Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

The Mutt thing didn't 'land', so this time ... Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character turns out to be a DAUGHTER Indy knew nothing about. 

Disney is proud to present ... The Adventures Of Diana Jones!  

Heh ... me earlier in the thread, kidding about PWB's character 'taking over'. 

• 4 weeks later...

From that article:

"James Mangold’s still untitled Indiana Jones movie, which features the return of Harrison Ford in the title role, moves back 11 months. The fifth movie in the series now will open on June 30, 2023"

WOW

New date for the movie's opening: June 30, 2023.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1198085-indiana-jones-5-delay-pushes-sequel-back-a-year

Well, I guess everyone that was worried that Williams couldn't score Indy 5 and The Fablemans in the same year now can relax. 

On the other hand, it's depressing to know that we'll gonna have to wait A FULL YEAR to hear JW's new Indy score.

Well that's bloody depressing, but it shouldn't change the timeline of him scoring it. It'll just sit in a vault for twelve months longer than expected :(

It's not like he'll suddenly stop writing until 2023.

But still, ugh. 

I imagine the recording of the score will begin sometime next year and continue until early 2023. Like the Star Wars Sequels, JW will have months to do the work. Didn't he finished The Last Jedi a whole semester before that movie came out?

Also, let's hope Mangold is not one of those directors who ask for a lot of revisions and inserts.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if he'll still start writing it this week or not!

He probably will.

The film will probably be completed on schedule by its original delivery date -- which will give Disney time to market a finished film.

With so many moving parts, and given both Ford and Williams not being young men, I would think the production would carry forward, regardless of release date.  But I have no idea how the studio's delay will affect the momentum or timeline of the production.  I hope very little.

Often studio delays are unrelated to the film's production schedule.

No doubt Harrison's injury forced them to change the post-production schedule but clearly they were still aiming for 2022 (that's the impression Williams had this past weekend!)

Otherwise they wouldn't have kept shooting without Ford, right? All that VFX work could have been avoided if they just waited until Ford was better... seems silly in hindsight.

37 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The film will probably be completed on schedule by its original delivery date -- which will give Disney time to market a finished film.

Absolutely. Jurassic World Dominion was also delayed a year towards the end of production, but Giacchino still recorded that score 6 months after filming ended (and finished recording over a month before the original release date).

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Good points

It's not the first time it's happened with a major franchise, where the film(s) are completed on time for their original date despite a final release 7-9 months later.

Star Trek (2009) and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince come to mind.

18 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Is the delay due to that big strike that’s looming? And they’re just covering their bases? The article didn’t say…

A deal was reached over the weekend, strike averted

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywood-strike-averted-iatse-amptp-reach-agreement-on-new-film-tv-contract-1234850563/

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

New date for the movie's opening: June 30, 2023.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1198085-indiana-jones-5-delay-pushes-sequel-back-a-year

Well, I guess everyone that was worried that Williams couldn't score Indy 5 and The Fablemans in the same year now can relax. 

On the other hand, it's depressing to know that we'll gonna have to wait A FULL YEAR to hear JW's new Indy score.

Ah, dang it!!!

I'm probably in the minority (report?) but I came here for the Indy and stayed for the Fablemans.   As emotional as wondrous as the Spielberg score will be, my heart is with Jones right now.

But if the delay means JW can better devote his attention to each, then I guess it's not the worst thing in the world.  

Here's why Disney changed dates for all of these movies:

Exhibition, no need to be alarmed: This has nothing to do with a change in distribution strategy for these films, I’m informed. There’s no Disney+ theatrical day-and-date going on, nor are Disney execs immediately concerned about the future of the global marketplace. It’s all on account of a domino effect going on with production and filmmakers. Some titles are contending with finishing scenarios while others are in production. This is how Disney is solving it, and when you come to think of it, most of the dates were already reserved by the studio for Marvel fare; they’re just moving titles from one slot to the next.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/doctor-strange-2-thor-love-and-thunder-black-panther-wakanda-forever-release-date-changes-1234857549/

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

17 years passed between 1989 and 2008.

Only 15 years will pass between 2008 and 2023

thats crazy to think about too.

but i was thinking more of what Ford's age was back in 2008 though.

who could predict TWO 'old indy' films

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

It's not the first time it's happened with a major franchise, where the film(s) are completed on time for their original date despite a final release 7-9 months later.

Star Trek (2009) and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince come to mind.

Although HBP was delayed on particularly short notice, like 3 months before its original release, so they were pretty deep in post anyway. 

I sort of don't mind waiting for this as long as we're still gonna get Fabelmans next year, on the bright side it is nice to think we'd have new John Williams music waiting for us that far in the future. And like everyone I just hope they're not gonna dawdle around with JW's time. 

Indiana Jones 5 coming out on June 30, 2023 is… Honestly, it sucks that we have to wait over a whole year to see it, as well as hear the Maestro’s score. However, I guess it works out for the best. Production, while currently taking place, is on schedule. This gives James Mangold, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford and the rest of the cast and crew more time to make sure this film is the best it can be and knock it out of the park; the same goes for the post-production. It gives ILM more time, and it gives John Williams more time to do the score. Still, to wait over a whole year… COME ON!!!

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

thats crazy to think about too.

but i was thinking more of what Ford's age was back in 2008 though.

who could predict TWO 'old indy' films

Even though it's often joked about how old Ford is, it's kinda hard for me to wrap my head around that he's only 10 years younger than JW. He's gonna be 81 when this thing's released, JW will be 91. It's impressive but also undoubtedly kind of hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Amer said:

I hope this means Williams can do another film scoring project in between the time he does The Fablemans and Indy V. 

Yes, preferably a sweeping historical fantasy epic (ala Lord of the Rings) or a Quentin Tarantino film