Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I guarantee nothing in this movie will be worse than Mutt swinging through the jungle like Tarzan

Tru, dat.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Statistically, most of us will be dead by then. 

I don't know about you, but I plan on living beyond June 30.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Harrison Ford is 80.  Statistically, most of us will be dead by then.  It is okay if he did not do any major stunts.  

Which is why the film probably shouldn't be made in its current state in the first place. If your character is so old, you need a stunt man and CGI for every scene, that is telling you something. 

9 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

The trailer has a bit more face replacements going on than what's talked about (at least it looks like a fully CGI face). I guess they deemed swinging the whip too dangerous for Ford?

322274364_702588501580113_620513430259574365_n.png 324975396_2067595703431441_7898544367386124029_n.png

Good, that original one looked like a character from The Polar Express.

6 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Unbenannt-1.gif

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but this looks very CG-head-y to me, especially the unflinching eyes.

Yep that is unmistakably CGI. Pretty sure Shark was just trolling.

8 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yep that is unmistakably CGI. Pretty sure Shark was just trolling.

I really can't tell that's CGI. If Ford looks like a dead character from The Polar Express it might be because he's 80.

6 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

It's only a videogame if you can play it.

It's a videogame played by the director... and we watch him play.

I recently saw Dr Strange in the whateverse... those movies are just a succession of fake scenes triggering no emotion, because we know everything is fake.

Sadly, that's the reality of modern action movies.

10 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

This thread is miserable.

Of course you're going to notice the CGI if you post still-frames and slow-mo gifs. Reminds me of all those dismal Youtube video essay "critics".

You have a point. But there's no getting away from the fact that this is the sort of thing that arises when an action hero is being played by an 80 year old.  

I have absolutely zero issue with CGI. The problem is when you don't allocate enough time for them. Don't get me wrong, the CGI in this trailer are not bad by any mean and it is just a trailer, they might very well not be final. But the thing is they are not great either. All wide angle shots have that Marvel, washed-out, fake look and the images look super processed. I won't prevent me from liking (or disliking) the movie. But still. Yes, it looks less grounded than other movies with as much CGI. 

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

You have a point. But there's no getting away from the fact that this is the sort of thing that arises when an action hero is being played by an 80 year old.  

Mutt: "What are you? Like 80?"

Mutt knew something we didn't....

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

what if though.....what if Indy 5 sucks....

and KOTCS becomes the best Indy movie of the last 20 years. :lol:

Unfortunately, KOTCS is already the best Indy movie of the last twenty years.

On 14/02/2023 at 9:38 AM, Laserschwert said:

I don't even complain, as I am really looking forward to this film.

My only hope is that it's better than KOTCS, but I'm not overly optimistic. 

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

what if though.....what if Indy 5 sucks....

and KOTCS becomes the best Indy movie of the last 20 years. :lol:

Entirely possible!

I imagine it's going to go exactly how Star Wars went. Disney fans are going to love it, most people will think it was a pretty fun time, and hardcore Indy folk are going to think it is soulless and a mistake letting someone that's not Spielberg and Lucas involved, and find a newfound fondness for Crystal Skull.

Poor KOTCS. So much vitriol, invective and vituperation aimed at a movie that made for better viewing than 90% of what the studios have been shoveling into theaters every summer for the past 15 years. (The remaining 10% being mostly M:I movies, if memory serves.)

Leave… KOTCS… alone!!

1 minute ago, Bayesian said:

Poor KOTCS. So much vitriol, invective and vituperation aimed at a movie that made for better viewing than 90% of what the studios have been shoveling into theaters every summer for the past 15 years. (The remaining 10% being mostly M:I movies, if memory serves.)

Leave… KOTCS… alone!!

I fucking love Crystal Skull!

Argh.

If the last two posts are any indication of the Crystal Skull lovefest that this thread will become, then I'll do with it the same thing I do with most Star Wars threads: just ignore it.

KOTCS is one of the least deserving movies of the "actually, it's underrated" treatment.

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

KOTCS is one of the least deserving movies of the "actually, it's underrated" treatment.

I don't think it's underrated.

But I do agree it's better than a lot of other blockbusters that came out at the time and since. The story and dialogue are garbage, but it's competently made, and Spielberg's worst efforts are miles ahead of most directors' best in the action/adventure genre. I'll never consider it a good movie though, because it should have been much better than it was.

37 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

I'll never consider it a good movie though, because it should have been much better than it was.

I think this is what frustrates people most about Indy 4. They had all the ingredients to make the best Indiana Jones film ever, yet all they could manage was half-baked mediocrity.

It's almost entirely the fault of the script.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Argh.

If the last two posts are any indication of the Crystal Skull lovefest that this thread will become, then I'll do with it the same thing I do with most Star Wars threads: just ignore it.

You gotta realize how many people on the raven forums that almost made a personality out of hating KOTCS. It got tiresome. But you should def ignore stuff you don't like. I haven't even seen rise of Skywalker....ya know?

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Argh.

It's with absolutely no hyperbole that I say I consider KOTCS to be Spielberg's worst movie, relatively speaking. And in any event, the quicksand scene has got to be the most embarrassing thing The Baseball Cap has ever filmed.

That said, is it better than a lot of blockbusters being released today? Of course. But that's a very low bar.  Part of what makes the film so bad is the outstanding pedigree of the director (and the franchise).

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

It's with absolutely no hyperbole that I say I consider KOTCS to be Spielberg's worst movie

Lincoln. 

That movie is just a circle jerk of DDL giving monologues with a slow zoom in.

Oh and the BFG.

KOTCS mops the floor with those movies

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

Lincoln. 

That movie is just a circle jerk of DDL giving monologues with a slow zoom in.

Oh and the BFG.

KOTCS mops the floor with those movies

Well I suppose that out of 35 films Spielberg has directed, if you can only list two better than KOTCS, I'll consider us more or less in agreement. ;) 

Just now, Bellosh said:

Fair.

I'd rather read a book on Lincoln tbh. I swear Spielberg just wanted to direct Daniel Day Lewis and that was the only reason that film got made

I enjoyed Lincoln, though I agree that it can be a bit of slog, and was mostly a showcase for Daniel Day Lewis. I also think Spielberg was (understandably) enamoured with Goodwin's book, and perhaps overestimated how engaging a film this small chapter in Lincoln's life would make.

IMO it would have worked better as the limited series Spielberg considered making.

3 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

The reaction to Indy 5 will be the same no matter how well made a movie it turns out to be.

So....why not spend the budget of the reshoots on re-shooting Indy 4?

"What are you, like 80?"

"Yes."  

I mean KOTCS isn't on the same level as Lincoln, lemme just preface that.

I'm sorry I just couldn't stand Lincoln. In no way did it make me more interested in the person and life of Abe. It just felt like Hollywood "dress up" and then once the scene is over everybody behind the camera pretends to be in awe. When in reality it's just some shit accent. Just putrid shit I don't care for in movies.

The score is a good listen though ☺️

The score is the only thing I like about Lincoln.

Aside from John Williams' touching music, we have a well acted drama that probably will put everyone who is not actively studying American history to sleep.

This may be a hot take, but I think I prefer RP1.

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I love when he's talking about the Washington toilet story and it cuts to his portrait on the wall like a reaction shot

Can't even tell if you're joking cause I haven't seen it in so long lol