Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's one series of films I'd like more of, it is Indiana Jones. The concept just begs for it.

There's an infinite number of stories that could be told with that idea. And some of them would even be good.

(Just not the ones involving aliens... :P )

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Indiana Jones 5. The only film where going to sleep at 18:00 is a plot point!

He’ll be like Tom Hanks in Bridge of Spies where he has a cold and wants to take a nap the whole second half.

28 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

He’ll be like Tom Hanks in Bridge of Spies where he has a cold and wants to take a nap the whole second half.

Watching that movie made me feel exactly the way Tom Hanks character did.

Until we've got Indiana Jones 5, at least we've got a new TV series to hold us over:

I watched the first episode and it's really all the fun adventure stuff rolled into one.

Including, but not limited to:

- A good but goofy main character

- A tremendously cute but decidedly-less-good love interest

- Archaeological treasure,

- Evil bad guys

- Familiar faces

- References to all sorts of other adventure movies (some dialog from Star Wars, the "objects in the mirror"-shot from Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones got name-dropped altogether)

- An orchestral score by Kyle Newmaster (who, I believe, also wrote music for Star Wars: The Old Republic)

Don't expect anything serious, switch off your brain and prepare to smile all the way through! :lol:

3 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Until we've got Indiana Jones 5, at least we've got a new TV series to hold us over:

I'll be watching this instead:

16 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I watched the first episode and it's really all the fun adventure stuff rolled into one.

Including, but not limited to:

- A good but goofy main character

- A tremendously cute but decidedly-less-good love interest

- Archaeological treasure,

- Evil bad guys

- Familiar faces

- References to all sorts of other adventure movies (some dialog from Star Wars, the "objects in the mirror"-shot from Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones got name-dropped altogether)

- An orchestral score by Kyle Newmaster (who, I believe, also wrote music for Star Wars: The Old Republic)

Don't expect anything serious, switch off your brain and prepare to smile all the way through! :lol:

Is it better than "Hooten and the Lady"? Because that was a cheap and unexciting borefest. How it scored so highly on IMDB is beyond me.

35 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Is it better than "Hooten and the Lady"? Because that was a cheap and unexciting borefest. How it scored so highly on IMDB is beyond me.

Hadn't heard of "Hooten and the Lady" before. Looked it up just now and I suppose that's one more for the to-watch list!

At the moment it's difficult to do any quality judgment on Blood & Treasure.

The first two episodes were from last week, so it's very recent.

I'll be sticking with it for a while, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Holland will star as young Nathan Drake and the movie is a prequel to the games.[60] TV writer Rafe Judkins was brought on to rework the script.[61] On December 19, 2018, it was announced that Levy had stepped down from directing the movie.[62] On January 14, 2019, Variety reported that Dan Trachtenberg had signed on to direct the film.[63] On March 29, 2019, The GWW reported that Chris Hemsworth, Matthew McConaughey, Chris Pine and Woody Harrelson are on the shortlist for Sully.[64]

Probably not

12 minutes ago, The Original said:

77 is old.

Not at all. Neither "in real life", nor in this particular universe, nor in the case of Ford who's unusually sprightly for his age. Depends entirely on how they write it. I would love for a fifth INDY film to be more in line with the YOUNG INDY series -- less gung ho histrionics, more on the characters and events.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not at all. Neither "in real life", nor in this particular universe, nor in the case of Ford who's unusually sprightly for his age. Depends entirely on how they write it. I would love for a fifth INDY film to be more in line with the YOUNG INDY series -- less gung ho histrionics, more on the characters and events.

I guess it depends on what you mean by old. Since 77 years of age is close to the average male human life expectancy, it's not unreasonable to say that's old.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by old. Since 77 years of age is close to the average male human life expectancy, it's not unreasonable to say that's old.

Well, in Thor's alternate reality the Germans secured the cup of Christ and his people have benefited from eternal life ever since. So, 77 IS young, from a certain point of view.

• 3 months later...

Well here's some godawful news to wake up to. Koepp is back on the film after leaving it over year ago to let some more talented writers have a crack. 

http://www.darkhorizons.com/bright-2-stumbles-indiana-jones-5-revives/

Seriously would rather the film just died than have Koepp back as screenwriter. How many failures does this guy need attached to his name before he stops getting high profile gigs? If Spielberg is serious about rectifying all the mistakes of the last film, bringing back the damn screenwriter is not the way to do it. This stinks of the same last-minute rush to make a release date that KOCS had, when Koepp came in to "fix" things. 

Look how that turned out: awful pacing, one-dimensional villains, flat attempts at humour, famed actors wasted in awful roles, and a nebulous objective never made clear (and an even more confusing climax once we're finally put out of our misery). Granted Koepp might only be responsible for half these issues but his script did nothing to improve the situation. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Well here's some godawful news to wake up to. Koepp is back on the film after leaving it over year ago to let some more talented writers have a crack. 

http://www.darkhorizons.com/bright-2-stumbles-indiana-jones-5-revives/

Seriously would rather the film just died than have Koepp back as screenwriter. How many failures does this guy need attached to his name before he stops getting high profile gigs? If Spielberg is serious about rectifying all the mistakes of the last film, bringing back the damn screenwriter is not the way to do it. This stinks of the same last-minute rush to make a release date that KOCS had, when Koepp came in to "fix" things. 

Look how that turned out: awful pacing, one-dimensional villains, flat attempts at humour, famed actors wasted in awful roles, and a nebulous objective never made clear (and an even more confusing climax once we're finally put out of our misery). Granted Koepp might only be responsible for half these issues but his script did nothing to improve the situation. 

In all honesty, I've seen a whole lot of different story treatments for Indy IV.

The one we got was not even remotely good enough.

But it was still the least crappy of the bunch.

If they don't have aliens this time around, that'll be a huge step up at least.