Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

16 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The Matrix has entered the room.

Referring to the original sequels, or 3 plus the new one?

Just now, Roll the Bones said:

Referring to the original sequels, or 3 plus the new one?

LOL, I had already forgotten about the fourth film. ROTFLMAO

Well, anything after the first really (which is a bona fide sci-fi classic).

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

LOL, I had already forgotten about the fourth film. ROTFLMAO

Well, anything after the first really (which is a bona fide sci-fi classic).

The Matrix sequels were shot back to back, so it was more like screwing up two films at once.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

I think James Mangold is one of the guys who cares about making sure we hear what we want to hear.

But Mangold wouldn’t curate what ends up on the OST will he? Isn’t that all up to JW? At least we’ll have a potential FYC to supplement anything major, and we’ll have an atmos rip of the film too. 

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

And there's still plenty of time for Mangold to track Desert Chase over JW's new action cues!

Or drop every action cue/climax, like happened with Rozsa's All the Brothers Were Valiant

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jay said:

Are we expecting a theatrical trailer attached to Avatar 2?

I sure hope not....If that's the case I'm not gonna be happy:lol:

Edit: just thought of this-if they were to release the title with it, I don't know if that's how they'd want people to find out. If nothing by December, which is unlikely, then the next big event is the Superbowl. But I'm sure we'll have the teaser/title by the end of the year...I hope.

On 24/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, crumbs said:

And there's still plenty of time for Mangold to track Desert Chase over JW's new action cues!

RoS's Speeder Chase incident is still too fresh in my mind - one of Williams' last truly heroic action set pieces utterly ruined in post.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that this means anything, because soon could mean a couple of weeks to a couple of months, but I did realize. 8 years ago, November 28th, 2014, we got the first teaser for The Force Awakens. The title was announced November 6th on Twitter. So maybe they’ll give us a teaser on Black Friday this year? Imagine that. New Indiana Jones teaser and the LLL BF release. That would be an exciting day, and it’s already being hyped up by Jay and Mike.

E8095B44-19A1-4262-B953-FE48C50D8976.jpeg

I really want Indy V to turn out great and pray it gets successfully promoted and marketed well. Hope it doesn’t fall victim to all these cost cuts at the Mouse House 😬

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/disney-layoffs-hiring-freeze-bob-chapek-1235430840/amp/

I would like it to be marketed well and financially successful. 

But this is the rare case where I want it to be the last one, and personally don’t want Disney to milk the IP with shows that don’t have Ford or Williams. 

So if future Indy “content” hinges on the marketing and box office, then all I really care about is that I enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I would like it to be marketed well and financially successful. 

But this is the rare case where I want it to be the last one, and personally don’t want Disney to milk the IP with shows that don’t have Ford or Williams. 

So if future Indy “content” hinges on the marketing and box office, then all I really care about is that I enjoy it. 

I agree. I can take or leave whatever further ideas they may be cooking up sans Ford. I just want this one to be the (second 😉) fond farewell this classic character deserves. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Projected revenue: $1,200,000,000 to $1,500,000,000.

Anything less than $1,000,000,000 would be regarded as a failure.

You’re saying it needs to make a billion? Yikes. Dont know if that will happen. I’d love it though. Can I ask where you get those numbers from?

I know more optimistic fans think it could be a “Top Gun: Maverick” type situation (ie a dormant franchise comes roaring back with fantastic practical effects and old school movie making) I have no doubt it will be a terrific movie. I have no qualms about Fords age. He’ll be great. But considering the most recent film in the franchise hasn’t aged well in the mind of the public (to put it mildly) coupled with a 79 year old action star, it’s tough to see it pulling in Maverick-level dough. But I truly hope it does make a billion. I’ll be there opening day!

Only 3 films have crossed a billion dollar mark since the pandemic

6    Spider-Man: No Way Home    $1,916,306,995    2021
11    Top Gun: Maverick    $1,486,657,763    2022
51    Jurassic World: Dominion    $1,001,136,080    2022

Seems like Indy 5 has a chance to do so too

14 minutes ago, Brando said:

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoys old Ford. Old and sometimes grumpy Ford is a gem.

Indeed!

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Only 3 films have crossed a billion dollar mark since the pandemic

6    Spider-Man: No Way Home    $1,916,306,995    2021
11    Top Gun: Maverick    $1,486,657,763    2022
51    Jurassic World: Dominion    $1,001,136,080    2022

Seems like Indy 5 has a chance to do so too

If the less-than-inspired JW: Dominion made a billion I certainly hope Dr Jones can pull it off!

There were a whopping 18 films that crossed a billion from 2017->2019

2    Avengers: Endgame    $2,797,501,328    2019

5    Avengers: Infinity War    $2,048,359,754    2018

8    The Lion King    $1,663,250,487    2019

12    Frozen II    $1,450,026,933    2019

14    Black Panther    $1,382,248,826    2018

16    Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi    $1,332,698,830    2017

17    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom    $1,310,466,296    2018

19    Beauty and the Beast    $1,273,576,220    2017

20    Incredibles 2    $1,243,089,244    2018

21    The Fate of the Furious    $1,236,005,118    2017

25    Aquaman    $1,148,528,393    2018

27    Spider-Man: Far from Home    $1,131,927,996    2019

28    Captain Marvel    $1,128,462,972    2019

32    Joker    $1,104,931,061    2019

35    Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker    $1,074,149,279    2019

36    Toy Story 4    $1,073,394,593    2019

41    Aladdin    $1,050,693,953    2019

43    Despicable Me 3    $1,034,800,131    2017

So much has changed since then...

I am very interested to see how the film actually looks. I wonder if it will still look and feel like an Indiana Jones film in terms of cinematography, grading etc considering the absence of Spielberg.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I am very interested to see how the film actually looks. I wonder if it will still look and feel like an Indiana Jones film in terms of cinematography, grading etc considering the absence of Spielberg.

A trailer was shown at D23 celebration 2 months ago and has been hared on the internet since if you want to look at that to see how it looks

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

A trailer was shown at D23 celebration 2 months ago and has been hared on the internet since if you want to look at that to see how it looks

I saw it but I need it in 1080p!

4 hours ago, WampaRat said:

You’re saying it needs to make a billion?

I'm not saying that it needs to make $1,000,000,000, but I'm pretty sure that The Mouse will be disappointed if it doesn't cross that threshold.

After the decidedly mixed reception for TROS, and SOLO tanking big time, all eyes will be on Indiana Jones to deliver the goods.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

He was great in TFA

... and decidedly less-than-great, in TROS.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm not saying that it needs to make $1,000,000,000, but I'm pretty sure that The Mouse will be disappointed if it doesn't cross that threshold.

After the decidedly mixed reception for TLJ, and SOLO tanking big time, all eyes will be on Indiana Jones to deliver the goods.

Ah I see. Yeah I suppose that’s their benchmark across the board for all their big franchise properties. “A billion or bust!” 

I am with @Disco Stu on this. My first experience was completely devoid of any emotion or excitement. There's tons happening in the film and I simply didn’t care. It wasn't even hate, just plain indifference. Which was weird to me at the time because I did enjoy the previous for the most part. My attitude sort of mellowed since then but it's not a movie I cherish. 

Karol 

I certainly don't cherish Rise of Skywalker, but Kylo Ren was literally the only character who got interesting development throughout all three Star Wars sequel films. Rey got two films (I think RoS did little for her) and well, poor Finn got one. What a wasted character (and talented actor) who deserved better.... I guess Boyega still got better than the great Max von Sydow did.

Yavar