Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

16 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

It's precisely the kind of thing that wouldn't appear deceptive on the outset (especially as some here have already tried connecting it to Spielberg). If this particular guy is gonna get up in arms about the director of Don't Worry Darling saying it's an attack on an infamous political personality (plus the continually false "woke" spiel that keeps being repeated), then I don't blame anyone for thinking his username is a blatant attempt to see what he can get past the moderators.

Yeah.  Plus he's just no fun.  No real angle other than blanket reactionary negativity  (like Gkgyver returned from the dead)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what Google tells me, which probably is what's gonna matter most for when one gets curious (especially when it only gives you other possible designations when you scroll down far enough).

Admittedly though, I kind of thought it was referring to a ship thing initially (even if the SS would need to be at the beginning instead of the end).

I'm a little surprised he isn't standing up for himself more, since that's quite a few people voicing their displeasure at this point. Unless it's intentional, I feel like it's probably going to lead to further thread derailing as all these back and forths happen (whether he actually responds to much of it or not).

@Not Mr. Big and @HunterTech

The SS stands for Studio Symphony. I'm glad you asked instead of, you know, leading an unnecessarily degrading conversation about it with a 3rd person or something.

What do you mean "stand up for myself"? It's a message board. Most people wouldn't say the things they do here in real life. So, it's not so serious. 

Also, and I'm quoting, I was told to "go away" one page earlier.

I see. TolkienStudioSymphony sounds much cooler written in full, so I would recommend using that if you don't want some making heavy assumptions in this current climate.

And I only said the stuff about standing up for yourself because you're remarkably dapper about being quiet over a few taking issue with a couple of your statements. I figured if you're gonna remain a regular here that you'd go about squashing any possible animosity thrown at you from this point on.

I do apologize if it does actually stand for Studio Symphony.  I do mean that.

I wouldn't have thought about it much if his posts weren't so miserable and negative. HunterTech worded it perfectly in another post.

Sorry to derail this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it also depends what Williams delivers with his score, and how satisfyingly it's mixed. Even when a film underdelivers, Williams often challenges himself to elevate the material with a more rousing score.

There also seems to be an aversion in modern films to highlight the score or set the volume dial above 3. Williams' music is best enjoyed when it soars above the SFX and drives the tempo of an action scene. Anything less and you're just watching a noisy succession of rapid shots. 

I am a little worried the score might feature an hour of fairly uninteresting, meandering underscore like KOCS (not JW's fault but that film's) but hopefully this film rectifies the pacing issues of Crystal Skull. 

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There also seems to be an aversion in modern films to highlight the score or set the volume dial above 3.

Unless it's a really dumb and simplified score.

On 07/01/2023 at 4:30 AM, crumbs said:

I am a little worried the score might feature an hour of fairly uninteresting, meandering underscore like KOCS (not JW's fault but that film's) but hopefully this film rectifies the pacing issues of Crystal Skull. 

Pacing is the least of KotCS's problems. All I want from DoD is an interesting artifact, a decent villain and some ambitious, stakeful action sequences. Those will inherently produce some interesting music. KotCS didn't have any of those.

• 4 weeks later...

Only using final film footage limits the quality (might already have tint or effects applied, probably not 1st gen) and the amount of footage, but using unprinted unused takes, unedited, uninterrupted, maybe even running a bit longer than the actual "acting" take gives a ton more material the "AI" can "learn" from.

On 07/02/2023 at 5:40 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Let us know what you finally think, on June 30.

Thought about this more today.

I'm genuinely thinking about holding out until this comes to video (yes I'm still using that phrase).

If people here like to enjoy/first experience a score with a nice pair of headphones, alone. Then I sure as hell can enjoy the last Indy movie with Ford and John Williams at the helm, by myself, with nobody to bug me. No obnoxious popcorn eating, no cell phone lights, no stupid comments about ford's age.

The only issue that presents itself with this strategy is that I will want to hear the score so bad.  I believe I can be "slightly spoiled" by track titles and themes and still not have the movie ruined for me.

But right now, I want to enjoy this movie for the first time alone, on a Friday night, with a drink or two and nothing but my thoughts.

4 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Just see it the week after.  You'll have the whole showing to yourself!

Lol

My thoughts are honestly it's better to see it in a packed theater vs a few people there. When its only a few people, you can hear them easier. Oddly enough packed theaters tend to have an overall respect for the viewing...

I'm over thinking this so much I know 😔

Just now, Bellosh said:

Lol

My thoughts are honestly it's better to see it in a packed theater vs a few people there. When its only a few people, you can hear them earlier. Oddly enough packed theaters tend to have an overall respect for the viewing...

I'm over thinking this so much I know 😔

I remember worrying before TFA that there would be a mass shooting at my theater.  Thankfully didn't happen 

Not sure if you've experienced an Alamo Drafthouse.... people always say "omg it's the best they don't take shit from anyone"

It's just absolutely false.

To report someone you can only do a warning. And each time the person needs to come grab your card. Also the ordering food while a movie is going on will never not be cringe to me.

Maybe alamo used to be different, but my last experience in NYC, 2018, during Midsommar, was easily the worst theater experience I've ever had.

I swear I'm not as lame as these posts make it out to seem, but holy fuck, an annoying theater experience is probably my biggest pet peeve in the world.

1 minute ago, Bellosh said:

Not sure if you've experienced an Alamo Drafthouse.... people always say "omg it's the best they don't take shit from anyone"

It's just absolutely false.

To report someone you can only do a warning. And each time the person needs to come grab your card. Also the ordering food while a movie is going on will never not be cringe to me.

Maybe alamo used to be different, but my last experience in NYC, 2018, during Midsommar, was easily the worst theater experience I've ever had.

I swear I'm not as lame as these posts make it out to seem, but holy fuck, an annoying theater experience is probably my biggest pet peeve in the world.

Alamo Drafthouse gets you a different type of bad (usually a millennial bearded man talking over the movie to his date or a soccer mom loudly stirring her martini).  

Drafthouse still has the most consistent presentation with great sound and image quality so that's where I usually go (I swear, you pay like $30 for an AMC Dolby cinema ticket and the projection is dim and out of focus and the seats have brown stains)

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

(I swear, you pay like $30 for an AMC Dolby cinema ticket and the projection is dim and out of focus and the seats have brown stains)

Soon you'll be paying extra for better seats at AMC

I'm content with the small local theaters we have around here. The screens might not be the size of an entire building, but the seats are clean, people are quiet, and tickets are $7 max!

The only time I remember having anxiety about that was when I went to see The Dark Knight Rises the morning after the news in Aurora. It was an irrational thought as it was an 11 am show with like a dozen people in the theater but given the immediate context I couldn't help glancing over my shoulder every once in awhile.