Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

I think it's just baseless speculation after Ford was spotted with facial markers on location (for de-aging VFX).

Just as easily explained by flashbacks to other time periods. Based on the footage, there's an extended sequence involving Indy battling Nazis during WWII. I'd guess Mads is introduced as a Nazi in that timeline but escapes, then re-emerges in the "present day" storyline.

I’d heard that actors had been seen dressed as Romans and people from other time periods too though. Also, I thought it was the movie’s artifact itself that acts as a time machine.

I'm curious about the shot around 1:10. Very blurry but seems to be inside a plane cockpit, flying into a giant blue lightning portal?!

The shot atop the train looks interesting too, like they're traveling though a portal (but probably just heavy mist).

Surprised the New York parade sequence looks heavily enhanced with VFX, considering it was all shot practically. Guess they had to add the legitimate 1960s NYC skyline.

Wonder if any unused concepts from previous films finally emerge in this one?

Was always partial to the unused plane dogfight in Frank Darabont's Indy 4 script. Also the scene where Indy gets drunk in a museum while looking at artifacts he collected. 

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Also the scene where Indy gets drunk in a museum while looking at artifacts he collected. 

Based on what people had mentioned about the D23 teaser, I assumed something similar in vain to this would appear, and after finally being able to see it, we might get something similar to this.

Also, do we know if this scene was filmed or was it just in one of the scripts?

On 29/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, crumbs said:

I think it's just baseless speculation after Ford was spotted with facial markers on location (for de-aging VFX).

Just as easily explained by flashbacks to other time periods. Based on the footage, there's an extended sequence involving Indy battling Nazis during WWII. I'd guess Mads is introduced as a Nazi in that timeline but escapes, then re-emerges in the "present day" storyline.

It will be really weird for there to be flashbacks in the film as none of the other Indy movies have used these. Unless you count the opening of Last Crusade as a flashback. If it was an opening teaser that plays out in real time during WW2, then we jump to the present at the end, that would work. 

But I am REALLY hoping for no time travel nonsense. 

On 29/09/2022 at 12:05 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Still listening to my Rise of Skywalker 5 CD set

I've been out of the loop on this forum for soooo long......if possible, can someone PM me details about this set and where I might look to find it (and other expanded/unreleased cue list soundtracks for Episode 7-9 etc.)??  It would be amazing to hear the music that JW composed for these films in their entirety

On 29/09/2022 at 7:14 PM, WampaRat said:

Just for comparison:

This was a damn good teaser. Even watching it now it gets me excited. And then I remember “..oh yeah…I saw this…”😔

This conjures up images of a much better film than we actually got. Even the "part time" take they used in the trailer is better than the film version.

Think I'm gonna avoid watching any footage of the new one in advance just to temper expectations. I hope there's no time travel nonsesnse involved...that's even dumber than aliens. A prologue set back in the 30's/40's with a deaged Harrison Ford I could handle.

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

I haven’t watched this. I’m going spoiler free.  And it’s really requiring discipline, because I haven’t looked forward to a film this much in I don’t know how long. 

You’re gonna go spoiler free all the way??

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Yes as much as I can.  I do that with all the Lucasfilm movies, and in general most movies I really care about.   Sometimes I accidentally drill through a post and happen upon a spoiler, which is a drag. 

You’ve got more control than i do. As soon as I saw that it leaked i immediately clicked the link🤣🤣

I mean, I’m sure I’d enjoy it almost as much, but seeing scenes makes me anticipate when they’re coming while I’m watching it, so I’m not really all in.   My favorite teaser is the Terminator 2 one that simply shows the assembly line of the Terminator.   That’s how you get me excited about a movie. 

It’s all delayed gratification and getting the most I can out of the first view experience. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

My favorite teaser is the Terminator 2 one that simply shows the assembly line of the Terminator.   That’s how you get me excited about a movie. 

Yessssss that teaser is so brilliant!

4 hours ago, Andy said:

I mean, I’m sure I’d enjoy it almost as much, but seeing scenes makes me anticipate when they’re coming while I’m watching it, so I’m not really all in.   My favorite teaser is the Terminator 2 one that simply shows the assembly line of the Terminator.   That’s how you get me excited about a movie. 

It’s all delayed gratification and getting the most I can out of the first view experience. 

I also avoid trailers when I can. I don’t see the point of getting big reveals in the trailer on my phone than in the cinema or when watching a TV season.

On 01/10/2022 at 3:39 AM, Anthony said:

This conjures up images of a much better film than we actually got. Even the "part time" take they used in the trailer is better than the film version.

The "part time" moment when watching the movie the first time really sucked what little wind was left in my sails. 

It's difficult for me to recall just when KOTCS went south. The Paramount gopher; nuking the fridge; the awful digital matte painting of Peru market; Mutt doing a (very bad) impression of THE WILD ONE. These were all terrible. At the end, I was left with an overwhelming sense of disappointment.

Such a cast; such a director; such a waste.

I also enjoyed the whole warehouse sequence. That was fun :) It actually felt like Spielberg was invested a bit more in that part.  

I think I was onboard the film as a decent romp until they hit the cave and find the skull and then sit at a Russian camp forever. Juuuust drags. 

I was all for Crystal Skull up until the end of the bike sequence. That sequence was the absolute highlight for me. And then they went to Peru and things quickly went down hill.

2 hours ago, WampaRat said:

they hit the cave and find the skull and then sit at a Russian camp forever. Juuuust drags. 

This.

28 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I was all for Crystal Skull up until the end of the bike sequence. That sequence was the absolute highlight for me. And then they went to Peru and things quickly went down hill.

In other words, once the plot actually started moving...ROTFLMAO

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

A big problem with KOTC is that they only filmed in the USA, so every foreign location looks extremely fake. 

Exactly. The same problem also plagued last year's Jungle Cruise.

One of the best things about movies like those is the possibility of seeing exotic locations. But this simply doesn't happen when you're filming in a comfortable LA set.

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Exactly. The same problem also plagued last year's Jungle Cruise.

One of the best things about movies like those is the possibility of seeing exotic locations. But this simply doesn't happen when you're filming in a comfortable LA set.

Yeah. I wanted to have a good time with Jungle Cruise. You could tell Disney wanted a Mummy Meets PoTC. But there was zero tension for me. But it just felt kinda blah.

Man. It’s fun to see all the interest in a bootlegged low quality Indy teaser. Reminds me of when the Batman ‘89 teaser came out and people would sell bootlegged VHS copies of it 😁

I’ve definitely watched this more than any responsible adult should. 

47 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Man. It’s fun to see all the interest in a bootlegged low quality Indy teaser. Reminds me of when the Batman ‘89 teaser came out and people would sell bootlegged VHS copies of it 😁

That's awesome:lol: