GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Saw the finale again. Probably one of my favorite episodes of television, like, ever. The whole experience of watching a beloved work adapted is new to me...I finally get the feeling of something one loved in a book feeling so utterly right when on screen. I loved how the last scene totally got across the weight of the last word of the book.

Saw the finale again. Probably one of my favorite episodes of television, like, ever. The whole experience of watching a beloved work adapted is new to me...I finally get the feeling of something one loved in a book feeling so utterly right when on screen. I loved how the last scene totally got across the weight of the last word of the book.

Well said. It is truly a show where they have hit the nail on the head in the adaptation so that it feels utterly right on screen and with each new episode you were more and more impressed. And the finale is an especially superb example of that.

IMHO I almost think she's too pretty for Brienne. I know they can do wonders with makeup nowadays, so probably it'll be OK.

Is it April 2012 yet?? :)

IMHO I almost think she's too pretty for Brienne. I know they can do wonders with makeup nowadays, so probably it'll be OK.

Is it April 2012 yet?? :)

Yeah they have to apply some heavy make-up on her or she has to become ugly somehow before the shoot starts. Horse faced, big-toothed lanky, tom boy.

P.S. Sorry in advance for the spoiler Quint.

P.P.S. April 2012 can't come fast enough!

'Game of Thrones' casts sorceress Melisandre and Stannis Baratheon

Yay to Carice Van Houten.

Don't know who the guy is.

Great news! Carice looks a bit like Melisandre I have imagined.

And Stephen Dillane is a great actor and I am sure will be fantastic in the role of Robert Baratheon's younger brother. Such a happy character. ;)

Hmmm not exactly how I imagined Davos to look like but not a bad choice. Slap a beard on him and he will do quite fine.

I seem to have an oddly positive attitude towards GoT casting. Not a single choice in the 1st season grated me so that it would have been distracting, not even when the actor did not quite match the physical description of the character as they owned their roles and captured the spirit of the character. I do not know if I have less of an attachment to the novel series than I have with Tolkien's but I take the Hobbit choices with much more criticism. :P

And here is Davos (no, not davros ! By the way, where the fuck is he ?)

Who, me? ;)

Melisandre looks good, Stannis... I don't know, that actor doesn't look as hard and tough as I picture Stannis to be. Davos and Maester Cressen should work pretty good, too.

Who, me? ;)

Melisandre looks good, Stannis... I don't know, that actor doesn't look as hard and tough as I picture Stannis to be. Davos and Maester Cressen should work pretty good, too.

Give Stephen Dillane a chance. He is a terrific actor and I think he can pull of even such a terse role as Stannis.

Who, me? ;)

Give Stephen Dillane a chance. He is a terrific actor and I think he can pull of even such a terse role as Stannis.

Oh, I'll give him a chance, no doubt about that. I have faith that he'll be fine, as the casting on this series has been fantastic overall. It's just a first impression from the few pictures I've seen of him that he didn't give off that tough, hard, grim vibe that I get from Stannis in the books. I'm sure he'll be great like everyone else has been.

I hope the swordplay and fencing related stuff gets actually good next season. They got lots of stuff wrong.

I disagree. Yeah, their movements felt weird most of the time, but look at the size of their sword ! That's not very cinematic, I'll give you that, but I think it's more realistic than 95% of swordfight you see in most films/TV series. You can "feel" the weight of the sword, here.

Ah yes, there were things here and there well done. But for example, swords aren't really that heavy ;)

I hope the swordplay and fencing related stuff gets actually good next season. They got lots of stuff wrong.

I disagree. Yeah, their movements felt weird most of the time, but look at the size of their sword ! That's not very cinematic, I'll give you that, but I think it's more realistic than 95% of swordfight you see in most films/TV series. You can "feel" the weight of the sword, here.

Ah yes, there were things here and there well done. But for example, swords aren't really that heavy ;)

Yeah long swords are surprisingly light. I had no trouble with the sword fighting as presented in the series. Not that I am a fencing or long sword expert. What I liked about it was that every time they actually draw swords I get tense because I know this is going to be serious business and most likely someone will end up dead. The danger inherent in these weapons and the culture, refined on the surface with knightly graces when times are good but ugly and deadly and gritty on the inside when things turn badly and you settle disputes with steel.

Yeah long swords are surprisingly light.

OK, when did you guys manipulate swords ?!

Considering they are about 2kg at the most they can't be that heavy in hands that have supposed to carry and wield them all the time like the people in GoT. I think that was Chaac's point. Hack with them through a long battle that's another thing. But the GoT duels are usually short and bloody.

I am in the part 3 of the discussion and they seem to be discussing the first season only and about their roles etc. From half way of the 3rd part it is questions from the audience. Could possibly contain spoilers.

Quint alert!!! About half way in to the 4th part Martin asks from the producers what can the fans expect from the second season. Minor spoilers and inadvertent ominous hints. Same goes for part 5.

You can watch part 4 till 5:30, too. It's safe.

Peter Dinklage looks so bored !

Yeah he looks like he would like to be someplace else quite badly. And Lena Heady was nearly snuffed out by all the love for Jon Snow. :P

Otherwise a quite usual Comic Con panel. The questions were mostly the same these people have been answering ever since the publicity tour of the series started.

Mr. Martin handled his role as the moderator very well. :)

And Lena Heady was nearly snuffed out by all the love for Jon Snow. :P

That's what happens when you play a bitchy character !

P.S.: Love the epic facepalm of the team at 2:00 in the fifth part. Way to go, Momoa !

Must be Momoa's own idea of fantasy literature. Or fantasies, personal fantasies. But good of Martin to indulge Momoa's deviations to make it happen in the series as well. :P

But hey the fans were eating out of the palm of their hands. They could say anything and get cheers for it.

Martin posted a clue on his site about another casting choice but I will spell it out for you loud and clear: OLIVER FORD DAVIES has been cast as Maester Cressen.

Here is a link to his blog entry (he confirms the actor on the third page of comments.) Not a Blog (Blog of G.R.R. Martin)

In case you did not know who Oliver Ford Davies is: Oliver Ford Davies

Great news! :)

Haven't seen him in anything but Star Wars (and Gladiatress ;) ) and he didn't have a big role in the prequels, but I'm sure he'll do just fine in A Clash Of Kings (if Incanus says it's great news, I trust him. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do nonetheless).

He is really a great old school British thespian. He was really underused in the Prequels, his character as marginal as every other in Lucas' scripts.

I watched Treme and The Wire. I can appreciate novelistic slow burn.

Karol

Good, good.

I heartily recommend this series to you. You'll be hooked after a few episodes just like Quint said.

Also watch it with subtitles so you can keep up with the names of the characters, places and history. Because the cast is large and varied. ;)