Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

23 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Just catching up after Easter and cannot see where the actual trailer with it's trashy music is being discussed.

How was it trashy?  Who cares about trailer music anyway?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

I wonder what the Dial sounds like.

ZZZZZZzzzip! thip thip thip thip thip thip. ZZZZZZzzzip! thip thip. ZZZZZZzzzip! thip thip thip thip.

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

In all seriousness, the titular Dial theme is probably what I'm most anxious to hear. 

if the Dial DOES do the kind of things that's being suggested here and elsewhere i can imagine this sort of bubbling tension for a dial setpiece (at the end??), but not necesarily to punctuate the Dial through the movie. Is it going to be sinister, or beautiful? Who knows.

Maybe John won't even write a Dial theme and will just use the clock effect from Azkban over scenes set in the past.

Edit: Damn. I scrolled up and see someone already made this joke.

41 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Maybe John won't even write a Dial theme and will just use the clock effect from Azkban over scenes set in the past.

Edit: Damn. I scrolled up and see someone already made this joke.

Maybe he wrote the Dial version first.  

It’d be cool if he scored it like he did Winning By A Hair & The End Of Hook with the ticking sound effect coming from the orchestra. I’ve always thought those sections from Hook were so good.

45 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Just watched the trailer.

Depressing as hell. 

Here's the Luke Skywalkerization of Indiana Jones. 

"You made your mistakes".

Bah.

Another Blockbuster to skip.

but he... his arcs in the other movies... he

bah

46 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Just watched the trailer.

Depressing as hell. 

Here's the Luke Skywalkerization of Indiana Jones. 

"You made your mistakes".

Bah.

Another Blockbuster to skip.

It's your destiny to watch it.

44 minutes ago, Brónach said:

he's experienced with... whatever this movie wants to make him experienced with, that's the point.

i've never understood the "he's too old" complaints since 2007... it gets to a point where it actually makes it interesting IN THEORY. You just have to make the movie about it and around it. Like you could play up the noirish elements from Raiders that were probably toned down once they saw they had to shoot the film really really fast. Specially since every entry appears to come from a different tonal reality. The tone is very important in these movies, but more internally that externally following the other ones.

Also, he's also an academic. It's funny how this gets memory-holed. Make him effing weird in old age.

In the 50s and 60s the invented superheroes as overpowered super being. who were able to fight for hours with super strenght.

In the 80s there came these muscle men like Sly and Arnie who hat this super punch.

When these men grew old, they overpowered old men like Liam Neeson, old Bruce Willis, even Sean Penn and several others. 

Recently with the new equal rights movement also women can push any guy for several meters by one punch, which is all fine.

But I expect in the next ten years a new series of action movies with babies, like Boss Baby, and other little children having these superpowers in movies.

I guess, that is a matter of faireness, that in movies anyone can be as strong as anyone and has the right and gets the abbility to punch and win over bad guys to justify violence as appropriate tool for resolving any kind of conflict.

That duel is actually very good.

The other duel (also without lightsabers clashing) has a good set, and a fun concept to go from point a to point b, and some fun little moments to integrate into it. The only problem here is the choreography is really bad.

Agreed but on first watch one doesn't notice it too much. :)

I really do appreciate how Rian Johnson tried to do something different with his film, even if some elements worked out better than others. Return of the Jedi was also a mixed bag, but more derivative of the original. In my opinion The Last Jedi, despite its faults, is actually the best Star Wars film since the first two. I really wish Johnson had been given the entire trilogy and time to plan it out, rather than having to work with what JJ Abrams left him (not that I hated all of The Force Awakens, but JJ really backed him into a corner when it came to the character of Luke), and then having Abrams discard many of his good ideas (like having Rey *not descend from some powerful force user we already know*... sigh).

Yavar

yes because the conclusion to the set piece (i really love the opening wide shot of the fight, the idea is good, the problem is technical) has such a good conclusion where the bastard tries to put her down, and she overcomes the internal obstacle, and i thought "good, now we can move on from this plot into something else, whatever it is". but nooo, we have to complicate it more!

edit: oh no, this is the Indy thread, I'm sorry

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Oh, you're right. A character should be exactly the same person in their 70s as they were in their 30s. No arcs please! :rolleyes:

Personally I thought Luke/Rey/Kylo in TLJ was easily the biggest highlight of the entire messy sequel trilogy.

9z58scj8izl01.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e7c3bcf

Luke-vs-Kylo.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=2900fd95

With shots like this I don't need the lightsabers to clash, lol...

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=740fd7591f2cd6a

Sure he had a journey to get there (which I found compelling!), but Luke was friggin' BADASS at end of The Last Jedi... and I don't understand why so many people were up in arms about it, frankly.

Yavar

The fact that luke dies, at least for me. It is a silly death too

21 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

He's not really dead if we remember him and talk about him.

21 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It is a silly death too

He's a complex character.

15 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I mean... Yoda just dies, in the original trilogy. It makes even less sense because he hasn't just exerted himself in any particular way, like Luke did at the end of TLJ. In The Empire Strikes Back Yoda has clearly just been chillin' on Dagobah for decades...after living for centuries. He's still clearly spry (more spry than he lets on at first, even though he's not bouncing around like Sonic the Hedgehog like he was in AotC or RotS, set a few decades previously -- a small fraction of his total lifespan). So how come less than a year later he's on his deathbed randomly like the very evening Luke comes to visit him? It's because he decided to become one with the Force, I guess... but it's at least as silly of a death as Luke's, for a being whose lifespan is like 10x that of a human!

And heck even in the original Star Wars, I'd say Obi-Wan Kenobi's death is "silly" too. He just stops fighting Vader, raises his lightsaber, and lets himself be cut in half (or vanishes and becomes one with the Force a split second beforehand?) He didn't need to stop fighting, in order to let the others get away. In fact he probably could have caused more distraction and helped the others if he had kept fighting Vader and tried to take out a few stormtroopers while he was at it! Why is that fine with fans, as a mystical moment of the old sage moving aside so his young protege can take his place in the story, but Luke doing essentially the same thing (but with more story justification) for Rey is somehow offensive to all that is Star Wars, for half of the fandom?

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Brando said:

It's all silly when you stop and think about it, and that's why I love it!

Yeah I hear you, but how do you explain the people who are upset/up in arms about Luke's "silly" death, but are seemingly okay with the deaths of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda?

Yavar

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean... Yoda just dies, in the original trilogy. It makes even less sense because he hasn't just exerted himself in any particular way, like Luke did at the end of TLJ. In The Empire Strikes Back Yoda has clearly just been chillin' on Dagobah for decades...after living for centuries. He's still clearly spry (more spry than he lets on at first, even though he's not bouncing around like Sonic the Hedgehog like he was in AotC or RotS, set a few decades previously -- a small fraction of his total lifespan). So how come less than a year later he's on his deathbed randomly when Luke comes to visit him? It's because he decided to become one with the Force, I guess... but it's at least as silly of a death as Luke's, for a being whose lifespan is like 10x that of a human!

And heck even in the original Star Wars, I'd say Obi-Wan Kenobi's death is "silly" too. He just stops fighting Vader, raises his lightsaber, and lets himself be cut in half (or vanishes and becomes one with the Force a split second beforehand?) He didn't need to stop fighting, in order to let the others get away. In fact he probably could have caused more distraction and helped the others if he had kept fighting Vader and tried to take out a few stormtroopers while he was at it! Why is that fine with fans, as a mystical moment of the old sage moving aside so his young protege can take his place in the story, but Luke doing essentially the same thing (but with more story justification) for Rey is somehow offensive to all that is Star Wars, for half of the fandom?

Yavar

Yoda does mention that he is sick.  

True, I dont like obi wan saying that if he dies he will be very powerful… when the only thing he does is give directions…. He does not even train luke properly.

Yodas death is of natural causes. Not silly at all. Its convenient story wise, but it is completely feasible.