Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Indiana Jones peaked in 1981. With every subsequent film the series just got worse and worse. I really don't want this movie at all regardless of who is doing it.

Karol

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I love when Williams gets to work with directors that he normally would never work with, even if it's for your normal franchise fare.

To say Williams worked with Rian Johnson is a very broad interpretation of the word "with". 

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Indiana Jones peaked in 1981. With every subsequent film the series just got worse and worse. I really don't want this movie at all regardless of who is doing it.

Karol

I guess the original trilogy is just not for you.

Not sure if this will be a good thing or not for Indy V,  Part of me is excited for the change yet the other half of me is worried.

If Williams does stay on to compose / conduct, I believe it would be just the 2nd time since Jaws 2 that he composed music for a Spielberg franchise without Spielberg directing?

Probably for the best. Though I couldn't care less.

Williams officially has an out of this franchise now. He might pitch in a new theme at most, a la Solo

He stayed on for Star Wars, and apparently had strong feelings about some of the work on the Star Wars Story scores he didn't do.  I wouldn't call it brand loyalty - I'd call it loyalty to his legacy of music.

I would still bet on a Williams score.

7 minutes ago, KK said:

Probably for the best. Though I couldn't care less.

Williams officially has an out of this franchise now. He might pitch in a new theme at most, a la Solo

Fixed it for ya... ;)

In the scheme of things, Spielberg bailing is probably beneficial to this film - remembering very well here that he's been sick of the whole affair for DECADES. Not only that, but Stevie's exciting movie mojo is already sitting pretty in the care home, where it's been enjoying bed baths for the past ten years. He's not fit for high adventure any more.

You can forgot John "stale" Williams too; the most damaging thing about this change is yet more delay in its actual production. Indiana Jones is a legendary trilogy from a bygone golden era in American blockbuster cinema. It shouldn't be remembered as the time cursed cobble job it's becoming. It's undignified. Just let it RIP.

This "All the other ones suck after Raiders" schtick has been spamming the internet since KOTCS came out. I call bullshit. The entire trilogy has always been solid.

28 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

This "All the other ones suck after Raiders" schtick has been spamming the internet since KOTCS came out. I call bullshit. The entire trilogy has always been solid.

Solid? Sure. But they still get worse each time. Temple is an entertaining film for the most part but it feels annoyingly overcooked and Crusade is too watered-down and "polite" (which is even worse). Neither of them hits the tone quite right. Not all the time anyway. I'm not exactly sure whether Crystal Skull is as bad as it reputation suggests but it is nevertheless a much more significant dip in quality.

Karol

Wow, going from the "core 5" of the series to potentially just Ford. No Lucas, no Spielberg directing, no Khan editing, potentially no Williams scoring?

My feeling is that Kennedy and Spielberg will still encourage JW to stay onboard. Not like he has anything else on his plate and they will probably want musical continuity to offset the change in direction. Just my two cents. Plus Spielberg would want another JW Indy score as much as any of us, even if he doesn't have the passion to direct the film it's associated with. Even when Spielberg handed off Jurassic to Trevorrow, they still tried to get Williams to score it (but I think the JP series is in a different category for Williams than Indy).

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Good for Steven. He can focus on doing something he actuallys wants to.

Plus he can focus on something that isn't guarenteed to suck, being: a) a film in a series that ended two entries prior and b) an action film where the hero is fucking 80!

To me, its the last nail in the coffin of this abomination, and we're all better for it.

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Solid? Sure. But they still get worse each time. Temple is an entertaining film for the most part but it feels annoyingly overcooked and Crusade is too watered-down and "polite" (which is even worse). Neither of them hits the tone quite right. Not all the time anyway. I'm not exactly sure whether Crystal Skull is as bad as it reputation suggests but it is nevertheless a much more significant dip in quality.

Karol

This is such a weird argument. As if to suggest that all film's of a given series need to be of the exact same quality as the original in order to somehow be considered as being good overall. I must admit in all my years of reading the internet, I've never encountered such a strange method of appraisal in relation to film or TV media. 

Meanwhile, you're always so eager to blow your load all over whatever the latest arbitrarily issued superhero package is to be emblazoned across theatres and then fawn all over it in internet text fields as if it's some grand third phase of a ring cycle the likes of which hasn't been seen since the epic poems of Homer. 

Double standards, Karol! Tsk tsk.

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

This is such a weird argument. As if to suggest that all film's of a given series need to be of the exact same quality as the original in order to somehow be considered as being good overall. I must admit in all my years of reading the internet, I've never encountered such a strange method of appraisal in relation to film or TV media. 

Meanwhile, you're always so eager to blow your load all over whatever the latest arbitrarily issued superhero package is to be emblazoned across theatres and then fawn all over it in internet text fields as if it's some grand third phase of a ring cycle the likes of which haven't been seen since the epic poems of Homer. 

Double standards, Karol! Tsk tsk.

They are more interesting to me because they connect something that was important to me growing up. Comics came before movies. In contrast, I watched my first Indy film at the age of 15 so I don't have strong emotional connection to it save for the music. Just doesn't interest me, sorry.

As for the first paragraph, I never said that.

Karol

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Aye, double standard, that's what I said.

Since the two things have nothing to do with each other and I criticise most superhero films anyway your point doesn't stand.

Karol

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Well yeah you do, but don't you criticise literally everything you see anyway? By that I mean you always find something to moan about even as everyone else often unanimously loves it.

I can't be criticising everything and "blowing my load off over stuff" both at the same time. Which one is it then?

Karol

15 minutes ago, KK said:

To croc’s credit, the Marvel flicks are remarkably consistent...in their blandness...

It'd be arrogant of me to categorically agree as I have seen less than half of them and therefore I am not qualified to make such a sweeping determination. Same as I won't declare Under the Dome to be outright terrible either, as I only saw the first few episodes. For all I know the full thing might have been the TV equivalent of 2001: A Space Odyssey, so I play it safe.

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I can't be criticising everything and "blowing my load off over stuff" both at the same time. Which one is it then?

Karol

You're unfamiliar with cry wanking?

It still weirds me out that despite the amount of crazy stuff that happens, people still consider the MCU bland. Like I get why some would say that by account on how strictly formula it is, but it's just fascinating that it'd turn out that way.

As for Beltrami possibly getting the gig: did we forget Gods of Egypt exist? Or is his track record too inconsistent to trust that it could be the template he follows for Indy? I definitely would rather Williams and/or maybe Powell, but that's something I'd like to hear others talk about.

Also: so Elfman is exempt from his current crop of additional composers, but Beltrami gets the RCP jokes in reskinned form? He only ever works with the same 3/4 people, for Christ sake! Does this only apply when the composer puts out stuff you don't like?

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You're unfamiliar with cry wanking?

Since you're desperately trying to dodge the question, I will just assume you have nothing to add. ;)

Karol

These days only Phoebe Waller-Bridge can get away with winking at the audience. And fuck me does she own that shit. Before her? Wayne Campbell. These are the camera winking titans the Marvel guys and gals are up against.

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Since you're desperately trying to dodge the question, I will just assume you have nothing to add. ;)

Karol

Yeah Croc, that must be it.

The Logan approach is actually perfect for Indy's character. It's exactly how an older version of the character should be portrayed, similar to Eastwood in Unforgiven or any of those great Bogart film noir movies. That's really what Indy 4 should've been given the time period. 

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The Logan approach is actually perfect for Indy's character. It's exactly how an older version of the character should be portrayed, similar to Eastwood in Unforgiven or any of those great Bogart film noir movies. That's really what Indy 4 should've been given the time period. 

Jones

In cinemas 2021

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I still need to see Logan and I really wanted to an all. I'm not even into X-Men either.

It’s basically “The Last of Us”, but not as good. I enjoyed it.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

OMG LOL  I had to google image her and all I can say is "yikes".  I take it she's adopted?  I'm on my work laptop so don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole in my searches LOL