Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

The right way to watch any series (movie or TV) is release order, IMO.  Later movies are referential to earlier releases intentionally or un-, regardless of chronology. 

YES

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

The right way to watch any series (movie or TV) is release order, IMO.  Later movies are referential to earlier releases intentionally or un-, regardless of chronology. 

Absolutely agreed - unless for series you don't just mean separate series made at different times and set before or after each other (TOS, TNG, Enterprise, whatever), but also separate episodes that were produced in some order in a set time window then aired out of order, creating unintended continuity hitches (TOS second pilot airing as s1e3, crew changing around back and forth in airing order, whatever).

Yea, he looked and sounded rough at the Oscars last night.  Gave me no confidence he was the right choice for lead actor in a new Indiana Jones film about to shoot

No one loves mr angry pointy finger more than I do, but I don't think he'd even be suitable enough anymore to provide Indy's voiceover for an animated feature or a deep-faked "younger" version of himself. He sounds every bit the 90 year old these days. 

I'm sure it's just unflattering lighting too... he looked fine a year ago at the COTW premiere. 

image.png

Well, no getting around it for Mangold. Might as well embrace the age factor. If Eastwood can play a badass in his 70s and 80s, no reason Ford can't. 

Yea, but you're looking at pictures of him online.

I watched him walk out and speak live.

I'm sure someone's made this point already, but listening to the new Matessino interview where they talk about Ford's age made me realize that Ford is just about 20 years older now than Sean Connery was when they filmed Last Crusade.  Man.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sean Connery was only born 12 years before Harrison Ford

Right, as much as emphasizing how old Ford is for doing a movie of this kind, it also brings home to me how it's kind of interesting that Connery was willing to play much older at the time.  I feel like an actor of his popularity at the same age nowadays wouldn't be so willing to.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Connery was willing to play much older at the time

Connery had been playing (or had considered/was asked to play) older than his years more than once.

32 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

He's already older than Williams was when he scored Crystal Skull.

Is he actually? God that's depressing if so. 

Gandalf is a wizard though.  We expect him to be old and to be able to fight a Balrog.

Can you imagine a 60+ year old (the character not Ford) cutting a rope bridge and fighting Mola Ram?

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

But is he older than Ian McKellen when he played Gandalf? I mean, Gandalf has a few action/physical scenes in the trilogy.

Harrison Ford is only 3 years younger than McKellen

Ian McKellen was 60, then 61 when LOTR was filmed from October 99 to December 2000

Harrison Ford was 64, then 65 when Indiana Jones 4 was filmed in the summer of 2007 (though he was playing a 58 year old Indy)

Ian McKellen was 72, then 73, then 74 as The Hobbit was filmed from March 2011 to July 2012

John Williams was 76 when the score to Crystal Skull was recorded in 2008. 

Harrison Ford will be 78 and turn 79 while filming Indiana Jones 5 this summer

John Williams will be 90 when Indiana Jones 5's score is recorded in 2022.

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Harrison Ford is only 3 years younger than McKellen

That is actually a real mindfuck

I know you are a Blank Check listener, it's like how Griffin always mentions Paul Giamatti and Vin Diesel are the same age.

As someone who has been listening since before they were called Blank Check, when it was a Star Wars podcast, I’m only happy about how crazy popular their show has gotten

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He's already older than Williams was when he scored Crystal Skull.

"What are you, like, 80?"
image.png

4 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Ford looked good/capable in Blade Runner 2049

But damn that would still be 5 years from then.

I keep doing the same thing! I'll think of Ford's "recent" performances in TFA and BR2049 as justification for how he could still pull off Indy V and forget that those films have been out for years now. :unsure:

I just can't wrap my head around a character who will most likely be over the age of 60 (again, Indy...not Ford----Indy's 58 in KOTCS) and then Ford who WILL be 80 next July doing the action segments that made the original 3 so good.

I just can't wrap my head around it.  Does Indy really take a backseat for most of the action in this film to make it believable?!

7 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I just can't wrap my head around it.  Does Indy really take a backseat for most of the action in this film to make it believable?!

Unless the filmmakers are looking to kill him (Ford or Indy), sadly yes. 

Does anyone have any examples of a character that's at least of the age 60, and the ACTOR is nearly 80 doing believable action scenes (without digital de-aging) where the audience believes it?

I'm honestly curious.

6 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Does anyone have any examples of a character that's at least of the age 60, and the ACTOR is nearly 80 doing believable action scenes (without digital de-aging) where the audience believes it?

I'm honestly curious.

Arnold Schwarzenegger?