Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Maybe he can co-compose the Amazon LOTR series with Shore. 

Now look here, I enjoy both a good steak and a vist to the Shawarma shop, but that doesn't mean stuffing them both in the same dish makes for a better meal!

1 hour ago, Remco said:

So Williams will be nominated for an Oscar in 2024, thinking about it.

For a score he’s about to start writing!

If nothing else it guarantees him at least two more Oscar nominations, in '23 and '24. He probably would've gotten only one nomination if both scores came out next year. 

Look at it this way; if he’s finished with Indy and Fablemans by this summer, then he will have plenty of time for a potential 2023 Spielberg film as well.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

If nothing else it guarantees him at least two more Oscar nominations, in '23 and '24. He probably would've gotten only one nomination if both scores came out next year. 

He possibly won't get a nod for Indy 5, anyway. They passed on Crystal Skull and also BFG, his most recent two summer releases and the only scores he had those years. 

14 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Even though it's often joked about how old Ford is, it's kinda hard for me to wrap my head around that he's only 10 years younger than JW. He's gonna be 81 when this thing's released, JW will be 91. It's impressive but also undoubtedly kind of hilarious. 

As a mid-lifer myself, I lean more towards the impressive part.  I'm truly inspired by them both.

It makes me suspicious, that they publish so many pictures of Ford from the set, as if they want to disguise the fact that Ford will mostly be deepfaked in that movie, like they showed not much from the set of The Force Awakens but at least some pictures of Peter Mayhew in a Chewbacca costume even though they probably used him just in one or two aliby shots.

15 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

That they're making an Indiana Jones movie at their age? How is that not funny? It's somehow even funnier knowing the odds are it'll probably be pretty good too.

From the bazillion filming leaks on the internet, the film looks as crowded with things happening as TROS. I expect the music to consist of short cues like in TROS, although hopefully at least in a Williams-chopped form, not editor-chopped.

This film will either be something of a repeat of the last Star Wars, or a borderline miraculous save by Mangold & Co.

One thing is sure though: there will be a lot of fun action music.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Never ceases to amaze me how people can wax lyrical about Williams scoring action films into his 80s, yet mock Ford for playing this role in his 70s.

We should celebrate these people for dedicating their twilight years to work, when they could easily be enjoying retirement. The likes of Ford and Williams and Attenborough (who continues to narrate documentaries at 95!) should be applauded, not ridiculed.

I agree with crumbs

28 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

From the bazillion filming leaks on the internet, the film looks as crowded with things happening as TROS.

But isn't that the whole spirit of this series? One could make the exact same observation about the opening 15 minutes of Temple of Doom, which launches from one absurd setpiece to another (with Williams' score being the connective tissue that holds everything together).

Abrams was misguided approaching a Star Wars film in this manner, much less for a closing chapter.

28 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

This film will either be something of a repeat of the last Star Wars, or a borderline miraculous save by Mangold & Co.

I wouldn't consider it miraculous if Mangold happened to make a great film here. He is leagues beyond JJ Abrams in terms of filmmaking ability.

Rewatching Logan tonight, the sheer confidence in his direction and storytelling is something to behold.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

One could make the exact same observation about the opening 15 minutes of Temple of Doom, which launches from one absurd setpiece to another (with Williams' score being the connective tissue that holds everything together).

Bold of you to use what some consider to be the worst pre KOTCS Indy film as a defense.

31 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Bold of you to use what some consider to be the worst pre KOTCS Indy film as a defense.

And some rightfully know its better than any indy films that came after 1984.

The delay is curious and perhaps unnecessary but it's interesting to note that I was a 20 year old college student when Raiders of the Lost Ark Premiered and now I will be a 63 year old man looking at retirement for this upcoming sequel. Somewhere in between Indy films a lot of life has been well lived.

25 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I wouldn't want to work for any of you guys at his age.

Jesus! Of course, he should only do so if he feels physically up to it and is interested in the project, that’s a given. I only referred to the projects he can’t do due to schedules.

I don’t want Williams to work a second more than he wants to himself, but as he put it in 2018 when asked how it felt to have written music for films for 60 years; “It feels like a good start.”

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Relax, relax, I was joking.

I guess it hit me because I’m used to working with people his age and older - I didn’t want to come across as someone who overworked people and taking their health for granted or something, haha.

But there you go; humor. It is a difficult concept!

Harrison Ford would have been 80 when Indiana Jones 5 opened whether it stayed in 2022 or moved to 2023 (he was born on July 13, 1942)

The character of Indiana Jones turns 80 on July 1 1979.  If the film is indeed set in August 1969, he'd be "only" 70.

Filming has apparently started in Morocco.

Filming commenced in the Mellah and Bab Semmarine districts in Fez, featuring the typical sets of the film about Hollywood's most famous archaeologist. In addition to filming scenes of the first day of “Indiana Jones 5” in Fez, shops in the Mellah were closed to make way for old cars and camels and to furnish the main street with decorations reflecting scenes from the sixties.

Filming for the latest opus in the iconic saga began in London on June 7 and will continue in Fez and Oujda. The filming in Morocco started on October 17 and will continue until the beginning of December 2021.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2021/10/345109/filming-starts-in-fez-for-5th-indiana-jones-movie

• 2 weeks later...

Walt Disney Studios confirmed to The Post on Thursday: "Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Nic Cupac [...] His sudden passing was not production related. Nic was a grip on 2nd unit." [...] he is thought to have died of natural causes.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

It’s the NY Post so no huge surprise, but that’s a pretty misleading and click-thirsty headline!

It's also extremely irresponsible, particularly in light of the recent incident on Baldwin's film.

The film industry is finally having its very overdue reckoning with unsafe and unsustainable practices, but misleading headlines like this do nothing for the situation and will just exacerbate things.

41 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

It's also extremely irresponsible...misleading headlines like this do nothing for the situation and will just exacerbate things.

Um, this is all media outlets and has been so for at least 10-15 years (well, maybe forever, but definitely the last 15 years).

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Um, this is all media outlets and has been so for at least 10-15 years (well, maybe forever, but definitely the last 15 years).

Yes I know. I'm simply voicing my opinion about it regarding this specific incident.

• 3 months later...

There was at least one delay, though, right? Also wonder if maybe they paced things out slower for Ford, shorter days or something. 

Anyway glad it's officially done, cut it up and give it to Johnny pronto

Yes I believe if there had been no injuries they would have wrapped by December and the film would still be coming out this July

Man. I’m so glad it’s done! Are they doing pick-ups

/reshoots at all? Those tend to be normal occurrences on big films like this right?

Seeing an 80 year old Ford doing press for this movie next year will be interesting. He’s gonna have to field a lot of tactless interviewers asking him “ So what were you guys thinking with ‘Crystal Skull?’”

11 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Man. I’m so glad it’s done! Are they doing pick-ups

/reshoots at all?

How could anyone know that yet

11 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Those tend to be normal occurrences on big films like this right?

Yea