Indiana Jones 5 (James Mangold, July 29 2022)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mutt died on the way back to his home planet

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Northern-type European mythology invites a bit of Wagnering too.

Williams had barely heard any Wagner; he doesn't like his dramas.

Has something to do with him trying to watch the Ring cycle without a grasp of German. Go figure...

I personally think Das Rheingold is quite accessible, provided there's subtitles, and then you just gradually get into the other ones. Some might prefer to start with something like Dutchman or Lohengrin.

And then of course there's Tristan...

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Northern-type European mythology invites a bit of Wagnering too.

I wonder if the film might center around Nordic mythology? Seems like an area Hollywood hasn't really bothered to explore (by comparison, the relics of Egyptian mythology have been comprehensively exhumed).

Although how any of this ties into

Spoiler

NASA, Nazis and the space race

has me buggered.

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if the film might center around Nordic mythology? Seems like an area Hollywood hasn't really bothered to explore (by comparison, the relics of Egyptian mythology have been comprehensively exhumed).

Hide contents

That'd be awesome! 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Although how any of this ties into

Reveal hidden contents

has me buggered.

There is always the possibility of an introductory mini-adventure.

Or the former rumours might be a red herring to some degree.

I guess the films tend to be a bit bi-polar in that respect anyway. Before KOCS, the artifact in the opening teaser had little to do with the major plot artifact or story (though it might inform it thematically, or introduce characters that become important later).

You'd have a totally warped impression of Temple of Doom's plot if all you knew about was the nightclub dance sequence, a Shanghai car chase, a rare diamond, Indy being poisoned, and the ashes of a long-dead Chinese emperor.

I'd love to see an opening teaser with some absurdly convoluted action scene during one of the Apollo launches (naturally, a baddie ends up trapped underneath the launch pad during the launch, complete with a classic JW countdown cue before the fire erupts).

It's such a fun time period for an Indy film to be set, all things considered.

LXG is one of the only movies I’ve seen where I’ve wanted to walk out of a theater.  I didn’t, but I wanted to!  And I saw it for free at the time, so there was no financial incentive for leaving early.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Has something to do with him trying to watch the Ring cycle without a grasp of German. Go figure...

Well it makes sense, the only German I know is: Achtung!... eine Kugel kam geflogen, da steht ein Lindenbaum.

I have the same question.I really hope they're filming in other countries! They're so close to exotic locations throughout North Africa and Europe, it would be a waste if they just filmed everything at Pinewood.

They might as well have stayed in LA if they weren't intending to travel internationally, so I'm quietly confident they relocated to Pinewood for good reason.

I have to admit, despite my better judgement, I'm starting to get more interested in this than I thought I'd be.  And this is something I know for a fact would not be the case if Spielberg were directing.

-Nick 1066, who is slowly moving from cynical scepticism to cautious optimism about Indy 5.

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

despite my better judgement, I'm starting to get more interested in this than I thought I'd be.

Et tu quoque, Nick?

I'm conceptually uninterested in an action-adventure film where the action hero is 80-years-old.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Et tu quoque, Nick?

I'm a reasonably educated man, but this f*cking heat must be making me crazy. I have no idea what you're getting at here.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'm conceptually uninterested in an action-adventure film where the action hero is 80-years-old.

I'm guessing then you're not big on Aragorn bits in LOTR then? ;)

On 6/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

What has Ford done to his face? Botox and fillers?

More like life and plane crashes

I wish it were set during the late 2010's. Most of Indy's entourage has died. Indy has lived this long because he chose wisely and the cup has extended his life to the here and now.