Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

On 7/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, Chen G. said:

Nah, he's too busy making experimental films enjoying all that Disney stock.

Disney's attitude to Lucas having any involvement now with his franchises was neatly summed up by them effectively telling him to shove his Force Awakens story ideas up his ass (otherwise known as 'Didn't we give you 4 billion to go away?').      

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Disney's attitude to Lucas having any involvement now with his franchises was neatly summed up by them effectively telling him to shove his Force Awakens story ideas up his ass (otherwise known as 'Didn't we give you 4 billion to go away?').      

I think Bob Iger actually apologised for this. Or at least expressed regret that he misled Lucas as to his intentions.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

by them effectively telling him to shove his Force Awakens story ideas up his ass

Did they, though? We know a fair amount about Lucas' early work on Episode VII (for Disney, not the Episode VII he claims - falsely - to have had in his head from the outset) and its pretty close to the finished film. The biggest, non-Lucas addition (and ironically one of the most eyeroll inducing) is Starkiller Base.

Otherwise, its Lucas who set the film up as a revisiting of the original Star Wars: his treatment already had the basic scenario down: orphan from backwaters planet joins the struggle against the Emprie 2.0 and the neurotic evil wizard who's related to the heroes...

Well, given that both Lucas and Iger said they didn't use his story treatments, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say they didn't.  Maybe there were a few bits and pieces from GL's ideas in there, but those are most definitely not the stories he would have told.

In any event, Iger never told Lucas he thought his ideas sucked. He simply didn't use them, though how much he led Lucas on to believe he would seems to be a matter of dispute.

• 2 weeks later...

anal nathrak, uthvas bethud, do che-ol di-enve!

Oh my goodness, is that Nicol Williamson as Merlin from John Boorman's (excellent yet uneven) Arthurian cinematic classic Excalibur? 

Contemplate this on the tree of woe.

9qgg5u6mend71.jpg

4 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

anal nathrak, uthvas bethud, do che-ol di-enve!

Oh my goodness, is that Nicol Williamson as Merlin from John Boorman's (excellent yet uneven) Arthurian cinematic classic Excalibur? 

Contemplate this on the tree of woe.

9qgg5u6mend71.jpg

Hmmm. Wonder if this was some unused concept art for one of the Indy desktop games in the early 90s. When Fate of Atlantis was being developed they were also kicking around Excalibur as a potential relic. 

Or it’s just a nice piece of fan art.

Does anyone else, like me, find that they don't care about all this trivial stuff relating to the film, and the only thing worth getting excited for is the score?

I think it was a different feeling when Star Wars was returning in 2015. Don't get me wrong, I love Indiana Jones.

I have that feeling now, and I had it through the whole Star Wars sequel trilogy and the whole Hobbit trilogy, so I'm used to it!

The question is when will I stop going to see these movies, and just cut to the chase and only listen to the score!

What I'm waiting for is the score as well. If the film is any good, great. Mangold is solid enough filmmaker to pull it off but my expectations are non-existent. 

Karol

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

Does anyone else, like me, find that they don't care about all this trivial stuff relating to the film, and the only thing worth getting excited for is the score?

I think the majority of people using JWFan feel this way

I think it was a different feeling when Star Wars was returning in 2015. Don't get me wrong, I love Indiana Jones.

I feel like Star Wars held the potential to be good again after the disappointing prequels.

I somehow feel less that Indiana Jones has the potential to be good again after the disappointing Crystal Skull.  I dunno why.

I actually really liked the angle they were trying to explore with crystal skulls, ancient civilisations and aliens all being connected. New territory for the series and still retains the archaeological roots. It's just that everything was executed so badly. 

It was a film where you could really tell the end product was a culmination of two decades of different writers trying to crack the same core ingredients... and failing. It's a wonder they didn't just cut their losses and try something different, but clearly Lucas was the culprit there. 

Thank fuck Mangold started with clean air for Indy 5 and binned whatever dreck Koepp had written so far. Regardless of whether his script is good or not, at least it'll feel like an organic narrative and not some haphazard sequence of disconnected ideas, concocted by a dozen writers over two decades, all tenuously linked by a threadbare story.

Anytime you have a film with a "triple agent" in it, you know there was a bad writer involved.  

The film had two major problems: there is a good 45 minute stretch where nothing exciting happens at all (arrival in Peru until the escape sequence, which in turn made the final act more boring than it needed to be.  Two)  way too many 50s references in the first act, from visuals, idiomatic expressions, and slogans.  I do not recall much "30s lingo" in the first three movies.  It all felt forced and artificial.    

I don't mind the late 60's as a backdrop for the next one, but they could easily fall into the same trap without a good screenwriter to keep things proportionate.    

• 1 month later...

Not sure how many Italian residents we have on JWFan (paging @TownerFan) but production has released a casting call for a shoot in Sicily next month:

https://www.castingnews.eu/news/news.asp?id_news=9070&id_cat=2

Imagine being an extra in an Indiana Jones film! Would be an amazing experience... good luck to anyone who can apply!

34 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Ah, Sicily.

but for real, loving these on-location shoots for this film already.

Yes, very nice roster of locations so far, with Italy and Morocco to come.

Great to have an actual globe-trotting Indiana Jones adventure after the uninspired studio backlots of KOCS. 

Harrison Ford is back after a 3-week recovery break ...

ft-660050-555x433.jpg

On 9/7/2021 at 7:38 PM, Edmilson said:

After years of blockbusters filmed in studios with green screens (thanks a lot, Zack Snyder) ...

Not George Lucas?

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Harrison Ford is back after a 3-week recovery break ...

ft-660050-555x433.jpg

Don't think that's a new photo of Ford on set. Looks like the Scotland shoot from back in June.

I'm sure they'll recover him with CGI.

On 7/16/2021 at 3:06 PM, Chen G. said:

Episode VII (for Disney, not the Episode VII he claims - falsely - to have had in his head from the outset)

Oh, it was the first episode he planned, down to the finest detail.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:11 AM, Chen G. said:

His ideas "for other possible movies" were not.

...yet.

12 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Photo might not be new but he's recovered, right? 

Indeed, bloody great news! The sooner they finish filming, the sooner Williams can start scoring it... and we're all excited about that!!!

Ordinarily wouldn't trust The Sun with their reporting but they were actually correct about the 3 month injury recovery, when most people (myself included) thought it was bullshit.

Bit surprised LFL haven't released any publicity photos of Ford in costume yet, given all the leaks. Seems like a weird missed opportunity.

On 9/8/2021 at 2:34 AM, crumbs said:

Not sure how many Italian residents we have on JWFan (paging @TownerFan) but production has released a casting call for a shoot in Sicily next month:

https://www.castingnews.eu/news/news.asp?id_news=9070&id_cat=2

Imagine being an extra in an Indiana Jones film! Would be an amazing experience... good luck to anyone who can apply!

Did you see this post @TownerFan?

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I live very far from Sicily—I’m in the Northern region, but thanks for pointing it out. Will check local newspapers to see if something nice will pop out.

Bummer!!

Well, was worth a try! Would've been nice to have a JWFanner in the new Indiana Jones film :P

INDIANA JONES 5 Rumored To Be Setting The Stage For The Franchise's New Lead - SPOILERS

Apparently the movie will serve as an introduction for a female character (probably Phoebe Waller-Bridge) to be the new protagonist for the franchise.

Oh boy, I'm already picturing the war and chaos that will happen over at Twitter...

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

INDIANA JONES 5 Rumored To Be Setting The Stage For The Franchise's New Lead - SPOILERS

Apparently the movie will serve as an introduction for a female character (probably Phoebe Waller-Bridge) to be the new protagonist for the franchise.

Oh boy, I'm already picturing the war and chaos that will happen over at Twitter...

Here’s a question, has there ever been a spin-off film from a popular franchise that has been successful? The only one that is coming to mind is Hobbs and Shaw of the F&F films. 

(I know there’s been lots of successful tv series spin offs. I’m just trying to think of film franchises. OH I guess “The Conjuring” films were spin offs right?) 

In any case, they tried it once with Shia. I don’t see it working with Waller-Bridge either, however talented she may be. I am very curious though. I see them going the route of just making it a series ala “Mandalorian” or this Robert Langdon series Peacock is trying out. That might work better that a major tent pole film series.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Kathleen Kennedy + female characters are guaranteed triggers for basement dwellers worldwide.

You mean the actual fans of the franchise?

Can't post the rest of my reply by fear of breaking current MB rules.

For situations like this I'll have to come up with some sort of universal reply so you sort of know what I wanted to say without actually saying it.

30 minutes ago, King Mark said:

You mean the actual fans of the franchise?

Can't post the rest of my reply by fear of breaking current MB rules.

For situations like this I'll have to come up with some sort of universal reply so you sort of know what I wanted to say without actually saying it.

What on earth are you talking about?

You realise you're being triggered by a completely baseless, clickbait article that originated at a trash tabloid and exists solely to manufacture outrage and drive clicks to their website... right?

These are the same websites that fill their front page with CELEBRITY CHEATING SCANDALS and ROYAL BABY NEWS as leading stories.

I don't care if this specific article is true or not, but the way things are  is very alarming for our beloved film franchises and iconic movie characters in general.

13 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I don't care about this specific article, but the way things are  is very alarming for our beloved film franchises and iconic movie characters in general.

Yeah, it's very alarming that Disney held up production of the entire film for 3 months so their lead male actor could recover from surgery, despite the film being a secret feminist plot from Kathleen Kennedy to replace Indiana Jones with Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

I was talking about current Hollywood trends in general, a lot of which does get me triggered.

As for Indy I've stayed out of this thread mostly to avoid spoilers .I just want them to finish it so Williams can work on the score ASAP and we can spend the next 5 years discussing the unreleased music

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

As for Indy I've stayed out of this thread mostly to avoid spoilers .I just want them to finish it so Williams can work on the score ASAP and we can spend the next 5 years discussing the unreleased music

And we still have another decade or two to discuss all the unreleased SW sequel music!

I would not trust this particular tabloid article. However, there is a fact buried in all this.  Disney will continue this franchise past Harrison Ford--that much is guaranteed.  

one thing I'd love Indy 5 to have, is a scene like the bar shootout in Raiders.  No music, brilliant sound effects, campy BUT ALSO very violent.  It's one of the most unique scenes in the series.  I'm sure he can pull it off, considering he did Logan.