Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Women can’t eat steak and eggs?

My wife also had steak and eggs this morning. 

19 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Why would it matter to them, like what difference does it make?

I'm actually not sure if they have something against 35mm film or if it's allowed or not. But when it comes to digital film, I guess they require high standard 4K movies because they want good quality to avoid complaints from members.  Also, without any form of regulation, a director might decide to put a large chunk of the production budget into his own pocket and shoot his movie on an iPhone. Other than that, they can do whatever they want without any meddling from above (according to Snyder, Scorsese, etc ... about working for Netflix). 

23 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Why would it matter to them, like what difference does it make?

I believe its easier to compress digital footage for streaming than scanned film footage.

The whole post-production pipeline is much more flexible when the source is digital. If you want to make it look like film, you can do so; the opposite isn't necessarily easy to do well.

I like 35mm in still photography. It's more challenging and fun, but in some ways it's easier to use because it's more forgiving than digital because if you simply meter properly for the shadows, your resulting image will likely yield not only good shadow detail, but eye-popping information in the fully lit areas. Whereas in digital, you find yourself constantly taking test shots at different apertures, shutter speeds and ISOs just to get the right balance, which is a time consuming pain in the arse and could lead to you missing good shots. Yet again, my phone just does it all automatically, but it's not as fun.

11 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Whereas in digital, you find yourself constantly taking test shots at different apertures, shutter speeds and ISOs just to get the right balance, which is a time consuming pain in the arse and could lead to you missing good shots. 

I never do that. Because it's digital you can see the end result before you push the trigger button. I don't think I could ever go back to analog.

8 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I never do that. Because it's digital you can see the end result before you push the trigger button. I don't think I could ever go back to analog.

It might be because whenever I use my 6D, I don't use the LCD screen, instead I still opt for the traditional viewfinder.

17 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Not sure Disney allows film anymore. The mouse is on a mission to make Kodak and Fuji defunct companies.

The big five studios (including Disney) reupped their deals with Kodak last year to buy more 35mm stock. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/studios-up-kodak-deals-keep-celluloid-film-alive-1274709

[Harrison] Ford received applause as he said that Mangold's film [Ford v Ferrari] was a compelling story that "deserved to be seen in a decent movie theater. … I also deserved to make a shitload of money." He quipped that it was "the kind of movie they made 40 years ago. I know because I was there."

Accepting the award, Mangold emphasized the importance of collaboration in filmmaking, saying that on his movies, "I discourage everyone from staying in their lane. I hate the idea of 'turf.' All the elements of a good film are connected and require these elements to work together."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/cinema-audio-society-award-winners-2020-1270562

Anyone else simply thinks that the film is going to be fine?

32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Mangold is a quality director. I have no concerns about this film under his stewardship, personally.

All this whining about Indy's age, yet it was the least of KOCS's problems.

it’s not so much he’s a good director, it’s how good the story is they’re trying to tell. 

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Love to prove that, wouldn't you, get your name into the National Geographic.

"Hehehehe... Ahhaha hahahahahaha!!! Oh, man."

Seriously, though. Production on Indy V begins this late spring / early summer. I hope that not only Karen Allen returns as Marion, given that Indy and Marion were married at the end of the last film, but John Rhys-Davies returns as Sallah. I remember that in a recent interview he expressed great interest in reprising the role. I hope both of them are announced as part of the cast as time goes by. 

21 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm guessing it'll be perfectly watchable and inoffensive and will somehow create a renaissance of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull appreciation online. 

The true silver lining of a mediocre Indy V (excluding the score of course).

34 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm guessing it'll be perfectly watchable and inoffensive and will somehow create a renaissance of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull appreciation online. 

I hope not. Indy V will need to be horrible to make Crystal Skull look good in comparison.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

They don't have a story they want to tell, they just have an Indy 5 they want to make. Standard Hollywood practice.

30 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

.... Indy V will need to be horrible to make Crystal Skull look good in comparison.

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I bet this film never happens. 

Screenshot_2021-03-13-15-31-54.png

28 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

All I'm saying is James Mangold is a professional who is probably gonna be working his ass off to get this thing into a 7/10 workable action romp that will get more hate and overall attention than it deserves. And Harrison Ford will probably be pretty good in it and the music will predictably be world class and generally taken for granted except by the nerdiest 10 year olds who will grow up enchanted by it because there's something special they hear that they can't define yet.

Best case.  The music may be criticized as too old-fashioned.  Incidentally, based on Indy's age, would this movie be in the 60s or 70s?  Maybe Williams can reference Jaws or something.  

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Ya know, there's always the possibility that the story is told in flashback with a young actor playing INDY for the majority of the film.

Maybe that guy from SOLO.?

NAH!!!!#

Maybe the old Indy, played by Ford, will be narrating the story of the movie, and then young Indy (which can be either a lookalike actor or a deepfake) will appear in the flashbacks? It'd be like the 2013 Lone Ranger, for instance.

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

Mangold is a quality director. I have no concerns about this film under his stewardship, personally.

All this whining about Indy's age, yet it was the least of KOCS's problems.

At the same time, that was 13 years ago. Ford wasn't touching 80 at that time 🤷‍♂️

I guess it depends how they plan to address it then. I don't really have an issue if his role focuses mainly on the Professor/Teacher stuff (it was always fun seeing that side of Indy in the earlier films).

He can always ride a horse or drive a car/plane/whatever in the action sequences. I'm more concerned about whether they'll return to the series' roots and ditch the bad CGI, the over-reliance on soundstages, lack of overseas/exotic locations, poorly structured plotting, non-existent cast chemistry, cringe-worthy attempts at humour, non-Biblical non-religious artifacts, etc.

I'll be gutted if they repeat the mistakes of KOCS and film the whole thing at Pinewood or around the UK, but I'm afraid COVID might have forced their hand. Tunisia, Sri Lanka, Jordan, Italy, the series was always at its best when it relied on practical locations.

They can always shoot in Australia or New Zealand, since the pandemic is already under control on these countries. I believe some locations at Southeast Asia are Covid-free areas as well.

So yeah, there's a lot of options of exotic locations for them to use.

George_hall_indy.jpg

Ford could have been quite good in KOTCS as we saw in that Di$ney SW movie, but it was such a disaster overall and his performance was pretty lame. Lots of terrible ADR where he sounded unenthused and lackluster. Just not Indy. Not Ford, really.

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

They can always shoot in Australia or New Zealand, since the pandemic is already under control on these countries. I believe some locations at Southeast Asia are Covid-free areas as well.

So yeah, there's a lot of options of exotic locations for them to use.

Half of Hollywood is in Australia shooting movies right now, so the secret's definitely out. 

Would love to see a teaser in NZ or Australia, plenty of amazing locations they could visit (and perfectly COVID-safe to film large crowds with lots of extras). As if a teaser with Indy in the Australian Outback doesn't write itself: snakes, kangaroos, crocodiles, it's perfect! 

Or some temples throughout SE Asia, that would work great. Cambodia springs to mind (although not sure how the timeframe with the Vietnam War might create story issues, unless that actually figures into the plot). 

Every Indy teaser revolves around a fictional artifact (I guess the ashes in TOD are inspired by actual history), I'm sure they could come up with something neat.