Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

This is the kind of frivolous, pointless and useless bullshit that at the end of the day makes people ask "where does all the money go?" 

"Quality acting". Ugh

It’s a comedic internet video, gkgyver. Have a sense of humor for once, maybe? Have you even seen any of his films post-Transformers?

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s a comedic internet video, gkgyver. Have a sense of humor for once, maybe? Have you even seen any of his films post-Transformers?

He's a very serious man.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I think he just lost interest halfway through production and started phoning it in. The opening titles with the Elvis song, warehouse sequence, Nuke Town and motorcycle chase were all shot in the first few weeks of principal.

The opening titles were not shot by Spielberg, it was a second unit shot.

The warehouse sequence was shot AFTER all the real jungle scenes were shot.

6 minutes ago, oierem said:

The opening titles were not shot by Spielberg, it was a second unit shot.

It might have been second unit but Spielberg would still have conceptualized and supervised every shot they were doing.

On 2/29/2020 at 1:28 PM, Koray Savas said:

"Comedy" 

It's true I'm a bit more intrigued than I was, but I bet the script just isn't up to scratch regardless of Marigold's best intentions. Plus I just think Harrison Ford is too old now to make the kind of Indiana Jones movie I wanted to see.

I guess they hired Mangold exactly because he made a movie on which an iconic hero gets older, grizzled, embittered, etc., for one last ride. 

Yeah, I know Hugh Jackman was 47-48 when he filmed Logan, but still, I think that movie played a huge part on Mangold being courted for the director's chair.

12 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Ford was clearly bored and grumpy in Crystal Skull. I was shocked by his comeback in TFA, he was great!

In The Force Awakens the idea of an old Ford works becuase he's not so quintessentially an action hero as he is as Indy, AND he's not the lead which allows him to play the part of the older mentor.

An old Indiana Jones is just a sad, miserable concept.

He was definitely better in TFA, which was weird. His Crystal Skull Indy felt more "Disney", meanwhile old Han Solo despite being kinda silly still being a smuggler with Chewie or whatever all those years later, was actually delivering lines like 80s Ford. I haven't seen it again since it came out, but I remember being surprised.

9 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

old Han Solo despite being kinda silly still being a smuggler with Chewie or whatever all those years later

Yeah, but, I’d say the core of his character was always the struggle between his “heart of gold” and his need to assert his independence. If you don’t have that, as in RotJ, he’s just kind of a worthless, sad puppydog.

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Every piece of news about Indiana Jones 5 to me reads like yet another reason the film will never happen, IMO.

It reminds me of Ghostbusters III reports back in the day and that hypothetical movie's odd will they or won't they production limbo and the eventual movie being something no one wanted. 

Indy IV had similar years of rumors and people saying it was happening and getting ready to begin filming, including Spielberg, Lucas and Ford.

Spielberg not directing is an extremely bad sign.

I have significant interest in this movie if and only if JW scores it. 

Kinda hilarious how it's been pushed back like a gazillion times, though. Wasn't it originally supposed to come out last summer? 

On 3/10/2020 at 5:59 AM, Chen G. said:

In The Force Awakens the idea of an old Ford works becuase he's not so quintessentially an action hero as he is as Indy, AND he's not the lead which allows him to play the part of the older mentor.

An old Indiana Jones is just a sad, miserable concept.

It half works. He's essentially the same Han, still smuggling across the galaxy with Chewie, still wearing the same shit.

Of this thing happens it needs to be a complete reboot altogether. No Spielberg, can’t see Williams doing it at this stage, and Ford was too old in 2008.

Reboot it or forget about it.