Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

21 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I remember going to see Ice Age The Meltdown and I was so afraid somebody would have a meltdown in the theater that I decided to watch Dark Knight Rises instead 

How did you manage to find a theater playing a 2006 movie in 2012? ;)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If we see a de-aged Ford, I wonder if we'll get to see a de-aged Allen, and Abner Ravenwood?

Unlikely. The prologue is in the II world war, Abner was dead in raiders and indy left marion one or two years after raiders. They met for the first time again in kotcs.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Absolutely, totally with you. If it was up to me - 

The concession stands wouldn't sell 'noise-making' food. 

The auditoriums would have phone-jamming tech installed (sorry, but if you're in some sort of 'potential emergency' situation where you need to be constantly reachable then what are you even DOING at the movies? And social media can wait until the film is over before hearing your doubtless amazing insights on it). 

Talking would get you thrown out without a refund. 

Babies shouldn't be allowed in to anything other than specified parent and baby screenings, because otherwise they inevitably freak out at some point and start screaming the place down.    

And on that theme ... kids wouldn't be allowed to have massive-sized soft drinks that their undersized bladders can't cope with, then they wouldn't need to be taken out to the toilet every fifteen fucking minutes. 

No admission after the movie has started. Get there on time or forget it, dickhead.  

Reacting to the content of the movie itself is of course absolutely fine. But everything I've detailed above isn't, and utterly boils my piss.  

13 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Not sure if you've experienced an Alamo Drafthouse.... people always say "omg it's the best they don't take shit from anyone"

It's just absolutely false.

To report someone you can only do a warning. And each time the person needs to come grab your card. Also the ordering food while a movie is going on will never not be cringe to me.

Maybe alamo used to be different, but my last experience in NYC, 2018, during Midsommar, was easily the worst theater experience I've ever had.

I swear I'm not as lame as these posts make it out to seem, but holy fuck, an annoying theater experience is probably my biggest pet peeve in the world.

1000% agree with you two. The one time I went to an Alamo Drafthouse, it was to see an Ultraman double feature. I always heard how strict they were. 

During the entire movie people were talking out loud. Not even whispering a lot. They were using normal conversation voice. Nobody said anything to them, much less threw them out. Then you have these waiters coming up to you constantly standing in front of you asking if you need anything. The one time I didn't want to be waited on they were in your face all the time.

The whole thing felt like an elaborate joke or scam. It was wild! 

By way of balance, here are some screenings at which I recall I either had the auditorium completely or almost completely to myself and it was bliss (I think they were either late afternoon weekdays or Sunday morning) - 

Popstar : Never Stop Never Stopping
Lego Batman Movie
Get Out
Jackass Forever
The most recent Scream movie
Violent Night 

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

If it was up to me - 

The auditoriums would have phone-jamming tech installed (sorry, but if you're in some sort of 'potential emergency' situation where you need to be constantly reachable then what are you even DOING at the movies? And social media can wait until the film is over before hearing your doubtless amazing insights on it). 

Babies shouldn't be allowed in to anything other than specified parent and baby screenings, because otherwise they inevitably freak out at some point and start screaming the place down.    

And on that theme ... kids wouldn't be allowed to have massive-sized soft drinks that their undersized bladders can't cope with, then they wouldn't need to be taken out to the toilet every fifteen fucking minutes. 

No admission after the movie has started. Get there on time or forget it, dickhead.  

Reacting to the content of the movie itself is of course absolutely fine. But everything I've detailed above isn't, and utterly boils my piss.  

Funny, I've read that apparently these were Leni Riefenstahl's rules at her screenings!

Looks like Indy 5 will be the 8th most expensive movie ever made, at a production budget alone of almost 300 million.

32 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Looks like Indy 5 will be the 8th most expensive movie ever made, at a production budget alone of almost 300 million.

It's all that CG we saw in the trailer...plus Harrison Ford's fee...plus CG Harrison Ford.

51 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

LC cost $40,000,000, and it is one of the cheapest, shoddiest-looking films I've ever seen.

KS cost $175,000,000 and it is one of the cheapest, shoddiest-looking films I've ever seen.

ROTLA cost $16,000,000, and it is one of the best-looking films I've ever seen.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

LC cost $40,000,000, and it is one of the cheapest, shoddiest-looking films I've ever seen.

KS cost $175,000,000 and it is one of the cheapest, shoddiest-looking films I've ever seen.

ROTLA cost $16,000,000, and it is one of the best-looking films I've ever seen.

Agree with two of these. Aside from a couple dodgy effects shots (even for their time), I think LC looks great.  

On the other hand, I really didn't care for the look of the Dial of Destiny trailer...it has the same slick, overly processed look that you saw in Jungle Cruise, along with as pretty much every Disney film these day, which all manage to look expensive and cheap at the same time.

I wonder if DoD will hit 1 billion. At first I was sceptical since the four Indy films have grossed 1.4 billion total, but given that half of that was earned by KOTCS, I think it's possible.

A few of the visual effects shods are not up to ILM's usual standards, understandable because they were stretched to their limit in the summer of 1989.

But we're talking mere seconds out of a 2 hour+ film, which otherwise looks great.  Slocombe gave each film an awesome look

Turns out I've seen a lot of films he shot - Wild Palms, Cool Runnings, Bio-Dome, American's Sweethearts, Moonlight Mile, Identity, Sideways, The Weather Man, Walk the Line, 3:10 to Yuma, Knight and Day, The Descendants, This is 40, The Monuments Men, Downsizing, Ford V Ferarri, Trial of the Chicago 7.  And many films he shot I haven't seen, I've been meaning to see.

He's had a good career!

I've seen a lot of these films also, and given what he did in Monuments Men in particular, I think he's well suited for this job. He also did lovely work in Sideways. I just hope if Spielberg forced him to try to copy Slocombe's style he was more successful at it than Kamiński....who managed to make KOTCS look just like every other Spielberg film he shot.

12 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

yes-oh-god-yes.gif

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

How hands-on do we think Spielberg was in the making of this film?

He was working on Fabelmans for most of 2021 and into 2022, some overlap with their productions so he probably wasn't around much for Indy 5 while it was shooting. He might be hanging around more during post since he's not been directing anything. I'm sure he's attending as many of the scoring sessions as he can just to hear the magic. 

21 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

When I saw Avatar again last week, there was a father with two young children sat about 3 seats away from me, who made it about 30 minutes into the film before their attention spans disappeared and they started kicking the seats in front of them. The father completely ignored them for at least 10 minutes, and then proceeded to take a huge ipad out of his bag, with the screen on maximum brightness for the entire cinema to see, and his kids began playing games...with the sound on. After telling them to politely stfu (I said exactly that), the kids stopped playing, BUT THEN the father actually, yes, this is true, got out his phone and made a fu**ing phone call mid film... and was talking louder and louder whenever the film got louder, because of course how disrespectful of James Cameron to make his film too loud for him to hear his conversation. I was absolutely blood-boilingly insane that I would've happily spent my life in prison to silence this man for the rest of time.

I almost became a murderer when I was seeing Rise of Skywalker at a Dolby Cinema theater and the guy next to me was taking pictures of his lap (with the flash on)

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Mangold has said he was a frequent sounding board during all stages of production. He also visited the set at least once.

I liked this piece of advice he shared:

"Steven said to me, It's a movie that's a trailer from beginning to end — always be moving.'”

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

When I saw Avatar again last week, there was a father with two young children sat about 3 seats away from me, who made it about 30 minutes into the film before their attention spans disappeared and they started kicking the seats in front of them. The father completely ignored them for at least 10 minutes, and then proceeded to take a huge ipad out of his bag, with the screen on maximum brightness for the entire cinema to see, and his kids began playing games...with the sound on. After telling them to politely stfu (I said exactly that), the kids stopped playing, BUT THEN the father actually, yes, this is true, got out his phone and made a fu**ing phone call mid film... and was talking louder and louder whenever the film got louder, because of course how disrespectful of James Cameron to make his film too loud for him to hear his conversation. I was absolutely blood-boilingly insane that I would've happily spent my life in prison to silence this man for the rest of time.

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I almost became a murderer when I was seeing Rise of Skywalker at a Dolby Cinema theater and the guy next to me was taking pictures of his lap (with the flash on

https://tenor.com/bZIue.gif

4 hours ago, Alex said:

We will know if and when he takes out a full page ad in Variety and the Hollywood Reporter defending and praising Mangold and wishing him well on his future work. 

10 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Had someone along my seating row take a call in the middle of the first Iron Man. Had a staff member shining a torch down various seating rows during a screening of Valkyrie in order to help someone locate something they'd left behind at the previous one, like it couldn't have fucking waited until afterwards. 

And that was me done with Saturday afternoon screenings. 

23 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I completely agree with you but if these rules were enforced, I'm afraid movie theatres would go bankrupt.

I only try to go to my local arthouse art gallery cinema. Just pretentious enough a building that common idiots and kids don't go there. So you are probably guaranteed a 80% chance of a moron-free experience. If I have to go to my local bigger cinema for films the arthouse doesn't show, then it's a 100% moron experience

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I only try to go to my local arthouse art gallery cinema. Just pretentious enough a building that common idiots and kids don't go there. So you are probably guaranteed a 80% chance of a moron-free experience. If I have to go to my local bigger cinema for films the arthouse doesn't show, then it's a 100% moron experience

If at all feasible, I recommend going to the bigger cinema at off-peak times ... not too many morons at Sunday morning screenings. But yeah, I had the choice of 2 local multiplexes or an arthouse cinema for The Fabelmans and I chose the latter.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If only Moore had retired from Bond, after MOONRAKER. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY with Lewis Collins would have been awesome.

Am happy enough that FYEO was still Moore, it's one of my favourites of his (and he's still more or less pulling it off (oo-er) convincingly ... for instance, at least some of the climb to St. Cyril's is being done by him). I think he intended to move on after FYEO, but after hearing of Never Say Never Again Cubby decided (understandably) that he didn't want a newbie Bond (who apparently would've been, somewhat implausibly, James Brolin) in Octopussy attempting to compete with Connery.    

Our local cinema on sunny Guernsey is tiny and terrible, four screens, only one of which has more than about 50 seats. If that. I saw The Fabelmans with my partner and my parents last weekend. We had the screening to ourselves. I talked over the entire thing so we got the proper cinema experience :wink:

My best recent cinema going experience was seeing Matilda (which is bloody terrific, go see it or watch it on Netflix) at the Printworks cinema in central Manchester. Super comfortable seats (they reclined and had a foot rest), massive screen and great sound. It meant nobody could see/hear me tearing up during When I Grow Up… 

21 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

On the other hand, I really didn't care for the look of the Dial of Destiny trailer...it has the same slick, overly processed look that you saw in Jungle Cruise, along with as pretty much every Disney film these day, which all manage to look expensive and cheap at the same time.

This is the same guy who did Ford v. Ferrari, right? Something about that movie and the way it looks felt super slick and overly processed to the point that it was extremely distracting. Everyone looked like they were stiff dolls, almost like if you shook them too hard all the makeup would crack and they'd crumble into pieces, or their perfect suits would rip in half.  It's the first thing I think about when the movie comes up. Maybe because it was so distracting that I couldn't focus on the plot. We'll see if Indy is the same. The trailer wasn't promising visually. 

16 hours ago, Alex said:

I always assumed the executive producer thing was just a formal way ($$) of giving his blessing since this is the first Indy to not be directed by Spielberg. Sort of a way of making it so that the audience wouldn't get nervous by the change after all these years. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

@Tom GuernseyGoogle tells me that must be The Mallard. I wouldn't have expected there to also be one on Alderney, given that it's an even smaller island again. 

Yes indeed, that’s the one! Last year I got a Facebook “memory” from 10 years prior when a Cineworld was promised next to an office development. This was about 10 years after the original promise to build such a cinema. I think this may never happen…

Alderney does indeed have a cinema. I honestly have no idea what it’s like but I’m guessing it’s like a small room with a 4K projector and Blu-ray play! I bet the audience members are quiet though. 

18 hours ago, Alex said:

Actually, if Harrison Ford and other reports are to be believed, he was intimately involved.  Apparently he had input every step of the way, and was on set frequently.  Not that it was anywhere close to a Poltergeist situation, or that he told Mangold what to do, but it doesn't surprise me at all Spielberg would want a hand in it well beyond the traditional role of EP, especially given that Lucas apparently isn't involved at all.