Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

24 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

what they made him do (jungle vines and sword fight) was kinda cringe at time

Mutt swinging in the vines with those horrible CGI monkeys was just atrocious. Can't believe a filmmaker like Spielberg kept that scene in the final cut. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw

I.just took a peek to see what FSM is saying about INDY.

Some nut job is ranting about transgender characters being in it...( Tin Man in disguise?😅)

Nice to see the board there has settled into an era of comity and intellectual rigor since I left. 😎

•  
14 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

It's shit

Better than DOOM, at least.

21 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Btw

I.just took a peek to see what FSM is saying about INDY.

Some nut job is ranting about transgender characters being in it...( Tin Man in disguise?😅)

Nice to see the board there has settled into an era of comity and intellectual rigor since I left. 😎

FSM is garbage.  I'm surprised that the few reasonable posters there haven't left already.  They could have so much better

On 4/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, Edmilson said:

Mutt swinging in the vines with those horrible CGI monkeys was just atrocious. Can't believe a filmmaker like Spielberg kept that scene in the final cut. 

this foreshadowing in Raiders though.....:00-:07.  Maybe thats why they made him swing with the monkeys :lol:

On 4/16/2021 at 7:14 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

FSM is garbage.  I'm surprised that the few reasonable posters there haven't left already.  They could have so much better

I tried to be their Moses

but none would follow.😞

On 4/17/2021 at 12:57 AM, Bellosh said:

Hot take:

I'd welcome Shia LaBeouf to reprise his role.  Hopefully ditching 'Mutt' (which I've never liked) and just go with his name, Henry.

Shia's done some good work since 2008, and has proved himself as a decent actor.

LOL. I'd be surprised if the character is even mentioned by name. That bridge is burned, sunk into the river, buried by a landslide and blocked off with police tape marked "Amblin". There is more chance of me being in Indy 5 than Shia LeBeouf.

Exactly. Shia burned his bridges hard after Spielberg bent over backwards gifting him a dream start to a Hollywood career. There's way too much baggage attached to him as an actor, outright disdain at the character he played and the movie he appeared in (not to mention the botched attempt at "passing the baton" from Indy to Mutt... yikes!) 

I genuinely hope Ford is the only actor from KOCS who returns. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Shia burned his bridges hard after Spielberg bent over backwards gifting him a dream start to a Hollywood career

Transformers wasn't close to the start of LeBeouf's acting career.  He had already been a TV star through the Disney channel show Even Stevens and been in a lot of other shows and movies before being cast in that

Though it was a chance to crossover into big blockbuster appeal instead of being seen as only a child actor I suppose.

I am curious to see that Honey Boy movie to see what it says about this stuff

It's not like LaBeouf came out of nowhere but Spielberg definitely had that run there of trying to elevate him starting with Disturbia. People in the industry kept trying to compare him to Tom Hanks but he never wore it well, he's obviously more comfortable with his weirder persona now. It didn't take long for his indie career and personal antics to overshadow his Hollywood roles. I'm not sure Transformers or Indiana Jones are even in the top 5 things people associate him with anymore, he's become more of a crazy public figure than a movie star. His blockbuster roles just look like another one of his weird projects in the rearview mirror.

Didn't he get "cancelled" again recently? I mean idk how many times it's been now so he's bound to come back again, self-destruction is his whole brand, but the timing is probably off for him even if he wanted to do Indy 5, which he doesn't. 

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Though it was a chance to crossover into big blockbuster appeal instead of being seen as only a child actor I suppose.

Which is the point I was making. Spielberg was clearly invested in shepherding his leap from TV actor to film start, with one leading role after another in Spielberg properties (Disturbia, Transformers 1-3, KOCS, Eagle Eye). They were desperately trying to make him the next "thing" and Spielberg was instrumental in that campaign.

Shia just burned his bridges years later when he said publicly what everyone in Hollywood already knew.

Frankly his talents are wasted in the studio system anyway; he's producing much more interesting work in his smaller films.

20 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Body double or cgi, according to the.director.

The fucking is CGI, the nudity is real. So he did show his dick. He's actually not averse to nudity.

(And there are rumors that some actors did fuck for real but they went with the CGI story for the whole thing to protect reputations. Wouldn't surprise me if he was one of them.)

PS: Also, Nymphomaniac is a masterpiece.

Another Germanic / Nordic actor, and this time one especially known for playing Nazis?

Lieutenant Hans von Witzland in Stalingrad (1993),

Hauptmann Wilm Hosenfeld in The Pianist (2002), 

Hermann Fegelein in Downfall (2004),

Major Otto Remer in Valkyrie (2008),

Hauptmann Peter Kahn in Stalingrad (2013)

Baron Wolfgang von Strucker in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

image.png

Please not Indiana Jones fighting the Nazis again. It will show his outdatedness more than 80 years of age.

Ah, Soft Reboots!

Perhaps this movie will take place in South America and be about Nazi fugitives.  Maybe Nazi fugitives going after some artifact.  Then again, Crystal Skull did South America, so probably not.

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Perhaps this movie will take place in South America and be about Nazi fugitives.  Maybe Nazi fugitives going after some artifact.  Then again, Crystal Skull did South America, so probably not.

I think that's exactly what the Darabont script was. Except, in his version, the Crystal Skull was being sought to resurrect Hitler from the dead (that was one of its powers). 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I think that's exactly what the Darabont script was. Except, in his version, the Crystal Skull was being sought to resurrect Hitler from the dead (that was one of its powers). 

Man that could've been cool.  Why was the Darabont script scrapped?

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Man that could've been cool.  Why was the Darabont script scrapped?

Because George didn't like it. Spielberg and Ford loved it. Spielberg said it was the best script he'd read since Raiders.

It also had no son/Mutt character.

Frank Darabont was hired to write in July 2002. He turned in drafts in May and November 2003. Lucas had issues with it, and he began rewriting it (titling it Phantom City of the Gods).

The first version of the story was rejected for two main reasons: the introduction of a thirteen year-old daughter of Indy and Marion as one of the main characters, and the use of Nazis escaped to South America as main villains seeking revenge on Jones. However, the daughter idea was particularly disliked by Spielberg, who he felt to be too much like the character of Kelly Malcolm in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. For this reason, Spielberg petitioned Darabont to write out the character.

In the case of the villains, Lucas and Spielberg decided the villains should be Soviet agents this time. Spielberg felt that he could not satirize the Nazis again as the antagonists after making what he felt were important personal projects. Harrison Ford agreed that they "plain wore the Nazis out."

Spielberg seems to hate the Kelly Malcolm character, or the actress. He never even mentioned her in TLW documentary and she didn't appear.

By the way, I'm not a fan of that story either.