters" approach it had been so good at before.

Yavar

27 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I suspect that fans who disliked the last two seasons were primed to pounce on any perceived flaws, and trash the whole series.

Maybe, because they deviated from the books; maybe because it didn't end the way they wanted it to.

The final episode was excellent. Great writing, acting, direction.

I followed this series religiously from s.2. It's one of the greatest achievements in tv history!

Deal with it 😊

Well, you're utterly wrong. Seasons 1-6 still represent my favorite show of all time. Seasons 7-8 aren't in the same league at all. Yes, they did still have some great scenes and amazing production values, but the pacing was ruined and the characters lost their depth.

I'm not claim8ng 8 was great- but it maintained the integrity of the show. It didn't " betray" what came BEFORE.

The claim that the producers " didn't care anymore" and just rushed to finish it, is.b.s.