GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Me and Claire love spotting the new locale additions (and removals).

I think you take its intricacies for granted. That animation is extremely effective and elegant at evoking the rich sense of place Martin's universe definitely has. The best part is the end, when the stag comes into view upon a burning metal band to the last echoes of the show's signature motif. Pure pulp fantasy.

Next time you watch it pay closer attention and give it the due appreciation! It's a fine intro.

Well then watch it again. But if it doesn't gell, well that's a shame.

I have paid GREAT attention to it personally. The way the last seconds shake and shiver slightly, nobody else would notice, but such a sleight touch brings the epic to table. Perceptually inane, but I love that shit. There's an animator out there on my wave length.

Anyways, I was curious if anyone had made a list of which episodes and scenes each track on the Season 3 OST goes to....

You meant me, didn't you ;).

SEASON 3 SPOILERS INCOMING

2. "A Lannister Always Pays His Debts"

Album Suite of the Lannister Theme (Rains of Castamere) -

similar to the end credits in episode 7 and the instrumental band version played in episode 9

3. "Dracarys"

Episode 4 - Dracarys film version alternate with added album segment (1:50-2:14)

4. "I Paid The Iron Price"

Album edit of Theon's / Greyjoy Theme from episode 4 and episode 7

5. "Chaos Is A Ladder" suite of the corresponding "Chaos" melody - Parts of it from Littlefinger's speach in episode 6

6. "Dark Wings, Dark Words" Choral arrangement of the Game of Thrones theme (not appearing in the show)

7. "You Know Nothing" Jon and Ygritte Love Theme - Ending montage and end credits from episode 6

8. "Wall Of Ice" Material for the Nightswatch at Crasters Keep from episode 3 as well as music for the wall climb from episode 6

9. "Kingslayer" Jaime's bath scene from episode 5

10. "I Have To Go North" Main Theme Ostinato from the beginning of episode 9 and Stark Theme when Bran goes north in episode 10

11. "White Walkers" Ending scene and end credits from episode 8

12. "It's Always Summer Under the Sea" Song from episode 5

13. "Reek" Theon scene in Episode 10

14. "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" (Performed by The Hold Steady) End credits song from episode 3

15. "The Night Is Dark" Slightly rearranged cue from the "Stannis meets his family" scene in episode 5

16. "The Lannisters Send Their Regards" Slightly Alternate Red Wedding cue from episode 9

17. "Heir To Winterfell" Bran and Rickon's goodbye scene from episode 9

18. "Mhysa" Ending scene and end credits from episode 10

19. "For The Realm" Game of Thrones Theme guitar version (not appearing in the show)

The album was very poorly done as there is lots of good and absolutely crutial music missing:

The biggest and most painful obmissions include:

- Ending scene and end credits from episode 4 (Daenerys leaves Astapor with her army)

- The Hound and Beric Dondarrions duel at the beginning of episode 5

- Instrumental folk melody reminding of Stan's Theme from Curse of Monkey Island played at the wedding feast in episode 8 as well as on the red wedding in episode 9

- Instrumental versions of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" played at both weddings ( episode 8 and 9)

- Cue for the first appearance of the dragons in episode 1

- Sansa's Theme (?) appearing in a bigger arrangement when she enters the Sept of Baelor in episode 8 and in various of her scenes as well when Edmure meets his bride in episode 9

- Baratheon theme when Gendry and Melisandre sail past King's Landing in episode 7

- Music for Catelyn Stark's confession in episode 2

Anyways, I was curious if anyone had made a list of which episodes and scenes each track on the Season 3 OST goes to....

You meant me, didn't you ;).

Basically, yea :)

SEASON 3 SPOILERS INCOMING

[...snip...]

Thanks for the list, very helpful!

The biggest and most painful obmissions include:

- Ending scene and end credits from episode 4 (Daenerys leaves Astapor with her army)

Yea, I couldn't believe that wasn't on there!

Game of Thrones is great and I don't mind throwing worship on it. It's definitely not perfect though. The Theon storyline from Season 3 could have been done WAYYY better, or excised entirely even.

Yep, it was mostly dull and seem to go nowhere. Maybe there will be a pay off at some point in later series. I'm sure the Ironborn will have a part to play yet.

Even though I loved that Daenerys scene mentioned above, it is very convenient. Not only does she get her army, but it's an army of eunuchs, who have an iron discipline, meaning they won't kill the innocent or rape and plunder, and thus keeps the image of Kalisi as a benign, almost God like figure intact)

It bloody works though!

Re: Theon - yes, I feel the final scene with Theon's sister and father is important, and I'm sure their story will be important in the future, and Theon himself's story may be too. But his storyline during the rest of Season 3 - his torture, flaying, and eventual castration - was just not pleasant or interesting to watch, and just felt completely unnecessary. And the final scene with Ramsay Snow where he is dubbed "Reek" was basically nothing more than fan-service to the book, it doesn't do anything for non-book readers really. I think the storyline should have been structured to have much less of the torture shown, him becoming Reek maybe halfway through the season, with some scenes at the end of the season to show what that all means, to be a more involving and fleshed out storyline. Either that, or save all the Reek stuff until Season 4 where it will actually have something to do with something.

Re: Danarys and her 8,000 unsullied - Yes, it is somewhat convenient that she quickly and immediately gets this massive army that will follow the same morals as Daenerys and not be among the many "grey" characters in the series. What bothered me more was that they all went from being slaves, to being freed, to hitting the road and following Daenerys's orders in the span of like a minute. What I thought would have helped the scene dramatically was maybe even just 2 more lines of dialogue from Daenerys, something along the lines of "My goal is to re-take the Iron Throne of Westeros as its rightful heir, I want to end the tyranny of Joffrey Baratheon and free the people the world over, who wants to fight for me?". I think something like that would have helped the scene a lot.

I don't imagine the Unsullied would care or even know who Joffrey is. The point is that they will follow Kalisi everywhere.

Dialogue at that point in the story would have only been intended for the viewer, and kinda telegraphed her Quest home. (not that it isn't very obvious anyway)

I feel - and I say this with no knowledge of what happens in the future books, this is purely my speculation - anyways, I feel like the series is building up to a giant show-down between the White Walkers and Daenerys's dragons. I mean, fire seems to be the only thing that stops them, and Daenerys has three fire breathers at her disposal. So I'd think she'll return to Westeros, maybe have some battles there, then the White Walkers will come south of the wall as Winter comes, she'll save the day with her dragons and be crowned the new queen of Westeros.

It seems like more and more that Westeros will be in between a rock and a hard place. In the North, an advancing army of White Walkers and the Undead. and across the Narrow Sea, Daenerys with an army of fiercely loyal freed slaves, and 3 dragons.

DaeNerys might seem as the Salvation now, but GoT would not be GoT is if would not throw a few spanners in the works. And a lot of people we like will probably be killed.

If the world's salvation doesn't lie in Daenerys, I dunno who it lies in. There are few good people left in the world with Ned and Robb gone. Of course, maybe Joffrey will rule for another 20 years and someone who is only a child now is the ultimate ending ruler GRRM has in mind. He really could keep telling this story forever - too bad he's already 64 years old....

You might be right. But I feel at some point Daenery's "whiter then the driven snow" morals will be put to the test.

I mean making us love a character and then have that character either turn evil or die sounds very GoT to me.

She will probably fail.

I think she's a deconstruction of sorts of the MarySue-Messianic type. Kind of like Ned Stark was designed to die due to his choices.

Another theme I'm quite sure about is that the "salvation of the world" has nothing to do with what asshole is sitting on the throne.This would actually add to Daenerys doomed quest.

Joffrey is a tyrant. but is he even the real power? We have hardly seen him "reign" at all.

Tywin Lannister is probably the real power and mind behind the Iron Throne right now. But he seems to care more about his family name then anything else. (even if he hates his family)

Yea, it's unclear exactly what Joffrey (/Tywin/Cersei) have REALLY done since taking over the throne from Robert. What has changed in the world of Westeros, apart from the war itself? There was one scene where Joffrey talked about banning gay acts, and a few scenes showing the living conditions of the poor people of King's Landing have worse living conditions than before, but that's about it.

In season two the people of Kings Landing hated him and attacked him and his family. Nopw after the Battle of Blackwater and the interventions of the Tyrell family, they seem to love him. GoT doesn't focus on "the people" at all unless it's for plot purposes.

Stannis wants to rule in his stead, but he is under the influence of Mellisandre (though not without questioning her), frankly that doesn't seem very hopeful.

Daenerys wants to go to Westeros and "free" her people and become their rightful Queen. But what if they resist her?

I mean if it's a question of the most morally righteous person of the show on the Throne, it should be either The Imp, or Sam!

I was surprised when Stannis decided to head North up to the wall at the end of Season 3! The North stuff was starting to get a little repetitive after 3 seasons, it'll be interesting to see how Stannis shakes things up, up there!

It's actually the first time in the series anyone apart from the Watch seems to have taken any interest in what goes on behind the wall.

I'm surprised Stannis didn't just burn the message and went about his business.

Maybe Davos will be sent there. It might shake that plotline up a bit.

One thing I like about GoT is how slowly the "supernatural" elements are being introduced. Season one had almost none, and nothing at all in Westeros. Season two increased it a bit (Melissandre's killer baby and Jaqen the face changer).

And now season three, more Lord Of Lights stuff. Brann's dreams etc...

And all of these things are seen as weird and magic and not natural. And therefore somehow, more plausible.

I wonder if the whole Lord Of Light religion won't have something to do with Daenerys or Old Valyria. Like dragons, it involves fire.

Is the whole "old gods vs the new" thing supposed to be a parallel to Old vs New Testament (Judaism vs Christianity)? Or old Roman/Greek gods vs Judaism/Christianity?

Oh you're right, so I guess there are 3 religions in Westeros?

Maybe book readers can fill us in.

Is the whole "old gods vs the new" thing supposed to be a parallel to Old vs New Testament (Judaism vs Christianity)? Or old Roman/Greek gods vs Judaism/Christianity?

It doesn't look like it. But my knowledge of Westeros is quite limited.

The Old Gods seem related to the pre-Human Westerosi population and the first men. The new gods seem related to the Andals, who brought their language, customs and their gods to Westeros. In a way it reminds me of the contrast between the pre-Indoeuropean (like the Basque folk tales, up to the distant memories of pre-metalwork peoples) and Indoeuropean religions in Western Europe, and the Andals remind me of late Roman expansion or the Germanic migration period. And the God of Light recently come to Westeros might make one think of the monolatrist/monostheist Canaanite war God.

Stuff doesn't need to paralell our world so much necesarily, though. If anything, one only needs to look at America from the Neolithic onwards to realize that the order and nature of social, technological and cultural evolution can be completely different or go in a different order. However as Westeros reminds us of Europe in the Middle Ages, it's a bit hard not to want to see the god of Islam and Roman Christianity somewhere to complete the picture. In this case, GRRM said the concept of the Seven (New Gods) is inspired by the Christian trinity.

I mean if it's a question of the most morally righteous person of the show on the Throne, it should be either The Imp, or Sam!

What about Davos Seaworth or Jon Snow. Davos for me is one of the most sympathetic characters in the show and probably the most morally righteous person since Ned Stark.

I'm torn between on the one hand going online and reading more about the background of certain cultures, religions etc... of GoT. and on the other hand remaining as spoiler free as I can.

Yup. I want to remain as spoiler free as I can, so I am hoping some book-readers (Incanus, SF1 Freeze) will come in here and tell us their own interpretations on Westeros religion from the books, rather than me going out to other sites and reading about it there.

What about Davos Seaworth or Jon Snow. Davos for me is one of the most sympathetic characters in the show and probably the most morally righteous person since Ned Stark.

I was being sarcastic!

Imagine Sam on the Iron Throne?

I like Davos more and more. Jon is starting to lose his way. For a whole season he was basically henpecked by Igrytte, nails her, then flees for some reason (his inability to chop peoples heads of is not doing him any favours)

Go over the the Desolation Of Smaug thread then. There's it's "This movie is gonna suck, PJ has lost it"

Lol I was only taking the piss!

Well, have we been critical enough?

Yup. I want to remain as spoiler free as I can, so I am hoping some book-readers (Incanus, SF1 Freeze) will come in here and tell us their own interpretations on Westeros religion from the books, rather than me going out to other sites and reading about it there.

There is a nice segment on the blurays about the Westeros religions explaining it really well while staying spoiler free;