Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

This should not set off alarm bells for anyone (or at least not any more alarm bells than Harrison Ford doing another Indiana Jones movie in his 80s” does)

Well, the first movie came out in the 80s, so they've kind of come full circle. 

16 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The original ending had Ford riding off into the sunset, but Mangold got so tired of the whiny chuds on the Internet that he filmed a new ending where Some Lady blows Indy up with a bazooka, puts his hat on, and says “I’m Indiana Jones now, and the real adventure is only beginning.”

... all the while having a talk with her daughter, about this amazing man called Indiana Jones, and whistling "We Have All The Time In The World".

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

This is exactly what “new ending to shoot” made me think of. This film was originally shot before that actor returned to acting. But if this is Ford’s last acting role it would be such a shame if Short Round didn’t show back up for an on-screen reunion.

Yavar

One can hope! I won’t be crushed if he doesn’t show. But it would be icing on the cake for sure. 

Regarding the skepticism this movie may earn from some before seeing it, I’m of a similar mind with the thoughts shared by one of the guys on “The Weekly Planet” podcast:

“I get why people are skeptical. Because of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Because of some of the things that happened with Star Wars. I get why people look at this and see the ‘floating head’ on the horse and go, ‘ I hate this.’ But I reserve the right to go into this with absolute blind optimism. And that is what I’m going to do.”

(They’re not industry insiders or anything. Just two Aussie pop culture geeks.I enjoy their stuff)

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Maybe harrison wanted to include short round since he found the actor in a convention recently… and that bringed back old memories

I will say, when I heard JW's comment about that last night, my heart did sink a little, but I didn't even consider this could be a possibility now. That would be amazing if you end up being right.

26 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Does any supplemental material explain what the H “Short Round” means?  Someone must have read the novelization.

According to the Indiana Jones Wiki:

”The boy known as Short Round was born Wan Li on February 8, 1926. Orphaned during the Japanese bombing of Shanghai in 1932, Li picked up his alias as a pickpocket on the streets of his home town and attempted to rob the man he would later refer to as Dr. Jones.”

https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Short_Round

14A160F1-F857-4B07-A565-BEA8C6674413.jpeg

Not to mention, Ford was injured and they had to delay production and eventually push forward with a double. Those scenes need to be finished and that's what reshoots are built into the schedule to accomplish. After editing is done, sometimes you have to "fill in the blanks."

39 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Not to mention, Ford was injured and they had to delay production and eventually push forward with a double. Those scenes need to be finished and that's what reshoots are built into the schedule to accomplish. After editing is done, sometimes you have to "fill in the blanks."

Impossible, that makes too much sense.

18 hours ago, Tom said:

Marion: Oh Indy, you are finally home from your grand adventure.

Short Round: Hey Lady! You call him Dr. Jones. 

Iris out.  

It’s Emeritus Jones by now…

It is just a safe way of affirming non-empirical/quasi-religious beliefs without affirming as true specific propositions which given religions do affirm.  

If Mutt is alive (i think he is) then that means KOTCS's crappy plot of Indy being absent of most of Mutt's life until they meet leads to a very realistic possibility of not maintaining a relationship in Indy 5.  I mean, Indy wasn't a father of any kind.  Can't abandon the one that took care of you right?  Whoa....getting deep for an Indy film.

I'm hoping he is still alive.  I could honestly picture killing Mutt off could come off as a gag to most people, considering the character.

That said, Shia did fine in KOTCS.  Not his fault the character was butt.

3 hours ago, Brando said:

Looks like we will be finding out what happened to Mutt after all. Plus a new image!

https://ew.com/movies/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-james-mangold-2023-previewDA821B2A-F541-4831-BB14-554A55244BB1.jpeg

The trailer didn't really do as much for me as I'd hoped it would.  Mangold's description here, though?  I'm suddenly starting to feel the hype welling up inside me again. :)

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Belloq (Bellosh?) worked for them...

Good point! Bellosh allied himself with the forces of evil WHO GIVES A DAMN WHAT HE THINKS.

@Bellosh we’re going to give you the benefit of the doubt that your name truly doesn’t mean what we think it does. 😜

It’s all coming together now.

I might be more excited for Indy 5’s

score than I was for TROS. This is going to be a very special score. I really can’t wait, feels forever away.

But that’s okay. When Hook gets released in January, I’ll have something to hold me over

17 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Oh rubbish. TolkienSS is no Nazi.

The SS suffix in usernames is an increasingly common dogwhistle in online spaces these days, as is the number 88 (I won't go into why, Google it if you want). 1988 happens to be my year of birth and I've had a few old accounts deleted because I had 88 in my username. :pat: