Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Had an idea for an Indy V concept story the other day.

A lady adventurer very, VERY similar to Indy has been after a McGuffin all her life.

She's about the same age as Indy and he gets drawn in by her.

He ends up liking her a lot and regrets they never met before as her love for adventure might've been the perfect match for him.

As the story progresses, his character development is to realise that he loves his wife Marion more than he loves adventure.

He decides to 'let go' and live out his life in peace.

Our lady adventurer keeps going though; and she may or may not perish at the end.

In fact, the film can be ended BEFORE she completes her quest, leaving her ultimate fate shrouded in mystery.

After all, she was never the main character; Indy was.

And with his character development ultimately complete, his story is over.

Aside from allowing a worthy ending for our favourite hero, it also opens the door for a soft reboot.

The sixth film in the franchise can return back in time, following the lady adventurer back in her prime.

This way, future films can maintain the time setting of the 20s, 30s and 40s.

They'd also be related to what came before, potentially allowing tie-ins with the original trilogy here and there as well; from a different point of view.

Seems to me a good way of reinvigorating the franchise, while giving Professor Jones an age-appropriate send-off as well.

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Indy 5 will be about Bermuda's triangle, it fits the continuity. I don't see anything else.

Something fun could be made around that, I'm sure!

Except for one tiny thing...

I've been there. SO many times.

Survived just fine.

Along with thousands upon thousands of others.

The Florida Straits are in it.

Pretty heavily trafficked part of the world.

And Puerto Rico too. :D

Well, remember the timeline in Indy movies, we will be in the late 60s in Indy 5 or what?

I don't see any other thing for the late 60s.

It must be a huge US cultural myth, I mean the last Indy was about Aliens and Area 51...

My idea for Indy V was for Jones to meet Short-Round somewhere by accident. Just bumps into him and SR is dressed liked Indy (fedora, jacket). Indy is surprised and SR is initially embarrassed. He goes on to explain that he has basically been living like Indy in his own neck of the woods. Explanation of how/why they departed, but he has been doing, and the search he is on for an artifact, which Indy happens to know about ... blah, blah, blah... Indy gives direction with SR doing lots of the action.... possibly handing a series over, but definitely bringing the films to a close. 

The character of Indiana Jones was born on July 1 1899, so a story set near Harrison Ford's current real life age of 78 would take place in the late 1970s

In the 2008 movie they were in 1957... so we are in 2021, so it means... 1970.

Bermuda's triangle... and a wink to CE3K...

• Raiders of the Lost Ark takes place in 1936 when Indy was 36/37 and was filmed when Harrison Ford was 38/39
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom takes place in 1935 when Indy was 35/36 and was filmed when Harrison Ford was 41/42
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade takes place in 1938 when Indy was 38/39 and was filmed when Harrison Ford was 46/47
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull takes place in 1957 when Indy was 57/58 and was filmed when Harrison Ford was 65/66

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

The character of Indiana Jones was born on July 1 1899, so a story set near Harrison Ford's current real life age of 78 would take place in the late 1970s

So the plot of Indy 5 could be him involved in a Watergate-like conspiracy. The movie would be inspired by those paranoic suspense thrillers of the 70s like The Conversation and Parallax View. It's a way of bringing Ford back without having to worry about him performing stunts.

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So the plot of Indy 5 could be him involved in a Watergate-like conspiracy. The movie would be inspired by those paranoic suspense thrillers of the 70s like The Conversation and Parallax View. It's a way of bringing Ford back without having to worry about him performing stunts.

But Indiana Jones is NOT a suspense thriller: its an action-adventure series.

Having an Indiana Jones movie where someone other than Indy is doing the action is cheating. Better to just not make the movie.

Age is not a concern, at all. Ford can play Jones as long as he wants, as long as he's able. However, I do have an issue with movie that refuses to let their character grow old. So, I don't want a 80 years old Ford act and play and do stunts as if he's in his mid 30… This is where things get ridiculous. It would be way more interesting to see what an actual 80 years old indiana jones can do :) 

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

He was too old in Last Crusade, really.

Maybe a little bit older than I would have preferred, yes.

But Indy was cast from the get-go as a slightly older man than your usual action hero, so it works. In his 60s, though? Not so much, much less so in his 80s.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Maybe a little bit older than I would have preferred, yes.

But Indy was cast from the get-go as a slightly older man than your usual action hero, so it works. In his 60s, though? Not so much, much less so in his 80s.

He was probably the absolute maximum age you'd want the character to be in LC. I only say this because I myself am feeling my age a lot in my joints and I'm only 35. Ford was fuckin' 39 in Raiders!

47 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

He was probably the absolute maximum age you'd want the character to be in LC.

Just about, yeah.

But even if he was younger AND they made Indy 4 right there, I still would be conceptually uninterested because Indy culminated with that riding off into the sunset. It’s perfect.

Consider this:

Why not make a gritty film about two old men (Prof. Jones and Sallah) leading some sort of expedition, as a start? Slow pacing, Tarantino approach to visuals, broad canvas for music... asking Williams to indulge in his love for the CE3K-ish / Ligeti...

something like Unforgiven / No Country for Old Men (in terms of pacing). Maybe with professor Jones feeling responsible for getting one more dangerous mystical artifact out of everyone's way, knowing that [building on Raiders and KOTCS] he can trust neither the U.S. government, nor any other government?

Sallah could be a more serious character again, after aging and some sort of life's hardships that got him on the way. He could be more like Tolkien's book Gimli.

At the end have Indy die in some ruins in the desert, with Marion and Sallah standing above him, and another sunset, but a peaceful one.

Not so far-fetched with the director of Logan and Le Mans, is it?

And then Williams gets an Oscar, or at least one more nomination.

8 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

you mean like in the TV series?

Yes, only crazy.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Indeed. People always forget the George Hall Indy:

MV5BYmU1OThmOTctZjYxNS00N2E0LTljMWUtZjZj

Is that an early version of Mutt Jones on the left?

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Interesting premise, Fabulin, although I wouldn't want Indy to die at the end.

Some additional thoughts:

If the film has the 70s as a setting, it probably will be informed by the cinema of the time to some extent, just like the 1930s Indy was informed by the popular stories of those days.

In the 1970s some of the "blockbusters" were films like... CE3K, Jaws, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, The Exorcist, The Godfather...

And all of them fit neatly into the contemporary currents of brooding cinema.

Normally that would mean RCP for music, but if Williams is involved, we have a chance at one of "those" Williams scores - War of the Worlds, Lost World, CE3K, Fury... mixed with his "emeritus" style of War Horse, Lincoln, Book Thief, or The Rise of Skywalker.

As far as I'm concerned that alone justifies whatever ethical dissonance Chen might suffer from the film not being terminated (sorry :) )

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Why not make a gritty film about two old men (Prof. Jones and Sallah) leading some sort of expedition, as a start? Slow pacing, Tarantino approach to visuals, broad canvas for music [...] something like Unforgiven / No Country for Old Men (in terms of pacing).

That's all fine and well, but its not Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones is light, fast-paced and action-packed.

Have you seen any of the YOUNG INDY episodes, Chen? They show that Indy doesn't always have to be 'light, fast-paced and action-packed'. The universe is richer and has more opportunities than that.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's all fine and well, but its not Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones is light, fast-paced and action-packed.

Not a problem.  It could, just like Raiders, have a title that does not contain "Indiana Jones"

It won't, but that's a different thing.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

hey show that Indy doesn't always have to be 'light, fast-paced and action-packed'. The universe is richer and has more opportunities than that.

No, but I'm willing to bet it was never the grim kind of thing that @Fabulin is advocating. I mean, I love Unforgiven, but that film should never be used as an example for anything to do with Indiana Jones. It shouldn't even be used as a reference within the same municipality.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

No, but I'm willing to bet it was never the grim kind of thing that @Fabulin is advocating. 

It isn't. But it's a more character-driven story, more grounded, with various historical settings as backdrop.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1380886/indiana-jones-5-release-date-harrison-ford-mutt-shia-labeouf-spin-off-john-rhys-davies

(07.01.2021) According to a report from source Daniel Richtman, Indiana Jones 5 will be the first film in a long list of multiple spin-off movies.

I wonder which characters in the Indy films would even work as standalones...

Colonel Dietrich? Mola Ram? Marcus?

The only character that maybe would be worth a vintage adventure of his own is Belloq. He could work in an old-fashioned film with a villain providing narration, 1940s-1950s cinema style.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1381944/indiana-jones-5-release-date-harrison-ford-mutt-shia-labeouf-replaced-disney-plus

Indiana Jones has always been an extremely intelligent character. Throughout four films so far, Harrison Ford has portrayed Dr Henry Jones as a smart, logical, and brilliant man who puts the relics he is hunting above all else. Despite this, he is not one to step away from a fight. Many instances of the four films have shown Indy taking on countless foes and triumphantly winning battles. That is all about to change, however, in the upcoming Indiana Jones 5.

I wonder if Ford's comments made over the years reflect something about the script of this film (on which he had to agree).

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I propose a ' meta Indy'.

Set in the early Sixties he inspires a young George Lucas to create the character after relating his adventures; kinda like Marty Mcfly inspired Chuck Berry!

And convinces George Lucas to create a space opera series in which Indy can have the starring role!

On 1/6/2021 at 12:54 PM, Chen G. said:

I thought Ford was too old back in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I thought that was going to be a problem, but I was convinced of him as Indy in the movie.  However, the script was a nightmare, particularly the slowest second act in movie history--but I had problems with all three acts.  Long story short: the fact that Harrison Ford was convincing made the movie so much sadder as a lost opportunity.  

Youngsters have not enough imagination and openness to accept a 5th Indy movie.

They never accepted the 4th.

I find it perfect, except the fake ants and monkey scenes.

- An X born in 1974