Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

This might mean nothing in regards to Indy V’s teaser. But take a close look at the bottom right. Maybe a title reveal or a potential teaser maybe? Mangold did say December would be a better bet but this would be cool too.

BA770E03-4C65-44CE-8480-83283C2EF332.jpeg

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Pretty bold for disney to use spiderman as the only representative of Marvel….

oh they used cap americas shield too…

why si the Quake videogame logo on the bottom right?

Probably a lot of different stuff they’re dropping, I think.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I've really come to appreciate it, and judge it on its own terms rather than as a sequel to Raiders

I do think that's one of the more admirable aspects of the movie: its the one sequel in which you can tell the filmmakers went "how can we make the most different, indeed diametrically opposed, followup to the original?" And so where Raiders is globetrotting, Temple of Doom really takes place mostly in one place. Where Raiders is very upbeat, almost giddy, Temple of Doom is, as I said, macabre. There are a lot of other comparisons like that.

I still don't particularly care for it, though.

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I for one think that they should not market it at all.

With apologies, Mike :lol:

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

And it is a prequel, diametrically opposed to a sequel :p

Didn't Roger Ebert call it "an equal"?

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I feel like I recognize that from something else, not Quake

image.png

My first thought was The Mandalorian, but that's different

Mandalorian Symbol Star Wars Decal  Mandalorian Decal  image 1

You're right though, it is similar to Quake's

Quake logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I do think that's one of the more admirable aspects of the movie: its the one sequel in which you can tell the filmmakers went "how can we make the most different, indeed diametrically opposed, followup to the original?"

I think this is fair. But when I think of the perfect sequel (in terms of what good sequel should do), I still think of Aliens, which did exactly what a good sequel is supposed to do.

But yes, TOD was a pretty bold move on their part, though they did go back to safer territory with (the superior) Last Crusade. I will give TOD credit for this however...it's the Indiana Jones film where Indy actually has the biggest impact on the outcome of the story. Those kids would have lived and died as slaves were in not for Indy, he had a direct and positive impact on events. You really can't say the same for Raiders or Last Crusade (and I was saying that about Raiders long before Big Bang Theory!)

On 29/08/2022 at 2:20 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

oh they used cap americas shield too…

Bellow the donot, on Eve's right it's a Nova starship from Guardians of the Galaxy.

On 29/08/2022 at 3:29 PM, Jay said:

I feel like I recognize that from something else, not Quake

image.png

My first thought was The Mandalorian, but that's different

Andor

Spoiler

Andor: ecco le nuove foto del set! ⋆ STAR WARS ITALIA

22 hours ago, WampaRat said:

I know we’d all love for JW to write music specifically for the teaser and full trailer. That would be amazing! But given the state of modern film marketing there will probably be a “trailerized/EPIC version of the Williams material adapted for the promos.

Imagine a "music clip" trailer like the ones from the prequels with some new material for the movie. Even Skull had a pastiche of William's music for its trailer, and I think 2008 we already had "trailer music".

2 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Imagine a "music clip" trailer like the ones from the prequels with some new material for the movie. Even Skull had a pastiche of William's music for its trailer, and I think 2008 we already had "trailer music".

Both teaser and main trailer used cues from Raiders, as well as a track from the Dune tv show I believe, and of course trailer house drum beats.

On 29/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Apparently people on Twitter today have confirmed it’s Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man too

Nice! I can't wait to see that not be on the album, no doubt. :sarcasm:

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but the concert version of Irina's theme was written after KOTCS, which explains the absence, right?

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Nice! I can't wait to see that not be on the album, no doubt. :sarcasm:

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but the concert version of Irina's theme was written after KOTCS, which explains the absence, right?

I believe it was a few years after 

The track labeled "Irina's Theme" on the OST album is just bits of three film cues edited together. 

0:00-0:41 = 1m4NR Irina Spalko

0:41-2:00 = 7m56 End Credit

2:00-end = 3m28 Russians Reappear

He wrote an actual concert arrangement of her theme, but it wasn't recorded at the recording sessions. It debuted in live concerts. 

2 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Wait... was there ever an album without Irina's Theme?

The track Irina's Theme on the KOCS OST is an edited construct of several film cues.

After the scoring sessions were finished, Williams revisited the theme by writing an actual concert suite which was performed later in the year. I don't think it's been performed many times since though, if at all.

He did something very similar with Window to the Past on Prisoner of Azkaban.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It debuted in concert the same summer the film ooened

Ohhh, my bad. I've seen this video before, but I thought it was a couple years after the fact, not 2008.

With this "Helena", we now know for sure the subject of the next movie...

Spoiler

Time Travel, the Elisyum... and now... this Helena... of Troy!

You know what the Elysium is... don't you?

Indy you are here at last!!! :crymore:

On 31/08/2022 at 12:37 PM, Brando said:

Apparently people on Twitter today have confirmed it’s Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man too

I'm sure as usual the artist/s just Googled "Spider-Man" and loosely copied the best image they could find. :lol:

On 03/09/2022 at 3:10 PM, Jay said:

It debuted in concert the same summer the film ooened

A proper recording is something of a holy grail for me. I adore this arrangement. 

Karol

Updated my post above with another piece of concept art (the one at the bottom of a chase sequence)

Who knows how much of this is actually in the film vs. "blue sky" concepts by Lucasfilm artists just for getting a vibe

Can't wait to hear the action cue Williams will write (or maybe already wrote?) for the chase scene!

OTOH, I do feel a little aprehensive if this is a 9-minute action scene, but the official OST only includes 3 or 4 minutes of "highlights", like was with the forest chase on Indy 4.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Can't wait to hear the action cue Williams will write (or maybe already wrote?) for the chase scene!

OTOH, I do feel a little aprehensive if this is a 9-minute action scene, but the official OST only includes 3 or 4 minutes of "highlights", like was with the forest chase on Indy 4.

I keep praying for an album arrangement similar to The Force Awakens (pretty great representation of the score) than Crystal Skull (lacking large chunks of set pieces and focused more on “sneaking around” music.)

We can hope there may be an academy Promo too to rectify any omissions from the OST. That is, IF Disney sees fit to campaign for it!

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

There have been 

Hide contents

Lots of location videos of a chase in that little tuk-tuk 

So at least that one was used

I think that’s India. Tuk Tuk is known as Rickshaw’s here. There is even a cow so it is definitely India.

Sounds like a great teaser! I’m sure they’ll release it online in a couple of days if it doesn’t drop today. 

Just now, Jay said:

Here's a video of Ford taking at the event... His voice sounds really shaky? 

I guess he’s “emotional”. But yeah. The dude is 80 lol.

Wonder what kinda music they used?

Mangold:

“I saw ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ in high school and it’s one of the reasons I became a film director and one of my producers is Steven Spielberg who is one of my all-time favorite filmmakers,” Mangold, who took over directing duties on the film from Spielberg, said onstage.

“And Harrison Ford is one of my all-time favorite actors. And my composer is John Williams, one of the all-time great composers. It’s been an honor and a pleasure to collaborate with you on this. That reminds me of the other wonderful addition to this cast, which is the phenomenal Phoebe Waller-Bridge. I was surrounded by tremendous talent and support and goodwill and advice. I was living out a fantasy I had, wondering what it would feel like to make one of these pictures and honoring in my own mind what these movies are for you and for me, trying to bring that back for next year.”

Source: https://www.thewrap.com/indiana-jones-5-trailer-footage-description-d23/

2 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s character was along for some of this. At some point, the two of them are in a bar and people ask how they’re related and Indy says, jokingly, he’s her godfather.

Maybe she's Brody's granddaughter!

That would make total sense with the godfather.

4 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Maybe she's Brody's granddaughter!

That would make total sense with the godfather.

That would make sense. Brody has been dead for quite some time though. Would that make sense timeline wise? It depends on how old Phoebe's character is. And it could of course be that the godfather line is just a joke. We'll see.

They are still being very secretive about the film. Not revealing a title, character names or even some kind of premise.

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

That would make sense. Brody has been dead for quite some time though. Would that make sense timeline wise? It depends on how old Phoebe's character is. And it could of course be that the godfather line is just a joke. We'll see.

I thought Brody was gay? (Shown when he bites Indiana Jones' apple in Raiders)