Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Likewise I take your point that KOTCS was just a rubbish script that would have sucked regardless of locations, but their refusal to film outside the US was more a reflection of how lazily Spielberg treated that movie. And the script was clearly informed by that mindset. 

You would write a completely different story if you knew they were prepared to film globally. There were clearly caveats placed on Koepp to only have locations which could be doubled by US locations or backlots. The rest was filled in by CGI, which they assured us wouldn't happen. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

instead of awkwardly throwing punches and wrestling with Col. Dovchenko.

Good scene, one of the best in the film! One of the few times the movie actually adresses Indy's age physically. The last times he went mano a mano with The Muscle, they were gargantuan brutes that clearly outclassed him. (He didn't really go toe to toe with Vogel the same way, so I'm not counting The Last Crusade). Here though, he gets in a fistfight with...a soldier. Lean and mean, sure, but he actually looks like a normal dude. 

They could've trumped up this aspect even more, but hey. 

Spielberg wanted Indy's daughter in Indy 5 but Lucas wanted a son, probably just to kickstart a spinoff franchise (and look how well that turned out).

I wouldn't rule out that idea being revisited. I quite liked the surrogate father approach Ford gave Solo with Rey in TFA.

• 6 months later...

Looks like Kasdan's out and Fogelman's in, according to a new report on Making Star Wars.

My sources tell me that the Jon Kasdan script for Indiana Jones 5 has now been pushed onto Cars and This is Us writer Dan Fogelman who is penning the next installment of Indiana Jones.

My sources believe the idea for the Kasdan Indy 5 script Jon Kasdan was working on focused on the Wałbrzych Gold Train legend. Supposedly, a train full of Nazi gold went missing near the Polish city of Wałbrzych. The train departed from Breslau with gold, masterpieces, weapons and other unknown priceless artifacts. It was then hidden in a series of mines dug by the Nazis.

My sources believe Dan Fogelman’s premise is not the same as the one in the Kasdan script. At this time it isn’t known what the MacGuffin that Fogelman is using for Indy 5 but they’re convinced he’s current writer on the picture.

Disappointing to hear this idea has been scrapped because it's quite a fun premise for an Indy film! Also means Spielberg is open to returning to a Nazi-driven storyline (which surprises me given the film's likely timeframe of the late 60's to early 70's).

With another change in writers (and starting from scratch with the script yet again), I can't see this shooting by next year for a 2021 release. Sadly I doubt Williams will end up scoring this film, the longer it gets delayed.

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Disgusting to hear that they're letting Jared Fogle write the next Indiana Jones film

South Park said he lost weight using aides. I wonder if prison gave him real AIDS yet. 

4 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

That is dissapointing, really. Would Spielberg be up for working with Powell, do you think? I get chills just thinking of what he could do with the Raiders March. 

Alan Silvester?

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Looks like Kasdan's out and Fogelman's in, according to a new report on Making Star Wars.

Disappointing to hear this idea has been scrapped because it's quite a fun premise for an Indy film! Also means Spielberg is open to returning to a Nazi-driven storyline (which surprises me given the film's likely timeframe of the late 60's to early 70's).

With another change in writers (and starting from scratch with the script yet again), I can't see this shooting by next year for a 2021 release. Sadly I doubt Williams will end up scoring this film, the longer it gets delayed.

Bill Ross will do the scoring by adapting existing themes from the franchise.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:50 AM, Alex said:

Mutt died on the way back to his home planet

Don't you mean the space between spaces?

Anyway, with his getting most likely delayed further, I wouldn't even worry about JW not doing this, but Ford being out even before him.

Young Indiana Jones was a show I could never bring myself to enjoy despite my eternal devotion to Lucas and McCallum, but even the terrible Harrison Ford scenes are better than Indy IV.

Since it is scheduled to come out only 7 months after Spielberg's West Side Story, it should actually be shot before West Side Story is even in theaters

I wonder if he's still going to make that Jennifer Lawrence movie, or The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, or Blackhawk, or that Leonard Bernstein biopic, or that Gershwin biopic...

EDIT: OMG, this is a simultaneously funny and sad read

A Decade of Steven Spielberg Not Making Up His Mind

Oh, the films (and scores!) that could have been...

On 5/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, Jay said:

wonder if he's still going to make that Jennifer Lawrence movie, or The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, or Blackhawk, or that Leonard Bernstein biopic, or that Gershwin biopic...

Pirate Latitudes...

• 2 weeks later...

I think Pratt could totally pull of a good performance of Indiana Jones if they decided to reboot the whole thing.  But I don't think they need to reboot the whole thing. I also don't think they need to make a fifth film, but I'd rather have that (starring Harrison and directed by Spielberg) than a reboot

Chris Pratt is a wrong choice for one reason: the character we are talking about is doctor Jones who breaks Nazi bones (yes), not an adventure goofball. He must be believable as worthy of the Grail, of magical stones, worthy of surviving The Ark of the Covenant going nucular nearby and as lecturer with half a library in his head. Harrison Ford is funny by being the straight man in comedic situations, and chill to the point of grumpiness everywhere else. This way, whenever he smiles, it feels earned. This also requires good scripts.

I think I would rather see a very serious actor who is not known for action-comedy movies to do it. Like Anthony Hopkins in The Edge, Benedict Cumberbatch in Avengers, Patrick Stewart in the Star Treks, etc.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes! It's just wrong to reboot the character or the franchise. 

Why can't people get over the fact that there's nothing wrong with a franchise ending? It happened, it was great, the end. Nowadays new ideas are rare so we have to suck every last drop of creative juice out of these old franchises. No one is disputing the fact that Indy's a great character, but things must end sometime and that's okay.

And enough with Chris Pratt, he's in everything! 

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

Why can't people get over the fact that there's nothing wrong with a franchise ending? It happened, it was great, the end. No one is disputing the fact that Indy's a great character, but things must end sometime and that's okay.

Exactly!

CC: Marvel's Phase 4; Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Tempted to throw Fantastic Beasts in there for good measure, too.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Jon Hamm 

I found out Batman die-hards have been petitioning for a John Hamm Dark Knight for years, but now that you say it...