Indiana Jones 5 (James Mangold, July 29 2022)

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I think that's exactly what the Darabont script was. Except, in his version, the Crystal Skull was being sought to resurrect Hitler from the dead (that was one of its powers). 

Man that could've been cool.  Why was the Darabont script scrapped?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mutt died on the way back to his home planet

Since Harrison Ford will be exactly the age Christopher Lee was in AOTC and The Two Towers, I guess the British woman will do most of the punching.

So that...the actress who played the woke robot from Solo might end up punching a literal Hitler...

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Man that could've been cool.  Why was the Darabont script scrapped?

Because George didn't like it. Spielberg and Ford loved it. Spielberg said it was the best script he'd read since Raiders.

It also had no son/Mutt character.

Frank Darabont was hired to write in July 2002. He turned in drafts in May and November 2003. Lucas had issues with it, and he began rewriting it (titling it Phantom City of the Gods).

The first version of the story was rejected for two main reasons: the introduction of a thirteen year-old daughter of Indy and Marion as one of the main characters, and the use of Nazis escaped to South America as main villains seeking revenge on Jones. However, the daughter idea was particularly disliked by Spielberg, who he felt to be too much like the character of Kelly Malcolm in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. For this reason, Spielberg petitioned Darabont to write out the character.

In the case of the villains, Lucas and Spielberg decided the villains should be Soviet agents this time. Spielberg felt that he could not satirize the Nazis again as the antagonists after making what he felt were important personal projects. Harrison Ford agreed that they "plain wore the Nazis out."

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

The right way to watch any series (movie or TV) is release order, IMO.  Later movies are referential to earlier releases intentionally or un-, regardless of chronology. 

YES

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

The right way to watch any series (movie or TV) is release order, IMO.  Later movies are referential to earlier releases intentionally or un-, regardless of chronology. 

Absolutely agreed - unless for series you don't just mean separate series made at different times and set before or after each other (TOS, TNG, Enterprise, whatever), but also separate episodes that were produced in some order in a set time window then aired out of order, creating unintended continuity hitches (TOS second pilot airing as s1e3, crew changing around back and forth in airing order, whatever).

I'm sure someone's made this point already, but listening to the new Matessino interview where they talk about Ford's age made me realize that Ford is just about 20 years older now than Sean Connery was when they filmed Last Crusade.  Man.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sean Connery was only born 12 years before Harrison Ford

Right, as much as emphasizing how old Ford is for doing a movie of this kind, it also brings home to me how it's kind of interesting that Connery was willing to play much older at the time.  I feel like an actor of his popularity at the same age nowadays wouldn't be so willing to.