Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

For those with any interest--and I'm sure the great lot of you are probably already aware--there exists four officially released soundtrack albums featuring a selection of pieces from the Young Indiana Jones series.

Young Indiana Jones Amazon

They aren't too hard to acquire used copies of these on Ebay if you're willing to shell out hard cash (or you can find them on Youtube, of course if you aren't clamboring for high quality).

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I'm aware! I've owned all of them on CD since the 90s! Must-haves, IMO. And I wouldn't be opposed to more volumes, if they're conceived the same way.

Indeed. As he's proven in many other scores as well. I like Rosenthal's stuff too, but that's more "transparent" and thin somehow, compared to the boisterous stuff of McNeely.

38 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Man I miss playing those Lego Indy games, so fun!

I tried reinstalling 1 early this year, but a lot of these damn LEGO games (surprisingly not the old ones, SW Complete Saga runs just fine) simply throw an error and refuse to start if your screen doesn't have a very standard refresh rate, like my 48hz laptop screen. :crymore:

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh yes, I've never doubted that they would want anyone other than JW as their first choice.  I'm just highly skeptical that JW would take on a big action film now.  I'd be happy to be surprised, obviously.  

He'll finally have somewhere to use all his discarded ideas from the sequel trilogy.

9 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

FB_IMG_1615601874188.jpg

Drew Struzan shared this Last Crusade art today

This poster aptly illustrates why Tom Selleck & his hairy chest would have been all wrong for Indiana Jones.

Looks like we'll finally be getting the Indy trilogy (plus some other film that came after Last Crusade) in 4K this June. Just in time for the Raiders (gulp) 40th anniversary.

Let merriment be made, and distribution of the bread and circuses commence.

Anyone else remember watching What Lies Beneath in 2000 and seeing Ford turning old for the first time? It was like this gutting minor seminal moment for me. 

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

Anyone else remember watching What Lies Beneath in 2000 and seeing Ford turning old for the first time? It was like this gutting minor seminal moment for me. 

Wasn't his name Norman and he was supposed to be a scientist or something? Just so unbelievable. 

https://www.screendaily.com/news/qumra-2021-phedon-papamichael-looks-forward-to-shooting-indiana-jones-5-at-the-uks-pinewood-studios/5158100.article

Mangold’s director of photography “excited to start shooting at pinewood...”

Take it for what it’s worth. Spielberg was also quoted as “excited to start shooting at pinewood” like,what, a year ago? And that fell through...:/ 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Spielberg is not directing Indy 5, he's only exec producing. James Mangold is the attached director.

Okay. 

Well, I can't say I'm very excited about this project, but the only consolation is, Indy V can't possibly be worse than Indy IV... That's just not feasible. 

Does this mean filming has begun?  They were supposed to start this spring, right?  It's spring!

4 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Does this mean filming has begun?  They were supposed to start this spring, right?  It's spring!

Yes, the last official word was that filming will begin in April 2021.  Today's announcement does not mention that filming has begun yet, so I would assume it has not.

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe Phoebe Waller Bridge will be Indy's long lost granddaughter, and she'll do most of the action scenes in the movie?

I'd take that over Harrison and Shia.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

the only consolation is, Indy V can't possibly be worse than Indy IV... That's just not feasible. 

Can it not?

What are the essential issues of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? I mean, there are the superficial ones like the look of the film and some of the action setpieces, but at its core its issue is twofold:

1. I really don't need to know what became of Indy after he rode into the sunset in The Last Crusade. Its nicer to have his future adventures live-on in one's imagination. It certainly beats him being a rather pathetic old man, which leads me to the second point...

2. Harrison Ford was too old to play a convincing action hero. This is already an issue in itself, but it also engendered a second issue which is that most of the action beats had to either plotted around an old man, or delegated to other characters: enter the likes of Mutt.

Both of these issues are inevitably going to be present in this film; with the second problem only becoming more pronounced.

Not. Watching. It.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

What are the essential issues of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

That it's shite.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Harrison Ford was too old to play a convincing action hero.

Enter deepfake.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not exactly, he bulked up for Zero Dark Thirty first

He did just get a minor role in that one, so I wouldn't consider his performance to be really representative of his career

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That it's shite

Always in the excess. Let's just say that it's not as good as the three previous (mostly because of Mutt IMO)