Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I'd guess everyone involved would have preferred if they had some other sort of dialogue in that moment but what can you do

Yeah. There was zero need to put that line in there, it added nothing to the story or Indiana's character. I don't even think most audiences thought of the age gap in that way.  They could have left it at Indiana broke the heart of his mentor's daughter, that would have been wrong enough, and left it at that.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first part of what she says could absolutely be read that way

"I was a child, I was in love."

But then, there's the second part of what she says that doesn't really have as many ways of interpreting it...

"It was wrong and you knew it!"

And then there's Indy's response to it...

"You knew what you were doing."

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

I always thought the "I was a child" line as more just a way of saying that she was naive and inexperienced, not a literal child

That's exactly my interpretation of that line also.

I also didn't understand it as a reference to her actual age. Also, I thought the "wrong" line was a reference to him being playing with her heart when he knew fully well how she felt about him. Her knowing what she was doing would be a reference of her knowing what he's like and going with it anyway. And even if we take her age into account (which, I think, is only mentioned in the script) the age of consent in that period was 16 (I think). But since the film itself doesn't refer to her age in any way it is a non-issue.

What's really funny is that people will find issues with this and yet Temple of Doom seems to be made solely out of ingredients designed to trigger modern audiences. I mean, it ticks almost every single box. It's hilarious. 😆

Karol 

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Certainly the way Lucas describes it in those script sessions is sleazy

That's a transcript of Lucas et al talking, so there's the whole issue of the tone of the conversation which we can't ascertain through the text.

I'm told the tone of the conversation here starts off very facetious.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I recently listened a podcast episode where they (Retronauts, a video game podcast) discussed this film and one of the hosts said that as originally written and filmed (I believe his source was the Rinzler book), that girl would have been seen in Indy's house. Spielberg was smart to cut that! 

That seems like that would conflict with Spielberg's usual story that 1st AD David Tomblin came up with the "Love You" thing on the day of shooting, just picking a random girl in the front row. Unless they considered adding her to another scene afterward, but Spielberg's always made it out like that wasn't in the script. 

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

The whole thing is actually revealing as to the really odd view of intimate relationships Lucas had.

It'd be interesting to have a look at the second draft of The Empire Strikes Back, the only draft of that film actually written by Lucas, and see how the Han-Leia relationship fares in that one.

Interesting, level-headed discussion :)

@Edmilson ... I in no way condone or excuse abuse either, just to be clear on that. I also have a friend who's been through it ... she consequently has depression, but she's an amazingly strong person. I admire her so, so much. 

It's just that I tire of the seeming obsession of the modern generation with judgementally tearing down everything MY generation enjoyed because it doesn't measure up to their *standards*. 

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It's just that I tire of the seeming obsession of the modern generation with judgementally tearing down everything

The difference between the level-headed man of the 21st century and the Twitterati is that the former can acknowledge problematic aspects in a piece of art as problematic without them (a) condemning the piece as a whole or (b) necessitating the piece being "cancelled." The Indy example is a lighterweight: Wait until Twitter discovers James Bond ostensibly raping Pussy Galore into being straight. Does it detract from Goldfinger for me? Absolutely. Does it mean its a despicable work that should be scrapped? No.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Does it detract from Goldfinger for me? Absolutely.

Detract in what way?

And to circle this back, does any of Indys personal behaviour detract from your enjoyment of those films?

Today’s SF Chronicle has a piece on the 40th anniversary of Raiders’ release to theaters. Nothing in it revelatory, although the writer mentions a couple of Bay Area venues were used in filming (something I didn’t know).

FCD144F6-88E8-4007-B83C-D2E714B2A4B2.jpeg

724D3450-CD40-4C91-84FB-0E581D83E852.jpeg

There's been a lot of Raiders in the news lately, b/c of the anniversary & the 4K release. A podcast I listen to, The Rewatchables, did Raiders for their most recent episode.

I wonder which direction Disney will go after this movie....more films with a new (no doubt female) globe-trotting archaeologist, or a Disney+ series?  There's no way we don't get more time in the ICU (Indiana Cinematic Universe) after Ford hangs up the fedora. The Mouse didn't buy this property to not monetize it.

7 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

There's been a lot of Raiders in the news lately, b/c of the anniversary & the 4K release. A podcast I listen to, The Rewatchables, did Raiders for their most recent episode.

I wonder which direction Disney will go after this movie....more films with a new (no doubt female) globe-trotting archaeologist, or a Disney+ series?

I mean, don't we already have an established character along those lines? It's hardly anything new:

image.jpeg

Of course, Carmen Sandiego is I guess a bit shadier than Indiana Jones, but the inspiration is clear I think.

Yavar

Maybe they can convice Shia to star on a new Disney+ show about his character? It'll be named "Mutt: An Indiana Jones Story".

After all, they did conviced Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor to do some more Star Wars.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

Very true!

Well yes that's another example, though in terms of costume I think mine is the clearer link... I have trouble picturing Harrison Ford in that outfit...

13 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

There's no way we don't get more in the ICU (Indiana Cinematic Universe) after Ford hangs up the fedora. The Mouse didn't buy this property to not monetize it.

I mean, how long ago did they buy the property? 2012? If they're only releasing a new Indiana Jones film ten years after that, I wouldn't say they exactly rushed to monetize it. Essentially they didn't cash in until a decade after buying it!

Yavar

The hold up on a new Indy film was always Spielberg and the script. Disney wasn't going to do anything without Spielberg driving it, especially given that his long time collaborator is running Lucasfilm.  Once Spielberg stepped aside it all came together pretty quickly actually.

Assuming this film is successful (and even if its not), Disney will certainly be mining this franchise for more.

15 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I wonder which direction Disney will go after this movie....more films with a new (no doubt female) globe-trotting archaeologist, or a Disney+ series?  There's no way we don't get more time in the ICU (Indiana Cinematic Universe) after Ford hangs up the fedora. The Mouse didn't buy this property to not monetize it.

The Mutt thing didn't 'land', so this time ... Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character turns out to be a DAUGHTER Indy knew nothing about. 

Disney is proud to present ... The Adventures Of Diana Jones!  

Ugh.... please don't get delayed... please don't get delayed...

Well, a fight scene involving his shoulder means throwing a few punches. At least they're keeping things physical!

Just now, Jay said:

Meh, if a delay means less conflict with Fabelmans scoring I'm all for it

Unless it's all been mapped out perfectly and a delay for Indy actually creates a scheduling conflict for JW...

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Harrison Ford injuring himself, not for the first time.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-injury-1235003412/

I'm sure he'll be alright. Let's not forget that this is not the first time Harrison Ford injured himself. He sustained a leg injury while filming Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens, and everything turned out great in the end; he recovered, and things resumed as scheduled. Despite being 78 years old, Harrison Ford is in remarkable shape.

I really hope this doesn't get delayed. If Indy 5's release date get pushed to November or December, it'll certainly conflict with The Fablemans. 

And I don't think 90 year old John Williams will be able to score both films with a pretty close release date, like did 20 years ago.

Lucasfilm and Disney released a statement: "In the course of rehearsing for a fight scene, Harrison Ford sustained an injury involving his shoulder. Production will continue while the appropriate course of treatment is evaluated, and the filming schedule will be reconfigured as needed in the coming weeks." (Source: https://deadline.com/2021/06/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-injures-shoulder-rehearsing-fight-scene-production-shoot-around-recovery-1234780040)

I don't think the film release will be delayed. They'll make it work while allowing Harrison Ford to fully recover as needed. Everything will work out.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

At least it's easier to shoot around a shoulder injury, unlike a leg (TFA) or back injury (TOD).

That's actually a really good point

On 6/15/2021 at 1:46 PM, Nick1066 said:

There's no way we don't get more time in the ICU (Indiana Cinematic Universe) after Ford hangs up the fedora. The Mouse didn't buy this property to not monetize it.

From your mouth to God's ears. New plot of Indy 5 incoming.

It's not looking too promising. Ford looks really old from the few leaked shots  but I bet they will CGI de-age him so he doesn't look at deaths' door

What's that fablemens thing?  Whatever it is it's 100% certain there will be a scheduling conflict.

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

What's that fablemens thing?  Whatever it is it's 100% certain there will be a scheduling conflict.

Are you serious?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33597-finally-a-new-spielberg-project

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33598-john-williams-to-score-spielbergs-next