Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

25 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's this?

image.png

Indy talks about "magic" in the trailer... after the Ark of the Covenant, the Sankara stones, the Holy Grail and the Aliens with big crystal skulls... a Dial to change the destiny...

Harry Potter, where are you? :lol:

I assume the similarity to the Antikythera mechanism is not a coincidence?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I just hope the MacGuffin isn't arbitrary.  It's no coincidence that in the two most beloved Indy films the MacGuffin is also integral to the movie thematically. 

Were the Sankara Stones arbitrary?

I think they are.  But then I'd struggle to come up with much in the way of overarching universal themes for that movie for the stones to be integral to reinforcing.  It's a fun adventure movie, don't get me wrong.

Why this looks worse than Crystal skull to me?

Too much CGI I think.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the John Williams score I wouldn't have any interest in seeing it.

I don't like seeing aged heroes from films I loved in my childhood.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Dials are nothing new in the Indiana Jones universe. Anyone who's played THE FATE OF ATLANTIS know what they're all about.

Indeed! 

B6F808E0-3DD0-458C-B795-CF0FF4B3D94A.png

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

As a fun experiment I spent about half an hour to see what would happen if Indy's Very First Adventure had scored this. Please forgive the slightly rough edits :) 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w59JuR6jbeGw8OPkgqYYgNaQRxK2fySE/view

(not sure how to embed, if even possible, sorry)

Fantastic work on this! Exactly what I was thinking Last Crusade’s score has this joyous globe trotting feel about it (more than any other Indy score) that really cuts to the heart of Indiana Jones. We’ll spotted with great synced moments!

26 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Why this looks worse than Crystal skull to me?

Too much CGI I think.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the John Williams score I wouldn't have any interest in seeing it.

I don't like seeing aged heroes from films I loved in my childhood.

Another factor I think this is the first Indiana shot digitally, with 4.5K Arri Alexa. And color grading looks weirdly "modern".

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The German title, "Der Ruf des Schicksals", translates "dial" as "call", so the German translator probably only associated it with telephones…

Same here in Brasil, The Call of Destiny, basically. Destiny calling Indy.

Though something could be lost in translation.

image.png

2 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Indeed! 

B6F808E0-3DD0-458C-B795-CF0FF4B3D94A.png

Thanks, Wamparat! I was just about to post an image from FATE OF ATLANTIS myself, since nobody gave any reaction whatsoever to my reference to that game's moon- and sundial elements. These young whippersnappers! ;)

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks, Wamparat! I was just about to post an image from FATE OF ATLANTIS myself, since nobody gave any reaction whatsoever to my reference to that game's moon- and sundial elements. These young whippersnappers! ;)

Man. I was never a gamer. But as a big Indy fan I would spend HOURS on that game. After watching some full walkthroughs of it online I realized I never made it that far. Only got to the hot air balloon over the desert 😄

12 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Man. I was never a gamer. But as a big Indy fan I would spend HOURS on that game. After watching some full walkthroughs of it online I realized I never made it that far. Only got to the hot air balloon over the desert 😄

In the 90s, I was a big gamer. I played FATE OF ATLANTIS three times, I think -- along with any and all Lucasarts and Sierra point-and-click adventures. I had somehow hoped that more people would remember the sundial thing, but I think my age comes into play again (I know that Jay always "hates it" when I say I'm older than most everyone else in this place, because he's almost my age, but it more often than not comes into play).

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There are several people who post regularly that are 5-15 years older than you Thor,

Yeah, I cling on to them like moths to a light. :D

6 hours ago, Damien F said:

I'm a little concerned Indy will die at the end of this. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing childhood heros dying in newer movies but it definitely has been a trend since about TFA.

Not possible, since The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles are canon and an even older Indiana Jones in his 90s is present.

image.png

image.png

What would be brilliant though is if Indy as played by Harrison Ford loses an eye in this. :)

Yavar

16 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Not possible, since The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles are canon and an even older Indiana Jones in his 90s is present.

image.png

image.png

What would be brilliant though is if Indy as played by Harrison Ford loses an eye in this. :)

Yavar

Yay, George Hall! Sucks he wasn't anywhere on the Young Indy DVDs. Well at least we still have "Remember WENN" streaming now, he was even better in RW. 

And the older Harrison gets, the more he does look like Old Indy. 

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

This looks a bit like that cipher disc from Uncharted 3 game.

Karol

You beat me to it! I hope this movie isn't as much of a disaster as that game was. I want it to be an Uncharted 2 or 4 and not an Uncharted 3!

image.png

I definitely wouldn't call Uncharted 3 a disaster. It's a slight step down from 2, slightly running out of steam towards the end, but still really enjoyable.

And yes, I also think the first one is the weakest. It has all the ingredients but the greatness isn't there yet.

Karol

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

image.png

image.png

Yavar

Sadly, I believe these aren't really canon anymore. If I recall, everything exclusively in the "Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" rerelease is canon.

22 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I definitely wouldn't call Uncharted 3 a disaster. It's a slight step down from 2, slightly running out of steam towards the end, but still really enjoyable.

And yes, I also think the first one is the weakest. It has all the ingredients but the greatness isn't there yet.

I loved UC3. The first one may be the weakest, but I think that also comes with the chronology. They were mostly very successful in improving the gameplay and narrative formulas with every new game, so naturally the first one isn't as good as those that built on it. The only thing that really bothers me in UC1 is that it's way too easy to jump into nothing during the climbing sequences, because the directional hints were not really perfected yet.

Also, UC3 has the best score in the series.

43 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Sadly, I believe these aren't really canon anymore. If I recall, everything exclusively in the "Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" rerelease is canon.

Whoever declared that? The filming of Young Indy was overseen by George Lucas himself, and I don’t believe he (or Disney later) ever declared the framing stories as “non-canon”, even if they opted to go with the edited-down-for-VHS-home-video versions, for pacing or whatever. It’s like like George Lucas ever rethought Indy surviving into old age…. As far as I’ve heard?

Yavar

6 hours ago, Thor said:

(I know that Jay always "hates it" when I say I'm older than most everyone else in this place, because he's almost my age, but it more often than not comes into play).

What? I have no idea what you're talking about here. Why do you think I think this way? 

50 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Didn't Disney suddenly decide a bunch of Star Wars books, games and other stories were no longer cannon? Why would they respect Indiana Jones any more than that?

uh… because just like with Star Trek, most of the books, games, and other side stories were never canon to begin with? They maintained continuity within themselves to a degree, but long before Disney came into the picture George Lucas himself contradicted a lot of them with the Prequel trilogy and the Clone Wars!

Filmed stuff is different and clearly on a more concrete level — and it’s always been that way.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

uh… because just like with Star Trek, most of the books, games, and other side stories were never canon to begin with? They maintained continuity within themselves to a degree, but long before Disney came into the picture George Lucas himself contradicted a lot of them with the Prequel trilogy and the Clone Wars!

Filmed stuff is different and clearly on a more concrete level — and it’s always been that way.

Yavar

On paper yeah, in practise though there was a lot of cross pollination between the films and the old Expanded Universe. The tier system was really more of a safety net so the films didn’t have to be slaves to pre-written canon, something that was reversed to great detriment post-Disney

As far as I can tell, there doesn’t seem to be much in the trailer from what I could guess to be from the final third of the film.

No hint of a big final set piece, only the train stuff at the beginning and the Tuk Tuk chase.

12 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

On paper yeah, in practise though there was a lot of cross pollination between the films and the old Expanded Universe. The tier system was really more of a safety net so the films didn’t have to be slaves to pre-written canon, something that was reversed to great detriment post-Disney

There still is cross pollination with the old Expanded Universe — just look at Timothy Zahn’s Grand Admiral Thrawn, who was in some animated Star Wars and seems poised to appear in live action for Ahsoka!

NOTHING new happened with the Disney takeover — they only continued doing what Lucas did before them on the prequels: ignore any of the complicated/convoluted/labyrinthine book series unless there was an element they particularly liked.

And anyone who expected them to do anything else was being insanely unrealistic and unreasonable.

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

There still is cross pollination with the old Expanded Universe — just look at Timothy Zahn’s Grand Admiral Thrawn, who was in some animated Star Wars and seems poised to appear in live action for Ahsoka!

NOTHING new happened with the Disney takeover — they only continued doing what Lucas did before them on the prequels: ignore any of the complicated/convoluted/labyrinthine book series unless there was an element they particularly liked.

And anyone who expected them to do anything else was being insanely unrealistic and unreasonable.

Yavar

Thrawn was so popular that Timothy Zahn has written several new novels since the Disney takeover that fleshes out Thrawn's backstory (slightly altered from the original story he'd worked out) and fits into the new continuity.  Under the old Heir to the Empire storyline, nobody knew Thrawn even existed until he returned from the Unknown Regions to take command of the remnants of the Empire about four years after the Battle of Endor.