Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Interesting. So we're getting opeing sequence where it's like we're right after The Last Crusade or something, which will probably introduce the gimmick that the film is about. And then the rest of the film is with older Indy.

Sounds cool. If the de-aging is done really well, this could be spectacular

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I didn't hear it the first 50 times watching the low quality recording from D23, but towards the end you can hear Indy say 'shes my goddaughter' right before he tells the gunmen to get back. Its not very audible but it is there.

1 minute ago, Brando said:

I didn't hear it the first 50 times watching the low quality recording from D23, but towards the end you can hear Indy say 'shes my goddaughter' right before he tells the gunmen to get back. Its not very audible but it is there.

yeah apparently some people also assumed it was said in jest.  so this just confirms it.

Allowing myself to be excited for this. This will be a great and proper sendoff for Dr Jones. I don’t care if it’s not a hit with the younger crowd. Semi-curious to see what else Lucasfilm does in the “world of Indiana Jones” later on. But I wont hang my heart on those.

But THIS film…”this…this IS history…”

In these times, I'm wary of franchises looking to bring back classic and beloved elements from the past, because 9.5 times out of 10, it's done so they can be revised and reframed "for modern audiences".

This is the same studio echelon that made the Star Wars sequels.

I'm not buying the hype.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's what everybody said about CRYSTAL SKULL, and look what happened ;)

Crystal Skull was a bad movie with innocent stupidity. I fear this will be a bad movie with questionable intent.

If they're gonna go as far as to say only Harrison Ford can be Indy, then I'm pretty sure they would want to avoid anything that might rob the final installment of any gravitas. After all, they did specifically end KotCS by ensuring audiences Ford will still be the lead after that tease with Shia.

Granted, since this is the director of Logan, I could maybe see this being a legitimate concern based on knowing Mangold's filmography, but I sincerely doubt that's what is happening here. At most, she'll get a Disney+ spin off at some point in the future if the character is liked enough.

(Also, fairly certain Bridge's contributions to the NTTD script were the most liked parts of that movie, if she's also part of the concern.)

Against my better judgement, and despite PWB's involvement (which is obviously a negative) I'm somewhat excited about this.  Which in my experience means it could be very good or very bad. 

Still, it's better than indifference. I like what I could make out in the trailer, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've come up with.

4 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Or is it purely just the "woman lead in a modern Disney production" thing?

Oh good grief. She's not even the lead. I just find her annoying.

7 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I did remember that character not sitting well with some.

Eh. Close enough.

(I didn't intend to sound overly forward with my questions. I just want to make sure I ain't misunderstanding folks.)

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

1. Stop making any Indiana Jones content forever, or 2. Pass on the torch. 

Neither is ideal

Door 1 is ideal.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't care if it were PWB or Chris Pratt or Shia freaking Lebouf donning the hat & whip, I wouldn't be interested. And in event, they've already said they wouldn't recast Indy, so what does it matter? Am I supposed to be interested in a series set in an "Indiana Jones Expanded Universe"? Why? What would the point of that even be, beyond yet another cynical, disappointing cash grab.

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, there's no "Indy Universe" without the character, and I have zero faith that Disney, whether via a movie or (more likely) a TV series could do anything associated with it justice. If they want to create a period action adventure series, they should just do that and leave Indy alone. They won't, of course, but they should.

Last Crusade closed the Indy story perfectly with him riding off into the sunset. You couldn't have asked for a better ending. Now, if they must continue, I'm glad they're getting another shot at it after the abysmal 4th film. I'm genuinely (perhaps foolishly) optimistic and excited to see what they come up with. But for crying out loud, let that be the end of it. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

What? She's great! Have you seen Fleabag?

I live in England. Of course I have. :)

12 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Neither is ideal, but that's the reality. I also don't see how FWB would be a negative, aside from people that hate on her simply because of her character in a single film (Solo).

I feel like a lot of it (not all) is just the same bullcrap about you know what.  

13 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Am I supposed to be interested in a series set in an "Indiana Jones Expanded Universe"? Why? What would the point of that even be, beyond yet another cynical, disappointing cash grab.

Well they could finally do an Indy series for adults!

Gritty-ana Jones and the Kingdom of Dour World-Building

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Ha! Credit to Lucas, he was genuinely trying to make something educational while also entertaining with the Young Indy Chronicles. The results were, er, decidedly mixed at best, but it was pretty clear a lot of love went into that show.

I wonder if JW will go back to his Nazi theme from Raiders, or will Mikkelsen’s character have their own motif.

Looking forward to hearing the score for all these action set pieces. JW in action mode is my favourite JW.

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

I wonder if JW will go back to his Nazi theme from Raiders, or will Mikkelsen’s character have their own motif.

Looking forward to hearing the score for all these action set pieces. JW in action mode is my favourite JW.

I think the description of the opening could not be better news score-wise.  It will give Williams a chance to provide a mini-score, like he did with Last Crusade. 

If the de-aging is so good…. Would they try to make more indy movies after ford has retired, with ford likeness?* This was morally unthinkable  a pair of decades ago… but nowadays we are more and more into reviving old actors…

*(and fix ‘Solo’ by the way 😅)

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Gritty-ana Jones and the Kingdom of Dour World-Building

A dark and gritty Indy movie, with a dour atmosphere, mature themes (i.e. people ocasionally saying "fuck" and one or two shots of women's tits), Bourne-like editing in the fight scenes and a Remote Control-style score done by one of Zimmer's accolytes with lots of horn of doom and angry electronics.

Sure, why the hell not...

I was listening to the Crystal Skull RS and I get the feeling Williams will use the Henry Sr./Jones Family theme again in this film. It’s perfectly lovely and has a nice longing vibe to it. Wouldn’t be opposed to it popping up again. (I LOVE the bridge section in particular heard in Last Crusade’s End Credits)

Just now, WampaRat said:

I was listening to the Crystal Skull RS and I get the feeling Williams will use the Henry Sr./Jones Family theme again in this film. It’s perfectly lovely and has a nice longing vibe to it. Wouldn’t be opposed to it popping up again. (I LOVE the bridge section in particular heard in Last Crusade’s End Credits)

I wonder if it would be appropriate if he wrote the end credits like he did for TROS and quoted several films. Part of me thinks thats possible but I don't know. 

8 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I actually like that the Indy scores (like the films) are more stand alone stories. 

This is the only thing that would make the 'legacy theme end credits' not make sense. Because you can watch the Indy films in any order really and get an idea of what the other ones are I like, except for them all being vastly different, which is a great thing.

I have an inherent and intense dislike of any - anything - that Waller Bridge does, so couldn't give a single shit about what happens to her character.

She fucked-up Bond, and she might well fuck-up Indiana Jones.

4 hours ago, Brando said:

I wonder if it would be appropriate if he wrote the end credits like he did for TROS and quoted several films. Part of me thinks thats possible but I don't know. 

Not for a single movie please.

But maybe Williams is once going to write a concert suite with a medley of all essential Indy themes, packed in the middle of the Raider's March like Marion's Theme.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

And you know that how? Last I checked: she was brought on from a personal recommendation by Craig, and would've been partly responsible for the scenes in Cuba (you know, the ones people think are the best in the film) as a result of most of the story already being written.

People are allowed to dislike things, yet it's easy to feel like someone shat on their cereal with some of these opinions. Get a new bowl, I guess?

That's an "ad hominem", Patrick.