Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow Indy crossing bridges like that in the 1930s makes more than the late 1960s to me

I was trying to figure out if the bridge is a metaphor for this film’s story. If you know, please don’t tell me (I’m spoiler free). 

@crumbsand everyone else:

haven’t seen it posted here, so I thought I’d add-when this was dropped they said it was concept art. When I initially posted the image I didn’t hear that, because it was sent to me. Then I watched the live stream where they showed it and said it there. 

Still, looks uberly cool and I can’t wait for next summer!

Listening to the Main Title to The Lost World today, it struck me how it could easily pass as an Indiana Jones theme like Parade of the Slave Children.  I would love something like this for 5.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably half the key people in this production will have retired when the film is released.

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Has Snark ever looked forward to anything?

😛

@Thor's assessments of expanded soundtracks.

I think the "V" in the title refers to how many years they've been working on.this show!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Probably half the key people in this production will have retired when the film is released.

Right.

And JW won't be one of them!😁

When people refer to an IJ IV or SW VIII as a box office success as sort of positive, do they not get that the first couple hundred million have very little to do with the actual film and everything to do with the prior installments?  

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Any Indy 5 news planned for SDCC??

I doubt it. D23 Expo this September on the other hand…we’ll see. That would be the best place for it.

I’d never read this Variety article promoting Crystal Skull in Feb 2008before

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/02/indianajones200802/amp

When Ford and Spielberg both rejected the idea, Lucas dug in. He hired screenwriter after screenwriter to make his MacGuffin the linchpin of a new Indy story. “So this went on for 15 years,” he says. “And finally we got to a point where everybody said, ‘Look, we’re not doing that movie.’ And I said, ‘Well, look, I can’t think of another MacGuffin. This is it. This works. I knowthis works.’ And then we stopped. I just said, ‘O.K.,’ and that’s about the time I started Star Wars again. But then Harrison was kind of interested. And I said, ‘I won’t do it unless we can have that MacGuffin. Without the MacGuffin, I will not go near this thing.’ ”

Whatever, Lucas is convinced he won’t please everyone. “I know the critics are going to hate it,” he says. “They already hate it. So there’s nothing we can do about that. They hate the idea that we’re making another one. They’ve already made up their minds.”

At least the legions of Indy geeks will be pleased, right?

“The fans are all upset,” Lucas says. “They’re always going to be upset. ‘Why did he do it like this? And why didn’t he do it like this?’ They write their own movie, and then, if you don’t do their movie, they get upset about it. So you just have to stand by for the bricks and the custard pies, because they’re going to come flying your way.”

I admire Lucas’ desire to stick to his guns and fight for an idea…But damn. It seems to be more outta vanity (hehe) than a genuine belief that it was THE best idea for the story. 

Beating a very dead horse I know. But it’s interesting to see these comments in a puff promotional piece. It’s just heartbreaking to relive  the anticipation and excitement for this movie, knowing how it didn’t quite live up to the hype.

For me, with the bar so low, Mangold has his work cut out for him. 5 will be a great Indy film. And I cannot wait 😊

8 hours ago, WampaRat said:

“The fans are all upset,” Lucas says. “They’re always going to be upset. ‘Why did he do it like this? And why didn’t he do it like this?’ They write their own movie, and then, if you don’t do their movie, they get upset about it."

Maybe it would also help to make a movie that, ehm, doesn't suck?

From what could be gathered after that thing came out, nobody but Lucas actually thought the screenplay or story was any good. And then you ask yourself, what kind of leverage can the guy who made 'Attack of the Clones' actually have?

The guy can be capable of good story ideas. And when somebody else writes and directs his stories they generally turn out pretty good. Buuut…this was definitely not one of those times.

I get him being surrounded by yes-men who tell him everything he comes up with is brilliant. But when his peers (Spielberg and Ford!) tell him for 15 years that it’s a terrible idea…well…you’d think he might take that to heart. (I mean he backed off the haunted house idea for Indy 3 in much less time)

• 3 weeks later...

Boyd Holbrook Praises Early ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Footage, Promises ‘Badass’ Movie
Holbrook says the upcoming sequel maintains the most beloved stylistic elements of James Mangold's filmography while adding "this grand scale of Indiana Jones."

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Boyd Holbrook Praises Early ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Footage, Promises ‘Badass’ Movie
Holbrook says the upcoming sequel maintains the most beloved stylistic elements of James Mangold's filmography while adding "this grand scale of Indiana Jones."

Yep. That’s something I’m going to want to see! 😊

“Fast and Badass” That pretty much confirms Vin Diesel and the Rock must show up 😜

3 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Has Disney ever had a movie that felt "badass" ? Genuine question.

When I think about a movie released by Disney that has "badass" scenes, these are the ones that come to my mind:

34 Guardians of the Galaxy Gifs - Gif Abyss

I've seen films that are badass, and I've seen films that have bad asses in them.

JOHN CARTER is, actually, not bad. At the very least, it has a great Cappuccino score.

Just for its visual style - and being the first animated film in 70mm - SLEEPING BEAUTY is badass.

FANTASIA is badass through and through.

Despite what everyone says, TRON LEGACY is about as badass as The Mouse gets.

19 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've seen films that are badass, and I've seen films that have bad asses in them.

JOHN CARTER is, actually, not bad. At the very least, it has a great Cappuccino score.

Just for its visual style - and being the first animated film in 70mm - SLEEPING BEAUTY is badass.

FANTASIA is badass through and through.

Despite what everyone says, TRON LEGACY is about as badass as The Mouse gets.

I feel sorry for anyone who hates on any of those films.

5 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I think he meant it as in there are scenes in it that are "bad" and "ass."

Hilarious. Which scenes would those be, exactly?

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I saw it and don't remember anything bad ass

Sorry to hear that. I do. Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris was incredibly badass in my book. And Willem Dafoe, of course. I will never understand people who hate on this great movie. It misses something if you don’t have the full context, but when I saw the film in theater this scene had me in tears:

And it’s absolutely Giacchino’s greatest work for the big screen.

Yavar

26 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Did you ever see this from a couple years ago? While not sleeping beauty quality (or Star Wars) it’s more in the vein of classic Don Bluth style animation. A passion project all hand drawn as a fan pitch/proof of concept. I would donate an organ (or a least a pinky) to see this become a real show! Get on it Disney. 

You can go through his whole making-of process on his blog here. So cool.

http://www.patrickschoenmaker.com/indiana-jones-animated-concept-art/

I would definitely be ok to see this be the future of Dr Jones after Harrison hangs up the hat. 

Wow! This is great, thanks for sharing. The animation is really good for a proof of concept show opener. The music is also quite good with some parts sounding like Indiana Jones filtered thru Shirley Walker's Batman TAS sound.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Slightly off-topic, but I found on Reddit this amazing Lego Ideas design for the Ark of Covenant from Raiders:

webp

It needs 10k votes to have a chance of becoming real, and so far it got 3,330. If you wish to support (for free), you can do so here:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/addfdfa5-05fb-4cec-a290-03ba5c0cc454

Knowing LEGO, I doubt they will produce a set with such obvious religious imagery