Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

13 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I thought Stu was a Bridge of Spies guy?

Or does he just like all of Spielberg's boring movies?

On 15/11/2022 at 3:08 PM, Disco Stu said:

Of the last 15 years, Lincoln ... [is one] of my favorite movies of all time, Spielberg or not.  But it is true that nothing else he's made in that period has come close... for me.

On 18/01/2023 at 1:09 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'd consider trading one of my children to a dark wizard that could change our timeline to the one where we got a 6 hour Lincoln series by Spielberg and Kushner.

My ranking of Spielberg's post-Schindler's List "based on real facts" important dramas is something like this:

1. Munich
  2. Saving Private Ryan
  3. Catch Me If You Can
  4. Bridge of Spies
  5. War Horse (a very underrated movie)
  6. The Terminal
  7. The Post
  8. Lincoln

Haven't seen Amistad yet.

None of those are better than Empire of the Sun, though. But I do like the first 6 of the ranking. Also, they all have great scores.

I think Bridge of Spies is a masterpiece.

What I love what he did with Bridge of Spies is that there really is no main character at times (and it doesn't hurt that Tom Hanks finally isn't doing some dopey accent). He lets the story be the main character.  And it's a story worth telling.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

I think Bridge of Spies is a masterpiece.

What I love what he did with Bridge of Spies is that there really is no main character at times (and it doesn't hurt that Tom Hanks finally isn't doing some dopey accent). He lets the story be the main character.  And it's a story worth telling.

To me, Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece. Bridge of Spies is a Ron Howard film. Every scenes plays out exactly how you expect. A glossy, well made, predictable film. 

All I can say is over the last 15 years, I've paid twice to see Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, West Side Story, and The Fabelmans in theaters, and once to see Crystal Skull, BFG, The Post, and Ready Player One. So that's where I've leaned with Spielberg. 

12 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Spielberg's recent boring movies are all great!  His only bad ones have been attempts at blockbusters (BFG and RP1)

As a quasi-BFG apologist, let me say that I don't think it was ever meant to be a blockbuster.  It underperformed, but it is truly a kid's film (like Paw Patrol or such) and not some Pixar movie aimed to please everyone.  Plus, as a kid's film, it is masterful compared to its counterparts of the last 15 years, with, perhaps The Peanuts Movie as the only exception.  Like kid's films of old, it had a fleshed out story with true human emotion and not just "unicorn-fairy everything is perfect" claptrap.  

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There were some real nice filmic moments in BFG and I would have been inclined to call it a more “mature” kids movie than most until I got to the ending when everybody was burping and farting with the queen of England or whatever.

THOSE WERE THE ONLY GOOD PARTS 

• 2 weeks later...

Its Emeritus Jones now...

If Indy was still just in Grad school in Raiders or Temple of Doom, one could say there's a nice progression there, I guess. But alas...

Sure, but it's obvious what PG language vs PG13 language vs R language is.

I didn't know that smoking alone could make a film PG13 these days (they list everything that makes it the rating given)

JW mentioned Helena smoking in the film when he premiered her theme's violin arrangement, but I didn't think it'd make the final cut.

I assume it's just cigarettes though, otherwise there'd be a warning about drug references, right? Bit of a missed opportunity given the time period, but it's Disney after all...

I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule such as “smoking=PG-13.”  From what I can find online, the MPAA considers smoking, including all aspects of the smoking in the movie (who’s smoking, how prominent it is onscreen, how long it is, whether the smoking is glorified) in their ratings.

Yeah there's absolutely no way it would possibly have been PG. PG-13 is now what PG was in the 70's/80's. A PG Indy film in this day in age would mean practically zero action.

Interesting they went through all the trouble of removing the cigarettes from the bar scene just for the trailer. Certainly not the first time Disney has done that sort of thing for advertising though.

46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I don't think the film is PG13 because of the smoking, but the violence.

I trust Mangold to deliver on that front.

They list every reason it has the rating it has instead of the one lower. 

For example if a film had a PG13 level of violence and a R level of swearing, it would say "rated R for language", not "rated R for language and violence". But then if they took out enough swears it garnered a PG13, it would say "rated PG13 for language and violence" 

So if there's such thing as levels of smoking that are different in a PG vs a PG13, this one has the PG13 level since they included it in the explanation of the rating. 

So if PG-13 would have been a thing in 1981, would Raiders have gotten it because Belloq (“Bellosh”) is smoking that hookah? To say nothing of Marion rudely blowing smoke in Toht’s face?

Well that's what I was originally trying to say, that I'm surprised in 2023 the MPAA considers smoking something that can elevate a film to PG13. I'm sure in 1981 that absolutely wasn't the case, no. 

Unrelated to the smoking, it was given the R rating when they first submitted it, because of Belloq's head exploding, so they added a sheet of flame over the shot and that took it down to PG. Same thing with Doom when the victims body catches on fire, you can see the extra flame they added over it to 'cover' up the victim writhing about.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Well that's what I was originally trying to say, that I'm surprised in 2023 the MPAA considers smoking something that can elevate a film to PG13. I'm sure in 1981 that absolutely wasn't the case, no. 

There are some things regarding smoking that the MPAA apparently now considers R-rated - such as minors smoking!

Raiders would likely be a 12A if made today ... apart from what's already been mentioned, the likes of Toht's face melting and even some of the bullet impacts in the likes of the bar fight wouldn't be OK in a PG. 

The Surgeon General's smoking warning in the end credits of Licence To Kill always tickled me (although I believe it may have been because Lark cigarettes had product placement via the explosives trigger thingy disguised as a pack of smokes).

I mean, of all the potentially life-threatening things to single out in a Bond film ... :lol: .           

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I always forget how freewheeling older PG movies were.  Realized it somewhere around the thirtieth “shit” my kid heard in Back to the Future the other night.

This set me thinking about the bit in Romancing The Stone where Jack and Joan burn the wacky-baccy stash they find in the crashed plane and clearly 'enjoy' the smoke ... off I went to its Wiki page to make sure I was right about that, and discovered that Fox were so convinced upon viewing a rough cut that it was going to flop that Zemeckis was kicked off Cocoon. It consequently turning out to be Fox's only major hit of '84 is what got him the BTTF job.    

If we can have: "I fucked it up", and "For fuck's sake", in "12" certificated films, we can have a wee bit of smoking in a PG-13.

Actually, in the UK, we had: "It was nothing like that, penis breath!", and a teenager attempting to goose a divorced mother of three, in a "U" certificate film :lol:

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Terminator 3 was 12A with (I think) 3 'fucks' and some quite bloody violence at times. 

They used their two fucks allotment in a single sentence 🤣

If I remember correctly, the fact that smoking occurs is pointed out in ratings in any film now, regardless of whether its G or R. It's just a policy they implemented some time back that it has to get listed in the MPA rating, hence why most films shy away from showing it at this point. It may have evolved to be a ratings consideration by its own at this point, but I believe if a character smokes in the film it will be listed regardless at this point.