Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

With Disney behind it all, we can expect the watch that Belloq has shown Indy in Raiders to become a time machine that will rejuvenate dr. Jones :lol:

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

With Disney behind it all, we can expect the watch that Belloq has shown Indy in Raiders to become a time machine that will rejuvenate dr. Jones :lol:

I know you were joking but holy shit that scene in Raiders is the reason why it's leaps and bounds better than the other ones.  The quick, witty and dark dialogue, the atmosphere, and the drive of both characters.

Maybe Mangold can bring this type of scene back, but it's Disney...

43 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

😂 Even better! 👍

You know who else exploded? The Emperor. On the Death Star. Did he stay dead?

Connect the dots people.

Donovan was essentially Snoke.  I like where your head's at.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh of course, it should definitely be a new character. Enough of the old characters being shoehorned in, time for something new.

So long as it's not horrible shite like Mac :lol:

The only problem with a new character that has an established relation with Indy is that they'll shoehorn it in the dialogue, like they did in the prequels or KOTCS. Like that elevator scene on AOTC :lol:

Mac's introduction was fine.

His triple agent storyline was not.

Too many characters to care about by the time we learn that.

Waste of a character and an actor.  The idea of Indy doing WW2 missions with him was terrific, they really fumbled that.

I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do.

In all honesty, I’m 100% certain there won’t be aliens in this one. Buuut... Indy has always worked best in terrestrial adventures;) I could see the rogue scientist using the NASA tech to create some doomsday weapon for the nazis or whatever. Just PLEEASE don’t put Indy in Space.

We already have “Space Cowboys” lol.

10 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

In all honesty, I’m 100% certain there won’t be aliens in this one. Buuut... Indy has always worked best in terrestrial adventures;) I could see the rogue scientist using the NASA tech to create some doomsday weapon for the nazis or whatever. Just PLEEASE don’t put Indy in Space.

We already have “Space Cowboys” lol.

They should have a space sequence like in Life of Brian.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

I keep doing the same thing! I'll think of Ford's "recent" performances in TFA and BR2049 as justification for how he could still pull off Indy V and forget that those films have been out for years now. :unsure:

But you forget Ford was also in The Rise of Skywalker, and looked/felt the same as he did in The Force Awakens. The movie had a TON of problems and I understand people blocking it from their memory and all, but I actually thought the scene between Han Solo and Kylo Ren was great, one of the best parts of the film and it was wonderful to see Ford in the role one more time (and giving a very strong performance, frankly). Compare that to JJ Abrams bringing back Leonard Nimoy as Spock one more time for a single scene in Star Trek Into Darkness (god I hate that movie and that scene SUCKED), and the Harrison Ford appearance in TRoS seems like even more of a miracle.

Yavar

If the rumour is accurate, I'm guessing it will be along these lines: the bad guy will be chasing some secret artifact they think can help NASA win the space race, but it turns out he wants it for some other nefarious purpose (Nazi related). Indy is called in to help find the ***insert McGuffin here*** and stop the Russians from winning the space race.

Is there any basis in history for such a plot? Did NASA or the US government pursue anything out of the ordinary during the 60s, in their efforts to beat the Russians to the moon?

And why do I get the feeling there will be some type of gag with Sputnik?

The potential for a retro visual aesthetic is alluring here, thinking back on those older Bond films (which the early Indy films certainly paid homage to, especially with interior sets).

On 5/4/2021 at 11:06 AM, Bellosh said:

This might be a decent example.  No digital de-aging?  Also, I'm not too familiar with The League of Extraordinary Gentleman...are they comic book characters with super abilities?  If so, that kinda isn't what I meant.

Digital de-aging really didn't exist in 2003 when the film was made. That was Connery in an Indiana Jones-like role, in his mid 70s, and believable.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:17 AM, Goldfinger said:

I think people overestimate what people are willing to suspend their disbelief for. Yes, Ford is nearly 80 but the most popular films currently include talking trees, purple Spacemen bent on world destruction, and people with other superhuman powers.  If the script is good and the film is well done, people won't pick on Ford for his age.  If the film is crap like Crystal Skull was, well, then we'll get the same type of response.

Exactly this! Well said. Let's be at least cautiously optimistic until we see the actual film, okay? Mangold has done a ton of fine work.

Yavar

On 5/4/2021 at 6:06 PM, Bellosh said:

...also I'm not too familiar with The League of Extraordinary Gentleman...are they comic book characters with super abilities?

LXG is a deeply flawed, but very entertaining, film. It's worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...