Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

If I remember correctly, the fact that smoking occurs is pointed out in ratings in any film now, regardless of whether its G or R. It's just a policy they implemented some time back that it has to get listed in the MPA rating, hence why most films shy away from showing it at this point. It may have evolved to be a ratings consideration by its own at this point, but I believe if a character smokes in the film it will be listed regardless at this point.

On 09/03/2023 at 2:31 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Raiders would likely be a 12A if made today ... apart from what's already been mentioned, the likes of Toht's face melting and even some of the bullet impacts in the likes of the bar fight wouldn't be OK in a PG. 

The Surgeon General's smoking warning in the end credits of Licence To Kill always tickled me (although I believe it may have been because Lark cigarettes had product placement via the explosives trigger thingy disguised as a pack of smokes).

I mean, of all the potentially life-threatening things to single out in a Bond film ... :lol: .           

Ahem. 

So when are we expecting a normal trailer for this movie that is opening 15 weeks from now?

Are they waiting to attach it to The Little Mermaid in May?

• 2 weeks later...

In 7 weeks we'll have first reactions to JW's score! Would be a nice surprise if they released some tracks early to promote the score.

Disney must be extremely confident in the film if they're prepared to let early reactions spread for 6 weeks before wide release.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Disney must be extremely confident in the film if they're prepared to let early reactions spread for 6 weeks before wide release.

Well, KOTCS also released in Cannes back in 2008, so this news doesn’t mean much

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I wonder what Cannes thought of KOTCS?

As always with this kind of film, mostly positive with some mixed: http://www.filmdetail.com/2008/05/18/cannes-2008-reactions-indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull/

It’s hard to have an accurate reaction when you have the director and the crew presenting the film.. makes it harder to evaluate.

1 hour ago, saulocf said:

Well, KOTCS also released in Cannes back in 2008, so this news doesn’t mean much

but KOTCS opened wide right after its Cannes premiere (in the same week IIRC), whereas this one will open wide 6 weeks after its premiere, meaning there would be more than enough time for the word of mouth to "ferment". So I think there is at least some confidence from the studio. 

31 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and to make some last minute adjustments.

Out of curiosity, are there any Hollywood films (or major tentpoles, to narrow it down) having their theatrical version different from the premiere version because they were tweaked after the premiere?

8 minutes ago, Jaaaackified said:

Out of curiosity, are there any Hollywood films (or major tentpoles, to narrow it down) having their theatrical version different from the premiere version because they were tweaked after the premiere?

Well, apparently it happened with The Empire Strikes Back.

Kubrick made changes to 2001 before wide release after seeing how "restless" audiences were with the first cut's slow pace. As I recall, Netflix's Outlaw King had substantial changes made after the premiere. 

Then there are lots of examples of older films that had significant changes in editing the US vs. foreign market releases. 

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Well, apparently it happened with The Empire Strikes Back.

Kubrick made changes to 2001 before wide release after seeing how "restless" audiences were with the first cut's slow pace. 

Then there are lots of examples of older films that had significant changes in editing the US vs. foreign market releases. 

Not "apperently", Nick, it did.

THE EXORCIST II was being re-edited on an almost daily basis, after it's release.

Lean and/or Colombia made substantial cuts to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, after its release.

The USA and International versions of BLADE RUNNER are different. For further information, please see just about every other thread on JWfan, where we discuss this, ad fucking nauseam :lol:

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but i've re-watched the trailer a few times recently and I've warmed up to the initial shock/obvious fakeness of the de-aging.  That said, the scenes where Indy is old, Ford looks phenomenal.  Maybe I'm personally not used to the de-aging.  I don't think I've watched many with it, tbh.

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/infos-communiques/communique/articles/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-at-the-76th-festival-de-cannes

It is to the memorable music of John Williams, that James Mangold and Harrison Ford will climb the steps of the Palais des Festivals on May 18 alongside Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas, John Rhys-Davies, Toby Jones, Boyd Holbrook, Ethann Isidore and Mads Mikkelsen. An event that will mark the highly anticipated comeback of the famous adventurer in the Official Selection.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They'll probably play the march on loop...

That would be preferable imo.  It kind of hurt my first impression of the BFG score hearing it in pieces in the telecast background