Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

I hope he got paid at least $100 million (I wish). He absolutely deserves it. 

The trilogy tap into well-established mythical ancient artifacts that already have centuries of background to them in various literature. KOCS taps into debunked hoaxes and racist conspiracy theories. DOD apparently taps into... a thing that was found?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

The trilogy tap into well-established mythical ancient artifacts that already have centuries of background to them in various literature. KOCS taps into debunked hoaxes and racist conspiracy theories.

I don’t know about the Crystal Skull’s being “racist”, but I do agree that it’s all based on rubbish paranormal, pseudoscientific conspiracy theories, as opposed to the ancient and grounded religious artifacts, all based on well-established myth, in the first three films.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

DOD apparently taps into... a thing that was found?

No comment, as this is a spoiler-free zone. ;)

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I don’t know about the Crystal Skull’s being “racist”,

Maybe not that much within the movie but there's an underlying element of "stupid brown people couldn't have built all that, it must have been aliens!" to the concept.

imo the whole grail stuff is not that old. it's merely medieval literature.

as for Temple "being based on things", bah, grumble, grumble, sigh

interestingly, UFO lore and usamerican UFO lore in particular seems to be about 80% the same as a lot of late 19th century early 20th century Irish folklore (probably also British, I'm just less familiar with that), so there was that way to ground it into something (also medieval); however, Spielberg had already done that point by point...

52 minutes ago, Holko said:

Maybe not that much within the movie but there's an underlying element of "stupid brown people couldn't have built all that, it must have been aliens!" to the concept.

Meh. They say the same thing about Stonehenge. 

On 26/05/2023 at 5:58 AM, Holko said:

I think you've been sipping too many soy lattes.

On 26/5/2023 at 5:58 AM, Holko said:

Huh? Where the hell did you get that from?

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

I think you've been sipping too many soy lattes.

Much of popular pseudo-archeology and ancient alien bullshit in particular has obvious racist overtones whether you want to admit it or not. The Indiana Jones films do perpetuate these cultural ideas, but that said, I wouldn’t call them major offenders in terms of spreading racist ideas (well arguably Temple of Doom might be…). They’re just modern serial adventures and can comfortably be described as “mostly harmless.” IMO, of course.

28 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Pseudo archeology and ancient alien bullshit in particular has obvious racist overtones whether you want to admit it or not.

Sounds like a typical social justice warrior comment (who are experts at finding something "problematic" with almost every movie ever made).

And Temple of Doom was one of the best movie theatrical experiences in my life. I kind of feel  bad for people who can't enjoy these movies for what they are because they're too obsessed in finding racism, sexism or something phobic in everything.

I'm just now reminded of Quinton Reviews videos on those History Channel programs, with the point that these conspiracy theorists unintentionally imply that people of color got all the cool alien shit and white folk didn't :lol:

53 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Sounds like a typical social justice warrior comment (who are experts at finding something "problematic" with almost every movie ever made).

And Temple of Doom was one of the best movie theatrical experiences in my life. I kind of feel  bad for people who can't enjoy these movies for what they are because they're too obsessed in finding racism, sexism or something phobic in everything.

Oh yeah? Well yours was the half-baked response of someone who hates seeing discrimination criticized and yet feels they have the moral high ground over people who are actually brave enough to address such issues. It is just as important to talk about racism, sexism, homophobia and general bigotry today as it ever was and it’s disgusting that so many people insist on sticking their fingers in their ears so they can pretend these problems don’t exist.

I believe Holko was discussing Crystal Skull. Temple of Doom gets flack for portraying Indians as savages who eat monkey brains.

I always saw the ToD supper scene as people from a different culture who eat things we're not accustomed to and might appear gross to us, and that's what made the scene funny. Not sure what's racist about it. But It appears you have a much broader definition of what racism is than I do.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

It is just as important to talk about racism, sexism, homophobia and general bigotry today as it ever was and it’s disgusting that so many people insist on sticking their fingers in their ears so they can pretend these problems don’t exist.

Whatever, watching movies and playing video games with this mindset doesn't sound like fun.

I didn't say the movie is explicitly racist, I said it had much different and weaker inspirations than the previous ones.

39 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

The notion that one can still be appreciative of a work in spite of having cultural issues with it is apparently difficult to believe for some.

Well, if your able  see it in a more detached ,analytical way, and still enjoy the movie, I guess at the end of the day you don't really care that stuff is in there and just acknowledge it. But if some of these things start offending you on a personal level to the point of making you feel uncomfortable, that probably makes the movie much less enjoyable.

35 minutes ago, Holko said:

I didn't say the movie is explicitly racist, I said it had much different and weaker inspirations than the previous ones.

KotC is a pretty shit movie, but for many more reasons than the supposed racist undertones. I guess we can agree on that.

27 minutes ago, King Mark said:

KotC is a pretty shit movie, but for many more reasons than the supposed racist undertones. I guess we can agree on that.

Of course. While watching I hate it because while it's an awful looking meh/okay adventure movie, it's an awful looking crap Indy movie.

7 hours ago, King Mark said:

who are experts at finding something "problematic" with almost every movie ever made.

look some people are just not myopic

4 hours ago, HunterTech said:

The notion that one can still be appreciative of a work in spite of having cultural issues with it is apparently difficult to believe for some.

this happens to me a lot. there's lots of stuff that i like in the skill of it and that can make me talk or learn about the medium, that at the same time can carry dumn political inertia or intentional things (those are different) or subtle or overt stuff (those are different) at the same time. i call this "good stuff but ugh" because i don't have a word for this.

unfortunately the myopia people sometimes try to prop up the "ugh stuff and ugh" into "good stuff but ugh", which is pretty ridiculous imo. not anything can manage to become "good stuff but ugh" under normal circumstances.

Kingdom for example is not "good stuff but ugh" at all. Temple has elements of "good stuff" among the ugh. That's why Temple is actually frustrating, but one has to make an effort to reemember the existence of Kingdom.

7 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I'm just now reminded of Quinton Reviews videos on those History Channel programs, with the point that these conspiracy theorists unintentionally imply that people of color got all the cool alien shit and white folk didn't :lol:

Hey, again, the aliens built Stonehenge for the white folk! And they gave us Tom Cruise.

7 hours ago, HunterTech said:

the aliens gave us all that music stuff i guess

I recently saw a documentry about the Indiana Jones series which quite clearly described that Indiana Jones stood from the very beginning in the footsteps of a highly colonialistic and racist genre of adventure movies from the 30s, 40s and 50s. 

I mean , think about, by today's standards: Travel around the world, get some statue out of a temple, take it home and put it into your local museum. Not possible anymore.

They do it with fossils, and they do it in war.

does "Raiders" work as some sort of redemption story? i kind of always get that vibe with that one. "Temple" even verbalizes something similar but different, but it gets a bit muddled

10 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Those look AI generated

Awful

Chances are, they probably were AI generated indeed. After all, Disney needs to cut costs and good designers are expensive.