Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The real question involves bringing back dead actors in virtual performances (which, make no mistake, is coming), which will ultimately end up being a legal, not moral, question.

It’s here!  See Peter Cushing in Rogue One

The real question would be things like studios owning an actor's likeness in some role and using it for bits and marketing in ways the actor themselves would be opposed to and not sign off on if they were given the chance.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It’s here!  See Peter Cushing in Rogue One

Right. But that was little more than a cameo. But what about when the technology is such that you're going to be able to put, say, Humphrey Bogart as the leading man in a feature-length film? And I do think we'll get to that point.

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I see a possiblility, like the rumours about bruce willis having sold his image to some studio…

That could make for a very ironic Die Hard movie.  

Related to digitally resurrecting dead actors and the ethical/legal issues it raises, I’m reminded of this SciFi novel by Connie Willis from 1995 called “Remake”. I’m surprised that Hollywood hasn’t tried to make this a film yet (ironically)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remake_(novel)

image.jpeg

The cover and font are…ummm…dated even for 1995 😆But an interesting idea!

Oh each day that passes just gets me so much more excited!

Oh I forgot….my friend I talk to online said a couple people he follows on Instagram were posting a supposed title for the film and even it’s not true, it sounds better than any other fan/fake title we’ve seen in my opinion…

Spoiler

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

52 minutes ago, Brando said:

Oh each day that passes just gets me so much more excited!

Oh I forgot….my friend I talk to online said a couple people he follows on Instagram were posting a supposed title for the film and even it’s not true, it sounds better than any other fan/fake title we’ve seen in my opinion…

Hide contents

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

Hmmm…I’ll need to sit with this if true. It just doesn’t strike me as a title to the final Indy adventure…But I’ll be 100% ok with it if the film is terrific.

Spoiler

I can’t help but think of “Butt Dial”

I like the “…of Destiny” though. Seems mysterious, pulpy, and conclusive.

Perhaps “Land of Destiny” “Shores of Destiny”…something a tad broader?Heck even “Key of Destiny.” “Dial” sounds a bit…office-supply-y 😄. Not sure why it sticks out. But again. I’ll eat my fedora if the film is great. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Like Spectre did for Bond, it's gonna tie together the previous entries very neatly.

I'd hate to see your house if that's your definition of "neat" ;)

Good article, it did what it was meant to and has "dialled" up my excitement quite a bit. I mostly can't wait to hear Helena's theme in all its glory. What a treat it is - memorable, lush, and just exquisite.

50 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It was me, all me, Indiana. The author of all your pain. Now, do you believe...in a reasonable rate of return?

I'm afraid your friend, Helena, is really...my friend, Helena.

Somehow, Toht returned.

Karol

Spoiler

Ok. In this context, that title sounds pretty cool. (From our friends over at The Raven forum:)

http://raven.theraider.net/threads/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-de

”The dial of destiny. A book very delectable and pleasant: wherein may be seen the continual and customable course, disposition, qualities, effects, and influence of the seven planets over all kinds of creatures here below: also the several and sundry situation of countries and kingdoms. Compiled and discussed briefly, as well astrologically, as poetically, and philosophically by John Maplet Maister of Arte” 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

“There are rumours online of time-travel being part of the plot.”

“We have scenes that are recreating really iconic, giant events.”

Please, no.

I get the impression the latter comment is in reference to things like the ticker-tape parade, i.e. big events contemporary to the film's setting. That said, if a time travel component does come to pass we'd better not see indulgent crap like Indy watching himself recovering the fertility idol and running from the boulder. I'd like to think that Mangold has a bit more awareness than that, not least because as others have noted Marvel did the same thing very recently.

11 minutes ago, Andy said:

just so we can abbreviate it “PoA

By that reasoning, I know wish Episode IX had been titled Promotion of Skywalker, or some such "P" word.  

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

The quote is a little confusing. It sounds like a reference to a previous score?

"As Spielberg once put it to Empire..."

It is not a new quote about the score.  the only thing new is PBW's comments on Helena's theme.  

7 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Someone posted the full issue on Reddit.

800-indy.jpg

q3X7U9j.jpg

"The year is 1969. A man named Henry Jones Jr, near the end of his professional life, is staring retirement in the face like it's a swaying cobra. After decades of quests mingled with academic lessons, in which he's dispensed mountains of textbooks and whipped his way through endless hair-raising scenarios, he's facing the grim truth: it's all over. Compounding matters, the country he loves is transforming around him. This old-fashioned hero is now a man out of time. He will not, it's safe to say, be going to see Zabriskie Point.

But he has forgotten one thing. That if adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones. And adventure isn't done with him yet."

"Since marrying Marion Ravenwood, Indiana Jones has embraced - or tried to embrace - domesticity. He's initially reluctant, then, when that mischief arrives, in the form of Helena, played by Phoebe Waller-Bridge."

"If anyone in early meetings brought it up, I'd say, 'No Volumes, please!" says Mangold of rejecting the tech used by the likes of The Mandalorian to build worlds inside a studio. There are planes, trains, horses, trucks and - in a first for an Indy movie - helicopters. We will head to crypts, bazaars, even underwater (watch out for sea snakes!). "Every type of vehicle. Every country. We have scenes that are recreating really iconic, giant events," teases producer Simon Emanuel."

My anticipation for this film has never been higher. I’ll be there opening night to see it in IMAX.

Will Empire post that full Indy article on their site? I know they’ve released little excerpts as a tease…

I think Mangold pulled a “Stranger Tides” and just repurposed this Harlequin Romance novel for Indy 😉

332A5EC4-0C44-499E-A0BF-27F89080CB31.jpeg