Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• 2 months later...

Wow, they're actually sticking with July 2022 as the release date?

The odds of this being released in 19 months, when Frank Marshall hasn't even read the screenplay, is ridiculously slim. Realistically they'd need to be filming within 8-10 months.

More likely another delay until 2023, for my money.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I find the endless jokes surrounding Ford's age very tiresome. He's very fit for his age

Some fellas in their 80s and 90s are fit for their age. Although, they don't play action heroes in movies. Because it'd be absurd. 

Maybe it's me. Maybe I have "moved on", but it feels somehow right to say that I have no interest in this film, whatsoever.

I've no wish to denigrate people's efforts, but, imo, the Indiana Jones story came to a satisfactory end, in 1989, and I have no plans to revisit it, beyond that date.

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Some fellas in their 80s and 90s are fit for their age. Although, they don't play action heroes in movies. Because it'd be absurd. 

Again, who says anything about him having to do high wire stunts all the time? A screenwriter can tone down his physical action, perhaps let other characters do that, if necessary. Personally, I would love to see an Indy film in the style of the YOUNG INDY series - which is more about character development than action.

Btw, Ford had a great fight scene in BR2049 just two years ago. And there's CALL OF THE WILD last year, again a physical role. He's up for it -- and then some!

What is absurd, is the 'ageism' on display.

Yeah, you're talking about a totally different film to the Indiana Jones adventure I wanted to see. John Wayne got away with playing an old cowboy geezer in The Shootist because it didn't come after a series of swashbuckling genre defining films in a beloved action adventure franchise. Otherwise, it'd just would have been a bit sad.

Space Cowboys is another one where old egos got together and tried to act like they still had it. It was a bit sad. But at least those guys were about as old as Ford was in 2008!

I love SPACE COWBOYS!

By the way, you can still have an action-oriented Indy film like you desire, but it doesn't have to be Ford who does all the stunts. He can have a more mentor role, like Connery in TLC. It all depends on how they write this.

I think it's inevitable that Indy will be a mentor character in this. It makes me feel like this: :(

So I'd rather they just left it, with him and his three companions riding off into the sunset. 

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I think it's inevitable that Indy will be a mentor character in this. It makes me feel like this: :(

So I'd rather they just left it, with him and his three companions riding off into the sunset. 

Fair enough.

Personally, I'm open to all kinds of scenarios:

Harrison Ford doing all kinds of stunts through the power of movie magic.

Ford taking a backseat mentor role while a younger actor does the stunts.

An Indy film that is less about action in the first place, YOUNG INDY-style.

Or any other variation thereof. Anything goes! Just less interdimensional beings, please.

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ford had a great fight scene in BR2049 just two years ago.

Blade Runner 2049 came out in 2017, which was 3 years ago

And there's CALL OF THE WILD last year,

Call of the Wild came out in 2020, only 10 months ago

I mean, in those sequels it is not the situation that the producers say, we still have a great story to tell, so how can we do this?

It is more like, we have a successful prominent franchise with characters that people love having acted in scenes that people like to remember and rewatch again and again, but we don't earn money from people watching their old DVDs at home. So, how can we make more money from that? Create another movie with this character filled with variations of these beloved scenes so that people again go to cinema and pay for being reminded to the old film without us investing any new idea.

David Lynch once said in his master class trailer. Everything is about ideas. Of you have collected about 75 good ideas, you can create a feature film from it.  

I think, these sequels from the big franchises meanwhile, Star Wars included, contain probably 10 to 20 ideas at max and not all of them are good.  

A fully animated (Tintin stye) mocap Indiana Jones movie would have been my preference at this stage. 

Convincing deepfake technology could EASILY been implemented, but they'd never do it. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

CALL OF THE WILD last year, again a physical role. He's up for it -- and then some!

What is absurd, is the 'ageism' on display.

Only just caught these edits. Call of the Wild I really enjoyed, I took my children to see it and we had a lovely time. Ford was his ever watchable self in it, I found his performance charming. 

But what you're calling ageism I call "keep it dignified". Call of the Wild is a fine example of this. 

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Harrison Ford doing all kinds of stunts through the power of movie magic.

See I think this'd be terribly undignified, and likely quite cringy. 

I think you and I probably have different boundaries when it comes to the suspension of disbelief. 

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Blade Runner 2049 came out in 2017, which was 3 years ago

Call of the Wild came out in 2020, only 10 months ago

Ha, ha. As previously noted, I've lost total control of time in recent years. But thanks for the correction that totally makes my point null and void. ;)

19 hours ago, Quintus said:

A fully animated (Tintin stye) mocap Indiana Jones movie would have been my preference at this stage. 

Convincing deepfake technology could EASILY been implemented, but they'd never do it. 

I've said this elsewhere in this thread ... Ford could still voice him and 'animated Indy' could be made to look whatever age they see fit, but all the running, jumping, fisticuffs and whip-work would be somebody else's department.   

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I've said this elsewhere in this thread ... Ford could still voice him and 'animated Indy' could be made to look whatever age they see fit, but all the running, jumping, fisticuffs and whip-work would be somebody else's department.   

indiana-jones-clipart-28.jpg

• 4 weeks later...