Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody able to replace the “trailer music” with selections from the Maestro’s scores, culminating in the Raiders March as performed by the Berlin Philharmonic, or maybe just Raiders March as conducted by the Maestro and performed by the Berlin Philharmonic? It would certainly be better than what is utilized in the trailer.

Teaser poster also released. Does the job. I miss Drew though 🙁

Hopefully they can get him to do a limited print or something. His last experience on KoTCS drove him to retirement (too many middle men between him and the director now) But Mangold has been courting him on twitter.

7BBF5836-C148-4852-A497-A5A2B10DF0E2.webp

Anyone able to do some editing magic and track in a few genuine Williams Indy cues into the teaser? That will seal the deal for me!

11 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Anyone able to do some editing magic and track in a few genuine Williams Indy cues into the teaser? That will seal the deal for me!

16 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Anybody able to replace the “trailer music” with selections from the Maestro’s scores, culminating in the Raiders March as performed by the Berlin Philharmonic, or maybe just Raiders March as conducted by the Maestro and performed by the Berlin Philharmonic? It would certainly be better than what is utilized in the trailer.

On 16/06/2009 at 8:58 PM, Nick Parker said:

I am not really dreading it, actually. I think Steven Spielberg will learn from the mistakes he made during the fourth one, though I really cannot think of what they would use as the McGuffin.

They will use the Dial of Destiny as the McGuffin.

On 16/06/2009 at 9:11 PM, Joe Brausam said:

Spielberg would learn. Lucas will not, and that's the issue. 

That being said, the Dial of Destiny would be a cool artifact, though it would have worked better in 1930/40s era Indy films.

👀

For now, what I can find, is Indiana Jones et le cadran du destin.

Which means as fuc**** nothing as the english title.

It remembers me Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

The Temple of what? :lol:

WE HAVE A TITLE! WE HAVE A TITLE!!!

Let's go John: Call of the Dial, The Spell of the Dial, FINALE!

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

For now, what I can find, is Indiana Jones et le cadran du destin.

Which means as fuc**** nothing as the english title.

It remembers me Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

The Temple of what? :lol:

WE HAVE A TITLE! WE HAVE A TITLE!!!

Let's go John: Call of the Dial, The Spell of the Dial, FINALE!

Don’t forget “Dial of the Fates”

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

The dial of destiny? What does that mean? I need the French title ASAP!

atm-dial-destiny-telephone-dial_1_a9874214b41a3d381003df6eed2dac24.jpg

Le cadran du destin or Dial “D” for Destiny 

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What the heck is a 'dial' anyway?

Unless they're referring to when Indy makes a fateful telephone call :lol:

It's a long distance call I'm pretty sure of this!

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

Indiana Jones and the DoD. 

Great title. After all, he supported the war effort. 

I'd much rather if the title was "Indiana Jones and the DoJ"

It'd be a movie about Indy trying to escape the Department of Justice after being framed for a crime he didn't commit.

5 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

melbourne_sundial_at_flagstaff_gardens.j

Alternatively, according to OED

72F1C7AB-B880-43B5-AB15-18709DCFBAB5.jpeg

There’s also the “dial” for changing a radio or television station, as in “don’t touch that dial, we’ll be right back.”

But yeah, a dial as in a timepiece makes sense.  Indy’s old and his time is running out?

3 hours ago, SpaceCoyote said:

I doubt he would have saddled up himself even without the injury, but it’s regrettable that he was out of commission for such a major sequence.

Yeah even if Ford wasn't injured, a shot like that (the horse rearing) would always have used a stuntman.

This stuff always gets refined and cleaned up during post production; it'll look fine in the finished film.

Dial: 

1. a face of a clock, watch, or sundial that is marked to show units of time.

I believe that "Dial of Destiny" refers to

Spoiler

the Antikythera Mechanism, or an ancient device similar to it. The Antikythera Mechanism was the world's first analogue computer, which was used to predict astronomical positions and eclipses decades in advance. However, in the movie, I assume it will also be used as a time travel device.

The ancient historian Cicero wrote about two such devices that were built by the Greek mathematician Archimedes, who lived in Sicily. Interestingly enough, Sicily is one of the main filming locations for Indy 5.

The location of Archimedes' tomb is unknown to this day. The one thing we know about it comes again from Cicero, who says that the tomb is "surmounted by a sphere and a cylinder."

I bet that the underground cavern from the trailer is the tomb of Archimedes, the giant boulder is the sphere, and that the Dial of Destiny is the Antikythera Device, which will be buried with Archimedes in his tomb.

Go to 0:50 in the trailer. That's the Dial. Now look at this modern-day replica of the Antikythera Device. The visual resemblance is striking.

On 16/06/2009 at 3:11 PM, Joe Brausam said:

Spielberg would learn. Lucas will not, and that's the issue.

That being said, the Spear of Destiny would be a cool artifact, though it would have worked better in 1930/40s era Indy films.

No one called it, unless you or @Garrett changed it to Spear sometime today.

1 hour ago, Joe Brausam said:

On 16/6/2009 at 3:11 PM,  Joe Brausam said: 

Spielberg would learn. Lucas will not, and that's the issue. 

That being said, the Dial of Destiny would be a cool artifact, though it would have worked better in 1930/40s era Indy films.

Expand  

WOW!  I called it 13 years ago??  😂

I thought the Dial of Destiny was just something they made up

I am very much looking forward to seeing this. Been an Indiana Jones fan since like 7 or 8 years old. Can't wait to hear what new JW music will accompany the scenes.

That being said I'm sure I'm not alone here when I say that I still wish Spielberg was directing. Could've had yet another Spielberg/Williams collaboration. And considering this very well might be Williams' last film he'll score, who better it to be than Spielberg. 

Also kinda disliked that the trailer had the end with a joke cliché like every movie trailer nowadays. Hopefully there won't be a joke every minute like your standard Marvel film. I know the Indiana Jones films are no stranger to jokes but they didn't feel forced.

Anyways very much looking forward to it and I'm sure Mangold did a hell of a job.

On 30/11/2022 at 3:06 PM, crocodile said:

If I were to guess the trailer and title reveal would happen around the time Avatar 2 comes out. Just before Christmas, maximum exposure. Wouldn't expect it before.

Karol

OK, I need to heat that fedora hat now. 😆

Trailer looks fun. But so did the one for number 4.

Karol

9 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Where are our Photoshoppers? 

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 

RDT_20221201_1927125229922835094846763.jpg

Deodorant-Soap-Bar-Unwrapped---17230_xlarge.jpg

He's getting old. Destiny caught him. He can't get to all those hard to reach places. 

Dial in to order your copy of the limited Gold Edition!

10 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well, it certainly looks like fun. Which in the wake of the gloomiest outing for Bond to date is, frankly, extremely welcome.   

Yeah, it's good to see the film has retained a sense of humour. Those Bond films have become far too self-serious and gritty.

Nice trailer - could be a good film.

Bear in mind JW is over 90 and not the same composer he was when he did the trilogy, but there's still room for a good score; hopefully better than KotCS, although really it just has to have some interesting underscore cues to be better than that.

I normally tolerate/enjoy trailer music but they've absolutely wrecked JW's theme with this cue. It's begging for someone to make a new soundtrack using the original cues.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, it's good to see the film has retained a sense of humour. Those Bond films have become far too self-serious and gritty.

I'm a little concerned Indy will die at the end of this. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing childhood heros dying in newer movies but it definitely has been a trend since about TFA.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Unless they're referring to when Indy makes a fateful telephone call :lol:

The German title, "Der Ruf des Schicksals", translates "dial" as "call", so the German translator probably only associated it with telephones…

At least in french Cadran is litteraly Dial, in the sense of "a face of a clock, watch, or sundial that is marked to show units of time."

In the french trailer Indy says he's the "Parrain" of Helena, so in the "religious" sense.

The Italian translation on wikipedia is "La ruota del destino", which means "The wheel of destiny". I don't know if it will be the official Italian title, though.

Maybe they mean some object similar to an old rotary dial, like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_dial 

(the younglings on the forum might not have ever seen that :P )

It's this?

image.png

Indy talks about "magic" in the trailer... after the Ark of the Covenant, the Sankara stones, the Holy Grail and the Aliens with big crystal skulls... a Dial to change the destiny...

Harry Potter, where are you? :lol: