Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, The Big Man said:

They should make one where he goes to South America.

Back to where it all started, eh?

They can excavate the spot where the UFO took off.

1 hour ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Back to where it all started, eh?

They can excavate the spot where the UFO took off.

The UFO and the assumption that aliens had anything to do with the technology in early Central and Southern American civilizations was a true spit in the face to actual archaeology.

Aliens could've been used much better.

21 hours ago, Bellosh said:

The UFO and the assumption that aliens had anything to do with the technology in early Central and Southern American civilizations was a true spit in the face to actual archaeology.

Yes.

21 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Aliens could've been used much better.

By keeping them in Star Wars, for example. ;)

Also, potential right here for the best game EVER:

Gordy Haab for the music again, I suppose?

Hope he gets to use more of the themes this time...

21 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Gordy Haab for the music again, I suppose?

I really hope we get someone better. The results of comparing his Staff of Kings with Bajakian's Emperor's Tomb are not favourable to say the least.

44 minutes ago, Holko said:

I really hope we get someone better. The results of comparing his Staff of Kings with Bajakian's Emperor's Tomb are not favourable to say the least.

Apparently it was his first Lucasfilm related game score, at least going by Wikipedia.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:40 PM, Holko said:

Have to say, I agree.

The music to Emperor's Tomb is REALLY good.

And makes nice use of the Raiders March in new ways too.

Beats anything I've heard from Haab so far.

So if anyone has any recommendations on his best few tracks, please do say.

Does Clint Bajakian still write music?

I'd completely support his return.

Alternatively, what has Mark Griskey been up to lately?

His two Force Unleashed scores are some of the better Star Wars music outside the films too.

With nice inventive uses of the Imperial March and Force themes.

Otherwise, just get Nami Melumad on the job.

I reckon her Medal of Honor makes for a pretty darn good showcase of how it should be done.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Moved into games, I see. I'm totally out of the loop in terms of most post-2000 games, but I still consider INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS one of the greatest games ever made, and a striking score to boot. I have this re-recording, which beefs up the MIDI files somewhat (although still synthetic):

artworks-000013338217-pn6his-t500x500.jp

Agreed. It's on my personal top 5 all time graphic adventures and the score is indeed fantastic. I just wish this new game was also a graphic adventure, but that'd be a huge surprise in this day and age

17 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Semi-related: Anyone have a decent “best of” playlist for the Emperors Tomb soundtrack? Like a good mix of the action with a handful of ambient cues mixed in? 

I have some sort of fan-made soundtrack album.

Might be a bit too long to count asas 'best of' playlist though.

Was actually listening to it yesterday.

I like rather a lot of it.

Mei Ying's theme is quite beautiful.

The Nazi ones are properly menacing (in campy Indy fashion).

There are some exotic touches for the Middle-East and Asian sections of the game.

And I reckon basically all of the action tracks are quite a lot of fun.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

Moved into games, I see. I'm totally out of the loop in terms of most post-2000 games, but I still consider INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS one of the greatest games ever made, and a striking score to boot. I have this re-recording, which beefs up the MIDI files somewhat (although still synthetic):

Is a version with only a handful of tracks?

That's the one I have on my computer.

I wonder if there's more available though by now.

16 hours ago, Romão said:

Agreed. It's on my personal top 5 all time graphic adventures and the score is indeed fantastic. I just wish this new game was also a graphic adventure, but that'd be a huge surprise in this day and age

I imagine you could aim a point-and-click adventure at mobile audiences.

In this day and age it'd be a bit weird for PC or console or something.

But a phone could run it; and it could become one of the best puzzle games out there.

4 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Is a version with only a handful of tracks?

That's the one I have on my computer.

I wonder if there's more available though by now.

To answer my own question; yes, that is the same version.

• 1 month later...

If Mangold is ensuring the film's poster is handled by the rightful artist, there's no way he isn't asking Williams to score the film. Has anyone just asked him on Twitter? 

I think it all boils down to Williams agreeing to do it, and frankly I don't see why he wouldn't. Unless TROS just totally exhausted all interest he had in doing these sorts of movies. 

I'm not sure Khan will do the editing this time though.

Oh yes, I've never doubted that they would want anyone other than JW as their first choice.  I'm just highly skeptical that JW would take on a big action film now.  I'd be happy to be surprised, obviously.  

Neither Abrams used Giacchino on his SW movies nor did Rian Johnson used Nathan Johnson, so I see no reason for Mangold using his usual collaborator (Marco Beltrami) - unless Williams doesn't want it.

But I don't think he would refuse, he always liked the Indy character, and its an opportunity to provide the LA musicians with another gig.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He could finally write a theme for Indy.

You don't consider the March of the Resistance a theme for Indy?  

How's the music for the LEGO Indy thingie? Is that RCP-like? I don't know, I don't play videogames, and have no interest in LEGO.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

How's the music for the LEGO Indy thingie? Is that RCP-like? I don't know, I don't play videogames, and have no interest in LEGO.

If you're talking about the old Lego games from back in time, I'm pretty sure they used a lot of Young Indiana Jones stuff and material from the films. Also might have some of Clint's stuff thrown in as well from Emperor's Tomb.

Speaking of, I need to add Clint's Emperor's Tomb and Haab's Staff of Kings to my list of video game soundtracks that I think deserve an official release along with KOTOR II and The Force Unleashed games.

Back in time is relative. I think we're talking 2008, according to Wikipedia. They were composed by a guy called David Whittaker (not to be confused with British film composer David Whitaker - with one T - that was active in the 60s). But I have no idea what the music was like.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Back in time is relative. I think we're talking 2008, according to Wikipedia. They were composed by a guy called David Whittaker (not to be confused with British film composer David Whitaker - with one T - that was active in the 60s). But I have no idea what the music was like.

What I'm saying is I don't think David Whitaker composed original music as much as he was in charge of arranging already existing music from different sources into the game--I could be vastly mistaken but I'm not sure if he has a Composer credit or just a sort of Sound Design credit.

Edit: unless I am misunderstanding something completely, that is.

9 minutes ago, TheAvengerButton said:

If you're talking about the old Lego games from back in time, I'm pretty sure they used a lot of Young Indiana Jones stuff and material from the films. Also might have some of Clint's stuff thrown in as well from Emperor's Tomb.

As far as I can remember it was mostly bits from the actual scores for the first one. The second one had some other stuff that I didn't recognise at the time. No Emperor's Tomb.

Thanks for the info! So no original score for that, then, and certainly no RCP sound.

Beyond that, I can't think of any possible situations. Obviously, the old INDY PC games (THE LAST CRUSADE and THE FATE OF ATLANTIS), which I played religiously back in the 90s, have MIDI approximations of the original score or general sound, but that doesn't count.