Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

JW could conceivably be in his 90s by the time this gets released. I know it has a 2021 date, but it was at one time due to come out last year.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will happen as scheduled. If WSS is already recording the music, the edit must be nearly locked.

Once Spielberg hands the film off to the visual effects team, he will focus solely on Indy.

As a Williams fan, I would love this movie to happen, but I can't say I'm excited to watch it, just to listen to the OST.

I mean, considering Ford's age, this movie will be set on the late 60s or early 70s. It's not exactly an interesting period. Will the russians be villains again, after the KOTCS fiasco? Maybe Indy on Vietnam? Or on Woodstock?

The 20s and 30s are more interesting and exotic for a pulpy adventure in a way that the Cold War is not.

Yeah, but The Mummy is set in 1926 ;).

What I meant is that the early XX century, until the WWII, is more interesting for movies about adventurers and lost treasures than the Cold War. I dunno, maybe the WWII made the technology advance in such a way that took all the magic, exotism and mysticism necessary for these movies, but anyway.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:23 PM, mstrox said:

The 1980s are as far away from Raiders' release now as the 1940s were at that time.  Give us Ford looking for something in the 1980s!

He will investigate where do Gremlins come from. I can already imagine old Ford looking grumpily at all these puppets and punching them.

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The 1980s are as far away from Raiders' release now as the 1940s were at that time.  Give us Ford looking for something in the 1980s!

This will result in full uroboros, the studio telling Spielberg he needs to make it like Stranger Things and him saying "I made Stranger Things back in 1982!" Also telling John Williams his music needs to sound more like "the 80s" which now means heavily compressed 808s and arpeggiators. 

21 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Raiders came out in 1981 and was set in 1936, 45 years prior.

45 years after 1981 is 2026

45 years prior to 2021 is 1976

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Raiders came out in 1981 and was set in 1935, 46 years prior.

46 years after 1981 is 2027

46 years prior to 2021 is 1975

Well, there's no way there's not going to be a scene with Indiana Jones walking by a movie theater with "JAWS" on the marquee.

All right, so Ford will be 77/78 during the filming of Indy 5.

Indy was born in 1899 (I think), which means that, if he has the same age as Ford by the time of the movie, it will be set in 1976/77. Maybe 75, so in that way there can be a scene on which he passes by a movie theater exhibiting Jaws.

But I dunno how can they make an Indiana Jones movie on the mid-70s. It's one of the most boring time periods for a movie. Unless they make a conspiracy thriller involving the government and Watergate, but still...

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

All right, so Ford will be 77/78 during the filming of Indy 5.

Indy was born in 1899 (I think), which means that, if he has the same age as Ford by the time of the movie, it will be set in 1976/77. Maybe 75, so in that way there can be a scene on which he passes by a movie theater exhibiting Jaws.

But I dunno how can they make an Indiana Jones movie on the mid-70s. It's one of the most boring time periods for a movie. Unless they make a conspiracy thriller involving the government and Watergate, but still...

The Vietnam War comes to mind, but would be weird territory for an Indy movie.

16 minutes ago, wowbobwow said:

The Vietnam War comes to mind, but would be weird territory for an Indy movie.

I guess byy mid 70s the Vietnam War had already pretty much ended, right? At least US' involvement on it.

34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

...unless they make a conspiracy thriller involving the government and Watergate, but still...

Hmm. INDIANA JONES AND THE CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Once Spielberg hands the film off to the visual effects team...

"visual effects"? In dancing?!

Maybe the Vietnam War idea is not so bad after all. I can imagine an older Ford flying on a helicopter with some american soldiers over the forests in Nam, with Fortunate Son playing on the background, as Indy needs to find some ancient relics amidst the ravaging war.

This could be Williams first rock n roll score, with a more proeminent participation of electric guitars!

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I mean, considering Ford's age, this movie will be set on the late 60s or early 70s. It's not exactly an interesting period. Will the russians be villains again, after the KOTCS fiasco? Maybe Indy on Vietnam? Or on Woodstock?

The 20s and 30s are more interesting and exotic for a pulpy adventure in a way that the Cold War is not.

There’s pulpy adventure in the 60s! Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, James Bond, Batman, Gilligan’s Island, Star Trek (they visited the 60s twice!), The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Mission: Impossible, Get Smart, Scooby Doo………!

Great fun!

But, you know, I agree, it’s not Indiana Jones. So here’s what you do. Start as a cold war spy adventure with Indiana Jones and Daisy Ridley running through underground industrial complexes, disarming laser traps, using gadgets like pen-guns and shoe-phones, getting shot at by guys in suits, and they solve some puzzle and a secret compartment in a metallic wall opens to reveal the MacGuffin. They’re coming, we’re trapped, call Chief, “What do we do?” “Use the device!” They use the device and… We hear the Nazi theme from Last Crusade. “The 30s! Nazis! I hate Nazis!”

Kong: Skull Island is not a great movie by any means, but I guess it provides a decent template for an Indy 5. Set on the 70s, a group of explorers (including the Loki actor cosplaying as Indy) and some soldiers from the Vietnam War go to an island crowded with monsters and Kong.

Sure, the monster part isn't obligatory (imagine almost 80-year-old Ford battling CGI monsters?), but it provides a decent mix of 1930s pulp adventure with the hard rock filled with acid climate of the 70s Vietnam.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 4:32 AM, Alex said:

JW could conceivably be in his 90s by the time this gets released. I know it has a 2021 date, but it was at one time due to come out last year.

Well, everyone's getting up there in years. They'd better do it now.

so now that Indiana Jones begins filming in 2 months I wonder who will be in the cast with him. Most of his contemporaries are dead. 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:55 PM, Edmilson said:

But I dunno how can they make an Indiana Jones movie on the mid-70s. It's one of the most boring time periods for a movie.

Only solution: time-travel MacGuffin

Interesting

Indiana Jones 5 Will "See Part of His History Resolved," According to Harrison Ford

The Indy actor promises "we’ll see new developments in his life."

The Indiana Jones films have so far explored a range of the globe-trotting archaeologist’s life. The Last Crusade portrayed Indy’s youth as well as his role as a son. The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull depicted Indy as a father and ended with him marrying his former flame Marion Ravenwood. So what does actor Harrison Ford -- who recently revealed that he begins filming Indiana Jones 5 in the next couple of months -- want to see explored about his iconic character in the next sequel?

IGN got the chance to ask Ford that very question at the press junket for his newest film, The Call of the Wild, and while he was reluctant to spill too many beans the actor did promise that Indy 5 will “see part of [Indy’s] history resolved.”

“Well, I’m not going to share the story with you because that doesn’t seem like a good idea,” Ford began. “But we’ll see new developments in his life, his relationship. We’ll see part of his history resolved.”

Ford added, “It’s a very good script. I’m looking forward to it.” That script was most recently worked on by Jonathan Kasdan, one of the writers of Solo: A Star Wars Story and the son of original Raiders of the Lost Ark screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan.

So which part of Indy’s history will the film resolve? Will fans finally learn what happened to Indy’s young Temple of Doom sidekick Short Round? Could an adult version of the character appear in this new adventure? Or will Indy once again receive help from his old pal Sallah? (Actor John Rhys-Davies certainly has ideas about how Sallah could return.)

While Ford didn’t directly mention actress Karen Allen or Marion in his chat with us, his remark about Indy 5 seeing “new developments in his life, his relationship” would seem to indicate that Marion plays a role in the story.

Whether or not Indy and Marion’s son, Mutt, played in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by Shia LaBeouf, also returns remains to be seen, but it seems doubtful. David Koepp, who wrote the previous draft of Indy 5 before Kasdan, said in 2017 that Mutt wasn’t in his version of the story.

LaBeouf’s possible exclusion from Indy 5 shouldn’t really come as a surprise, though, given his very public criticisms of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Koepp also said at the time that Indiana Jones creator George Lucas is not involved in the fifth film.

One key creative who will return is director Steven Spielberg, who’s currently in post-production on his remake of West Side Story. Indiana Jones 5 is slated to open July 9, 2021.

https://sea.ign.com/harrison-ford/157838/news/indiana-jones-5-will-see-part-of-his-history-resolved-according-to-harrison-ford

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Call Of The Wild is an adventure movie, so maybe it will let us see just how capable Ford still is when it comes to the physical stuff,   

...with someone half his age.

I’d be interested to find out who is actually excited for this film. I expect most of this forum only maintain interest because of JW’s involvement.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

looks at Crystal Skull

Not even for that really, JW can spend his time better.

My stock response to this is always “Yeah but will he.”

I want film scores from this man! Period! He’s clearly either not accepting or being offered the variety I’d like. But it is still Indiana Jones and if this is apparently the only shot for two years (or forever) at a movie soundtrack from John Williams, then I want.

i am a bit excited, because I hope that the movie will learn from the mistakes of the last one, and will be a more satisfying conclusion to the Indy saga. And one more Indy score by Williams, of course!! I am still waiting for the Raiders march theme transformed to a Vienna waltz!