Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Could this be true?

Harrison Ford’s final outing as Indiana Jones will be “emotional and exciting”.

The Hollywood star is well-known for his portrayal of the archaeologist and adventurer, and has agreed to reprise the role one last time. Indiana Jones 5 will begin shooting next year, and much of the plot line will be centred around the Bermuda Triangle, an area over the North Atlantic Ocean where a number of aircraft are said to have disappeared.

“George (Lucas) and Steven (Spielberg) have been working on a script and it's almost there," a source explained. “Harrison is on stand-by for filming next year. This looks like being an emotional and exciting conclusion to the franchise, with Indy facing his biggest challenge yet.”

The last film in the franchise, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was released in 2006. Shia LaBeouf played Indiana’s son Mutt Williams, and he will also appear in the new instalment.

Movie bosses have assured fans the film will stay true to the series’ roots, and won’t contain lots of state-of-the-art special effects.

“Shia LaBeouf has a central role again as Indy's son but this will be a blockbuster made in the old fashioned way rather than the CGI efforts of the last movie,” the source added.

Link: http://www.musicrooms.net/showbiz/8610-Harrison-Fords-Final-Outing-Indiana-Jones-Will-Emotional.html

Sounds interesting, and definetly great material for a great Williams score! If this is true, apparently the movie could be released on 2012, something Karen Allen has said before too.

Again, if true, they will probably start filming once "War Horse" is released... Interesting.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it was said the last film would be true to the original series before it was released and look what happened.

True, but this "source" also suggested this effort wouldn't retread KOTCS's mistakes.

I'll just wait and see what happens. I enjoyed KOTCS enough, despite its numerous flaws, so I'd imagine I'll enjoy the fifth film, too. If it honestly gets back to the greatness seen in Raiders, I'll be overjoyed, but I won't set myself up for disappointment by expecting it.

And as far as the setting goes...I think the Bermuda Triangle fits fairly well with the sort of mysteries Indy has explored in the past, but I do have some concerns about the setting. There's a certain danger of it feeling more like Archaeologists of the Caribbean, you know? :lol:

What's worrying is that the article says KotCS was released in 2006. That plus the anonymity of the source is stopping me from holding my breath. However, I love what the article is saying, and I really hope it is true!

"The last film in the franchise, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was released in 2006."

Crystal Skull was released in 2008, as pointed out in the comments of the original article.

Real or fake, that's just sloppy.

I don't want to see Indiana Jones become The Shootist. I don't want to see a man touching seventy jumping around doing 'stunts', it'd be embarrassing. However, I can't deny a tiny part of me is open to the idea of amending the wrongs of part four.

One of the few things that I think was much much stronger than anticipations for KotCS was Ford. He was definitely as energetic and spirited as he was in the previous flicks, and he definitely looked confident and like Indiana Jones in that outfit.

Agreed. He and the filmmakers handled his age well. They didn't try to ignore the fact that he's much older now, but they didn't turn him into a boring old geezer, either.

I hope not.

Me too. Careerwise, it's Harrison's way of saying, "OK, but just one last time." Storywise, its a bad move. Capping the character's timeline is always lame. I like wondering about what Indy did in the decades that follow. Killing Indy would be the worst idea since Kirk was killed in Generations.

They can't kill Indy, he loses an eye and lives to tell stories about his younger days.

Of course Lucas has shown in the past that established canon doesn't matter.

Actually, Old Indy has been deleted from the DVD release of Young Indiana Jones. Mark's comment about Lucas disregarding canon is 100% correct.

Bah! That was the whole reason I thought Indy IV was bereft of any tension. Indiana Jones could not be killed, so that he could survive to narrate his first "Young Adventures" highlight.

The man was tied to a pole as the power of God killed people before him, served in WWII, and escaped from a transmogrifying alien spacecraft. If they're gonna kill the character, they had better have a very, very convincing way and reason to do it.

You used to?

Ok, I never had any confidence on Indy 5 ROTFLMAO

I don't mind at all any disregard to canon, "canon" for me is the original trilogy and that's it anyway. I don't see what killing indy would add to the story, but I can see the character losing an eye. Hey, after all this, maybe it's time to have a scratch or something xD

I think the character of Indiana Jones should peacefully pass away sometime in his late 70s, after taking his grandchildren to the cinema and insisting that the man in a vest and bell-bottoms bears no resemblance.

I don't want to see Indiana Jones become The Shootist. I don't want to see a man touching seventy jumping around doing 'stunts', it'd be embarrassing. However, I can't deny a tiny part of me is open to the idea of amending the wrongs of part four.

What? It wasn't embarrassing watching a 65 year old man do "stunts" in KOTCS?

And The Shootist was actually a much better film.

They can't kill Indy, he loses an eye and lives to tell stories about his younger days.

And Spielberg has shown he doesn't have the guts to do things like that anymore.

As has been said, the article doesn't inspire much trust, but I wouldn't mind it if the contents (2006 typo aside) are true. I'm wondering what they would do with the Bermuda Triangle, though, if they just did aliens, unless they went with Atlantis or something. Then again, I haven't really brushed up on my Bermuda Triangle lore, so there may be another angle I'm unaware of.

The best chance Indy V has of success with the fans and in the context of the series is if Spielberg (I don't expect much from Lucas) is honest with himself and seriously evaluates where they went wrong with KOTCS. I'm ready to enjoy a film as inferior as KOTCS if it's as fun and enjoyable and has as much to like as that film did, but I'd really hope that they'd work that stuff out for this one.

It wasn't embarrassing watching a 65 year old man do "stunts" in KOTCS?

Nope. Harrison did a fine job. He looked like a 65-year-old Indiana Jones.

I agree

The best chance Indy V has of success with the fans and in the context of the series is if Spielberg (I don't expect much from Lucas) is honest with himself and seriously evaluates where they went wrong with KOTCS. I'm ready to enjoy a film as inferior as KOTCS if it's as fun and enjoyable and has as much to like as that film did, but I'd really hope that they'd work that stuff out for this one.

That really sums up my feelings quite well. ;)

And Spielberg has shown he doesn't have the guts to do things like that anymore.

;) Do you want Indy to die in Indy 5?

If done well I'm certainly not automatically against it. It could be a great, emotional ending. But Spielberg would never do it.

Of course my preferred option is that it doesn't get made period.

If done well I'm certainly not automatically against it. It could be a great, emotional ending. But Spielberg would never do it.

Of course my preferred option is that it doesn't get made period.

Fair enough. I feel that there are some boundaries with an Indy film as far as what they can/cannot do. Killing Indy...IMO that just destroys the lighthearted fun that the films always were, as well as the mythical quasi-superhero feel that Indy has always had.

And don't make Indy indestructible like in Indy 4. At least in the previous movies you were a bit worried about him sometimes

I heard the plot will involve Indy disappearing in the Bermuda Triangle, only to show up in newly shot footage for Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when the bottom of the ship opens up with Indy and a bunch of randoms walking out in a daze, where he meets Roy, who is actually Mutt, who changed his name and started a family throughout the 60's and 70's.

What? It wasn't embarrassing watching a 65 year old man do "stunts" in KOTCS?

And The Shootist was actually a much better film.

I think Ford just about pulled it off, in Indy IV. I actually think he was the only thing right about the movie. The Shootist is a very good film; but that kind of "emotional" approach would be all wrong for INDIANA JONES!

The believavble thing about the Bermuda Triangle hyphotesis is that sounds like the new excuse to not shooting the film outside of the USA. That was one of the many many little things that hurt KOTCS.

Spielberg said he probably won't shoot films like Indiana Jones outside the USA anymore, for "family" reasons. Ie: he's lazy and the shooting schedule of 'Munich' was a bitch.

Why would anyone give that article enough credibility to grant it a whole page's discussion?

Because John Williams isn't doing anything.

I think Ford just about pulled it off, in Indy IV. I actually think he was the only thing right about the movie. The Shootist is a very good film; but that kind of "emotional" approach would be all wrong for INDIANA JONES!

To me it almost reminded me of Ford's work in ROTJ, although he's more respectful to the character of Jones. He just looked tired and old. Even his first lines of dialogue sounded tired and lifeless and it had nothing to do with the scene.

There were only two moments which annoyed me (and made me cringe), as far as Ford was concerned: "Ike" and "Wubble-yous". Other than those complete misfires, I actually found Ford very funny and convincing.

Grrrr, Koepp.

True, but this "source" also suggested this effort wouldn't retread KOTCS's mistakes.

Like, making it at all, for instance?

Indy will discover Atlantis and stay there, with an emotional departing from his wife and son.

:lol:

It wasn't embarrassing watching a 65 year old man do "stunts" in KOTCS?

Nope. Harrison did a fine job. He looked like a 65-year-old Indiana Jones.

I agree

Furthermore Mr Ford did many of his stunts. And definately i do not remember any noticeable CGI stunt of him.

After watching the special features on the 2-disc DVD I was surprised that a lot of the shots that I thought were CG were in fact done practically.

I thought Ford did just fine as well, he was the least of the movie's problems.

I liked his performance; Ford was probably the best thing in the whole film. Too bad all the rest around him sucked.