GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I find Sansa an interesting character, actually. In season 2 she was actually more interesting than Jorah due to her circumstances.

I feel the writers should make Jorah disagree very strongly on something with Dany. Like a sort of moral conflict where they pick different views. Or something. SOMETHING.

Jorah is definitely a character that is doomed to inactivity with her Khaleesi but alas even when Dany starts showing some life again Jorah is demoted into a sulky and slightly apprehensive background character who murmurs misgivings to her with Barristan Selmy. Iain Glenn is seriously wasted after 1st season and I really love his performance, which is just about as spot on as can be. Alas in the novels the character largely follows the same path.

Iain Glen would be one of my picks to play the 12th Doctor.

It would be a perfect contrast to Matt Smith!

Concerning your long post, well said Steef...

The budget of the first season alone is estimated to be around 60 million dollars which was used much more efficiently than if it was shot in Hollywood. Northern Ireland gave them the Paint Hall (Main studio hall) for free and offered significant tax incentives. So the 60 million dollars would probably have been 80 million dollars if filmed in the US to get the same production values.

For season 2 the budget increased by about 10 percent and they got something extra for the Blackwater episode... I guess there was another budget increase for season 3 which would mean about 72 million dollars for season 3.

The great thing about GoT is that you see it all on screen. While the first season had great production values the second season improved them drastically and season 3 continued that. Season 3 was shot in five countries!!! (Ireland, Iceland, Croatia, Morocco, USA)

Think about that for a minute, it's crazy.

The best thing is that they always build the sets for real (like in the original LotR trilogy) or shoot in actual medieval cities where they don't need to build anything. They only use green screen when absolutely necessary. That makes the effects work so much better. Two thirds of the sets are real and often just the sky extensions (towers, etc) are added digitally. That is how most films should do it and my biggest critizism of the Hobbit trilogy.

Iain Glen would be one of my picks to play the 12th Doctor.

He already played in Doctor Who though.

The great thing about GoT is that you see it all on screen. While the first season had great production values the second season improved them drastically and season 3 continued that. Season 3 was shot in five countries!!! (Ireland, Iceland, Croatia, Morocco, USA)

Think about that for a minute, it's crazy.

What parts were shot in the USA?

Oh, btw. Is Peter Dinklage the only American actor on the show?

Jorah is an enigmatic character, a personal favourite of mine. I agree with Chaac, Sansa is getting more and more interesting and endearing as it goes on, beautifully played by that stunning young actress.

What parts were shot in the USA?

The Bear stuff was partly shot in the US (i think only 2 days). They couldn't ship the trained grizzly bear to Ireland :)

I agree he is enigmatic. But he seems to be just window dressing. I mean what has he actually done?

Be the Obi Wan to Daenerys' Luke?

I reckon Jorah will have his day in the sun before the end.

I mean, what's the real difference between him and Podric?

Podric is a sex beast.

Oh I'd forgotten about him actually. What was the purpose of his dumbass pointless subplot anyway? WTF?

They are on a very tight schedule to produce 10 hours of finished material every year. When things receive less attention like the Theon storyline from season 3 it's easy to forgive them for how much awesome stuff they deliver in that year.

I wouldn't be surprised if after Season 4, the final 4 seasons premiere later in the year than the late March / early April timeframe they've been starting at so far, to give them more time to work on the complex storylines they'll have to weave from 3 books at once.

Of course they do, it's their job.

But I know a lot of fans of the books love Book 3 the most, so Season 4 will likely indeed be awesome, especially if they bring in the best stuff from the beginnings of Books 4 and 5 along with it.

Since everybody says the book series takes a huge nose dive after the first 3 books, it's likely Seasons 5-6 will be the roughest to get through, but I have to assume the show writers will end with a very strong and satisfying Season 7, even if GRRM hasn't published his ending yet.

If they trim the fat (a lot of fat) and combine the majority of book 4 and 5 into one season they probably can avoid the "pitfall". Then they could follow with the small rest of book 4 and 5 and a good junk of book 6 for season 6.

Season 4 contains the last third of book 3 and will probably also have a small amount of material from the start of book 4 and 5 (maybe in episode 10).

And believe me when i confirm to you: Season 4 will indeed be the best yet! The amount of highlights still to come are astonishing and the last three episodes of season 4, boy they will be epic. The last several hundred pages of book 3 are so good and jam packed...GRRM will have a hard time to ever top that even with hopefully great books 6 and 7.

Book 4 is the weakest of the series. But there was a huge highlight for me in that book for a certain character arc that I believe will make for brilliant television!

Well this is the funniest thing I've seen on the internet today. Only putting it in a spoiler tag because it is tall and spoils Season 3 events, it's totally safe if you're caught up on the show

h0yk.jpg

So I know I'm late to the discussion, but I'd like to talk about the music.

First of all, the main title is absolutely amazing, I love it every time I hear it and never consider fast forwarding through it. I think it is brilliant at summing up the qualities of the show and it blends very well with the visuals. I do with they would re-record it with entirely live instruments, I don't understand AT ALL why anyone thought it was a good idea to assemble a version with synths beyond the demo stage.

Anyway, onto the actual underscore.

I never heard any music during season 1 or 2 that made me take notice in any way, apart from one time the main title theme was worked into the underscore in either late Season 1 or late season 2, I don't remember which.

Something happened since then though, it seemed Djawadi stepped up his game for season 3. I noticed the score many times, and actually found myself LIKING some of it! Also, a lot of times the final scene of an episode would transition to the end credits with the music staying steady in a cool way. So luckily Season 3's score album is on Spotify and I've listened to it a few times, and there is a lot to like! My favorite tracks are Dark Wings Dark Words, White Walkers, Mhysa, and For the Realm, plus I think one other I'm forgetting.

Anyways, I was curious if anyone had made a list of which episodes and scenes each track on the Season 3 OST goes to....

You can't click this and get a picture?

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6899/h0yk.jpg

It just fails to load, even on PC. God knows why.

Would you mind uploading it to Imgur or something?

I love this guy.

Jorah and Jon Snow were the only ones I found convincing. Jorah in particular is very accurate!

First of all, the main title is absolutely amazing, I love it every time I hear it and never consider fast forwarding through it.

I never fast forward it either, because listening to and watching that splendidly evocative intro is the perfect warm up for that world and it's always ticking plotlines. It's one of the great openers, in both titles design and music.

Not as brillant as this (I'm reposting this, since it seems it went unnoticed, which is a shame, since it's a great pic):

tumblr_mnd646i3VZ1rsj7pjo1_500.jpg

damn, that pic is really spreading like wildfire!

First of all, the main title is absolutely amazing, I love it every time I hear it and never consider fast forwarding through it.

I never fast forward it either, because listening to and watching that splendidly evocative intro is the perfect warm up for that world and it's always ticking plotlines. It's one of the great openers, in both titles design and music.

I always skip it. It gets on my nerves, the title music.

But then I do it with pretty much every series (with the exception of Treme). What I loved about Lost is that it didn't waste my time on stupid self-indulgent 2 minute intros.

Karol

One of the great?

Really?

I rate it alongside The Waltons, Twin Peaks and The Sopranos, yes.

The main theme is brilliant. As is the sweeping storytelling of the map.

Sadly we don't really like to talk about the "other music".